Thunderbird 52.4.0 connection issues . . .

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
whiteEagle
Level 1
Level 1

Thunderbird 52.4.0 connection issues . . .

Postby whiteEagle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:00 am

Linux Mint 18.2
Thunderbird 52.4.0
openssl 1.02g-1ubuntu4.9 (updated 11-6-17)

Thunderbird 52.4.0 was working perfectly with several bundled mail accounts: cinergymetro.net, gmail.com, safe-mail.com

I shutdown the laptop to leave the house, and when I brought it back several hours later, Thunderbird would not connect to any mail servers. I can neither send nor receive e-mail with Thunderbird. As a test, I installed "claws-mail," and it connects properly to my mail servers with the same settings as Thunderbird. That "seems" to indicate there are no problems with the mail servers such as updates or changes in security.

The only "change" I see with my system is the recent upgrade of "openssl" from 4.8 to 4.9 which occurred just prior to my shutdown.

When receiving, it never completes the connection to the mail server. I download no mail. When sending, it returns the error:

Sending of the message failed.
    An error occurred while sending mail: Could not get password for smtp.cinergymetro.net. The message was not sent.

I restarted in "Safe Mode" then read the "Error Console"

Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///usr/lib/thunderbird/chrome.manifest'.
    : Component returned failure code: 0x805a1f9b [nsIPK11Token.initPassword] crypto-SDR.js:66
    Error: Initialization failed storage-json.js:90:13
    NS_ERROR_XPC_JAVASCRIPT_ERROR_WITH_DETAILS: [JavaScript Error: "Initialization failed" {file: "resource://gre/components/storage-json.js" line: 90}]'[JavaScript Error: "Initialization failed" {file: "resource://gre/components/storage-json.js" line: 90}]' when calling method: [nsILoginManagerStorage::initialize] nsLoginManager.js:134
    : Component returned failure code: 0x805a1f9b [nsIPK11Token.initPassword] crypto-SDR.js:66
    NS_ERROR_XPC_JAVASCRIPT_ERROR_WITH_DETAILS: [JavaScript Error: "Initialization failed" {file: "resource://gre/components/storage-json.js" line: 90}]'[JavaScript Error: "Initialization failed" {file: "resource://gre/components/storage-json.js" line: 90}]' when calling method: [nsILoginManagerStorage::initialize] nsLoginManager.js:134
    NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService] msgOAuth2Module.js:99
    Error in parsing value for ‘box-sizing’. Declaration dropped. start-style.css:96:14
    Error in parsing value for ‘box-sizing’. Declaration dropped. start-style.css:152:14
    Error in parsing value for ‘box-sizing’. Declaration dropped. start-style.css:212:14
    Expected media feature name but found ‘-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio’. start-style.css:339:8
    An error occurred executing the cmd_getNewMessages command: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8055000a [nsIMsgIncomingServer.getNewMessages]" nsresult: "0x8055000a (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.js :: GetNewMsgs :: line 2753" data: no] globalOverlay.js:103
    A promise chain failed to handle a rejection. Did you forget to '.catch', or did you forget to 'return'?
    See https://developer.mozilla.org/Mozilla/J ... sm/Promise

Date: Thu Nov 09 2017 07:35:35 GMT-0500 (EST)
    Full Message: Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]
    Full Stack: JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm :: XPCU_serviceLambda :: line 230
    JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm :: XPCU_defineLazyGetter/<.get :: line 198
    JS frame :: resource://gre/components/msgAsyncPrompter.js :: runnablePrompter.prototype.run< :: line 23
    JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm :: TaskImpl_run :: line 319
    JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm :: TaskImpl :: line 277
    JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm :: createAsyncFunction/asyncFunction :: line 252 XPCOMUtils.jsm:230

There appear to be errors in Javascript I posted previously at https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=256744

Any thoughts or suggestions? I have considered downgrading "openssl" or uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird, but I am concerned that I would not be able to make "new" connections to the mail servers. Are there any files that can "reset" the SSL/TLS connections? What about using the "Config Editor?"

Thx

whiteEagle
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Thunderbird 52.4.0 connection issues . . .

Postby whiteEagle » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:37 am

I'm thinking of posting the output from "Error Console" to Mozillazine or SuperUser

Looking at the output, I wonder why Javascript is enabled in Thunderbird? Also, Firefox 56.0 "about:config" reads "javascript.enabled;true"

I'm also looking at the top line:

Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///usr/lib/thunderbird/chrome.manifest'.

That file DOES NOT exist at "/usr/lib/thunderbird" but at "/usr/lib/firefox/browser' instead. Should it be created?

Edit: Thunderbird "about:config" reads "javascript.enabled;true" but I have changed it to "javascript.enabled;false" with no change.

whiteEagle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby whiteEagle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:37 pm

After no response, I finally decided to "purge" every instance of Thunderbird from my machine and start from scratch.

It worked successfully, as two of my accounts are back and running. I have no idea WHY they suddenly stopped connecting to the mail servers.

I am not going to mark this [SOLVED] as no one solved anything. Thanks for reading.

Joe2Shoe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Joe2Shoe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:30 pm

Glad you got it fixed. I would have checked the mail server setting in TBird. Sometimes they get garbled for some strange reason.
My mail server settings changed recently on my email server's end, so I had to enter the "correct" settings in TBird.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."

whiteEagle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby whiteEagle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:30 am

Joe2Shoe wrote:Glad you got it fixed. I would have checked the mail server setting in TBird. Sometimes they get garbled for some strange reason.
My mail server settings changed recently on my email server's end, so I had to enter the "correct" settings in TBird.

That should be the first thing to do, as I did, to no avail. At the last resort, I needed to start with a "clean" slate.

Return to “Software & Applications”