Script/Shortcut to open Nemo to specific dual pane directories?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
CharlieSweatpants
Level 1
Level 1

Script/Shortcut to open Nemo to specific dual pane directories?

Postby CharlieSweatpants » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:05 pm

Is there a way to create a script and/or shortcut to open Nemo in dual pane mode to two different directories?

Specifically, I want to have either a command or an icon I can use to open Nemo to the default Pictures folder as well as a folder I specify. I use a couple of different variations on this for sorting different images for backup and storage purposes, and it's a bit of a repetitive pain to navigate to them individually every time I reboot or close Nemo.

I'm on Mint 18.2 running Cinnamon.
The story:
Jan 2013 - Beloved WinXP laptop of 9 years dies. New, fancy Win8 laptop purchased.
17 Oct 2013 - Win8 bricks new laptop during Windows Update.
18 Oct 2013 - Final "Windows No Mas" decision, install Mint 15 Cinnamon as sole laptop OS.

wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Script/Shortcut to open Nemo to specific dual pane directories?

Postby wallyUSA » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:12 pm

CharlieSweatpants wrote:Is there a way to create a script and/or shortcut to open Nemo in dual pane mode to two different directories?

Have you tried opening two copies of the folder icon and sizing them so each occupies half the screen?
Mint 18.2 Sonya Cinnamon (64 bit)
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the title.

CharlieSweatpants
Level 1
Level 1

Postby CharlieSweatpants » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:26 pm

Have you tried opening two copies of the folder icon and sizing them so each occupies half the screen?

That'll open them quickly, but isn't ideal for working. They appear as separately open windows so Alt-Tabbing to them is clumsy. It also prevents the "Copy/Move to Other Pane" context menu from working.
The story:
Jan 2013 - Beloved WinXP laptop of 9 years dies. New, fancy Win8 laptop purchased.
17 Oct 2013 - Win8 bricks new laptop during Windows Update.
18 Oct 2013 - Final "Windows No Mas" decision, install Mint 15 Cinnamon as sole laptop OS.

lostfarmer
Level 3
Level 3

Postby lostfarmer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:58 pm

This is for nautilus but the first 'green check' works with name changed to nemo and will open a 2 pane but with the same location (i only did the download, script and chmod). If you put the modification into /usr/share/applications/nemo then it will open 2 panes all the time, might not be want you want.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/39004/how-can-i-make-nautilus-open-with-an-extra-panel-by-default

at the bottom there is a script for opening 2 different locations but have not tried and not sure on how to use, some how you mast pass to the script the locations you want to open. (It will require some modifications in browser name.) Maybe some one with script know-how can help with its correct use.

Return to “Software & Applications”