Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wmichaelb
Level 2
Level 2

(Solved) Can't Transfer Firefox Bookmarks

Postby wmichaelb » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 am

My old Dell has lost its USB port, I'm setting up a new one, and I've used a switch to get the data off the old. For Firefox bookmarks, I've used the Xmarks extension for quite a while now, but the latest update won't run, and there's a lot of internet discussion about that issue. So I tried emailing both the html export file and the json backup file, but Firefox on LM 18.2 won't import or restore from either one. Import does nothing; FF immediately closes the import window. Restore gives me an error message: "Unable to process the backup file." I even tried to copy and email the places.sqlite file and then paste it into FF, but I get an error message there stating that Firefox cannot download it because it cannot read the source file. I did chown the files, but that made no difference. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by wmichaelb on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

lmintnewb2

Re: Can't Transfer Firefox Bookmarks

Postby lmintnewb2 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:44 am

Without not so much getting into much of that. Cause honestly no, not sure what's going on. However could always try to avail yourself of the built in Firefox sync feature. On the menu-bar, then Tools, then Sign into Sync. Whole purpose of the thing is to backup and sync as many instances of Firefox as somebody wants and it's kept encrypted on servers hosted by Mozilla.

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Can't Transfer Firefox Bookmarks

Postby Moem » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:26 am

How about copying the entire profile folder to your new installation? That's how I've always done it. Some good information here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

wmichaelb
Level 2
Level 2

Re: (Solved) Can't Transfer Firefox Bookmarks

Postby wmichaelb » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:10 am

Moem: thanks for the reference! After some thought, I created an account in Firefox Sync, and that worked. Why the rest didn't, I have no clue, but I'm good to go now.

Return to “Software & Applications”