Before you post please read how to get help
Newbie_from_NJ
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 18.2 HWE Kernels

Postby Newbie_from_NJ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:06 am

Hello,

Today, I read the following statement:

"From Linux Mint 18.2 onward, your Mint has an HWE kernel. That's a kernel series that's only supported for a short period.

This means that if you want all security updates for the kernel of Mint 18.2 and higher, you'll have to upgrade to a newer kernel series from time to time. Such a newer kernel series will be offered to you in Update Manager, as soon as your current HWE kernel reaches end of life."

SOURCE: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... WE-kernels

My system currently has kernel 4.10.0-37-generic installed, which I now know it's only supported for a short period. When I run Update Manager/View/Linux kernels/ I see Kernel series 4.11 and 4.13 available.

QUESTIONS:
1. Being that I see new series 4.11 and 4.13, does that mean that my current kernel has reached its end of life?
2. How do I know when my kernel has reached its end of life?
3. Am I now missing a bunch of security updates and I need to upgrade my kernel to 4.13 series?

I'm a bit confused. Can someone please clarify. I was under the impression that you really don't need to update the kernel, unless absolutely necessary.

Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux Mint 18.2 HWE Kernels

Postby Pjotr » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:05 am

Newbie_from_NJ wrote:Hello,

Today, I read the following statement:

"From Linux Mint 18.2 onward, your Mint has an HWE kernel. That's a kernel series that's only supported for a short period.

This means that if you want all security updates for the kernel of Mint 18.2 and higher, you'll have to upgrade to a newer kernel series from time to time. Such a newer kernel series will be offered to you in Update Manager, as soon as your current HWE kernel reaches end of life."

SOURCE: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... WE-kernels

My system currently has kernel 4.10.0-37-generic installed, which I now know it's only supported for a short period. When I run Update Manager/View/Linux kernels/ I see Kernel series 4.11 and 4.13 available.

QUESTIONS:
1. Being that I see new series 4.11 and 4.13, does that mean that my current kernel has reached its end of life?

No, there's an overlap.

2. How do I know when my kernel has reached its end of life?

Then you should be offered a kernel from a newer series, as a level 4 security update. I'll add this further clarification to the text on my website....

3. Am I now missing a bunch of security updates and I need to upgrade my kernel to 4.13 series?

No. :)

I was under the impression that you really don't need to update the kernel, unless absolutely necessary.

Well, yes and no.... The risk of having an old, un-maintained kernel is limited, especially for desktop users (servers are another matter).

Because although kernel updates may (and usually do) contain security fixes, attackers ordinarily focus on other system parts. Like your web browser, your email client and your media player.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Newbie_from_NJ
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 18.2 HWE Kernels

Postby Newbie_from_NJ » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:46 am

It is amazing how the the actual author of the online publication I read about answered my questions in this forum!

I would like to personally thank you for your guides. I have learned so much from them. I just sent you a donation as a small token of my appreciation for what you do for us newbies.

Thanks again.

Return to “Software & Applications”