Firefox 57 - Quantum

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Firefox 57 - Quantum

Post by tovian »

KBD47 wrote:on Windows 10 it is excellent. Faster and I think it looks better, more like older Firefox to me which I like.
+1... Me Like, too !!

Besides, "You can't please all of the people all of the time" - and those of us who are pleased, well... you know how we feel about those who are not pleased :wink:

After I sampled it on Windows I downloaded the tarball for Linux and considered installing it that way (on my throw-away Mint-18.2), but I've decided to wait.
Wasn't it not terribly long ago that Mozilla was considering dropping (Firefox) support for Linux?
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

Supposedly FF57 disables all your addons, if that be so I'm putting FF on ignore in Update Mgr.
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

I let two of my Windows computers upgrade to 57 and it is seriously ugly right out of the box. I'm confident (hopeful) the Linux version does not suffer from such an assault on the sense of sight. A few tweaks helped but it appears full theming has been dropped.

More bothersome is the new Mouse Gesture Add On it recommended to replace fire gestures. It feels rather clunky. Anyway I haven't found 57 noticeably faster than previous versions...yet anyway.

No longer that stoked to try 57 on Mint.....it comes when it comes. :?
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Minterator wrote:Supposedly FF57 disables all your addons, if that be so I'm putting FF on ignore in Update Mgr.
Yes on my Windows machines it disabled a few Add Ons including my favorite theme. Mouse Gestures....something else too, don't remember now. FF 57 does offer to find a replacement for each "legacy" add on but as I said above the Mouse Gesture Add On it offered feels rather clunky.

It's going to take some tweaking to get 57 dialed in on WIndows. I assume there will be a least some house work after the Linux update as well. The price of progress I suppose. :)
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

catweazel wrote:
aes2011 wrote:
catweazel wrote:...
If you read it instead of picking out a single word, it isn't beta, it's release 57.0.
It's a release candidate for those wanting it directly from Mozilla :)
No, it's release 57.0, just not for Linux.
Users who have Firefox 56.02 from the repos will still have to wait a few days for the update to Fx57 no matter what you say :)
I made no such claim.
So what's your point? Several other people in this thread have posted essentially what I posted. Do we know each other from somewhere else? Why am I the beneficiary of your attention?
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Minterator wrote:Supposedly FF57 disables all your addons, if that be so I'm putting FF on ignore in Update Mgr.
As I understand it, It will only disable the legacy marked addons.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the thing is, that Firefox, along with M$ Windows - - is losing it's Market Share.
:o
so, they are both trying to recover, at least, some of that Market Share,
and they way that they both are going about doing that - isn't very pretty.
- that will, of course, upset lots of people.
in the case of Firefox - they are disabling most of those addons, & which was always their biggest draw point.
:(

you can check which add-ons will still work:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... true#gid=0
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
babyblues409

Post by babyblues409 »

Well, you guys may do some extreme customizing of your browsers. For myself, I've installed it on 3 Windoz machines so far and LOVE IT! It's lightening faster than version 56 and I cannot wait to see it run on Linux Mint!
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

My take from this is that Mozilla noticed that they were losing market share to chrome. So, They have totally revamped FF. They also decided to work on the plugins because alot of them are unsecure or whatever. M$ on the other hand goes off on a wild hair and totally screws up their DE and lie to everyone about how much better it is. In reality, Its just terrible. Windows is just a mining OS now with advertisements. You are the product. Atleast Mozilla is trying to regain market share by listening to users complaints.

I did try the beta and it is faster. However, I didnt have all the plugins installed into it. It was running bare. Just have to see how it turns out when released I guess. I am happy for them though. They are listening to users complaints.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

aes2011 wrote: Why am I the beneficiary of your attention?
PLONK
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Firefox 57.0 has arrived in the official software repositories. Time to close this thread. No more value will be added by going on.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

Teksonik wrote:More bothersome is the new Mouse Gesture Add On it recommended to replace fire gestures. It feels rather clunky.
You're probably talking about Gesturfy. This and Foxy Gestures apparently won't work properly on Linux & Mac because of how right-clicks are handled in Linux compared to Firefox 57. Apparently the addon Mouse Gesture Events gets around this problem by forcing your right-click context menu to appear only when you double-click the right button. It's an irritation that we'll just have to get used to (for now at least).

Personally, I'm not going to bother with a Firefox 57 install until the new version of NoScript is released some time this week. That is non-negotiable for me. I still don't know how I'm going to handle local storage deletion though. The new WebExtensions apparently can't get access to local storage. :(
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Today is the dreaded change to FF 57. My first impressions: ...shocking. The UI is ugly, flat and window-ish. The speed improvement is noticeable, thought. Various extensions doesn't work anymore. I miss particularly downthemall! and hide caption titlebar plus. The last was very useful to reduce the size of the upper bars and gain space (I prefer ultra-thin bars to have a larger space for browsing). I found an useful web extension that help a bit, hiding the title bar: Hide Title Bar (for Gnome). But the upper bars are excessively thick for my taste.
Overall, I don't like FF 57, bad move for Mozilla. They need to improve this new version or will lose a lot of loyal users.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
ronsmeyer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ronsmeyer »

Tried it in a VM first. EVERY addon is broken. Not doing it. That was the main reason for staying with FF to start with...all the UI customization. Setting ignore in update manager.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I have no love for Firefox 57. Tried it for 15 minutes and that was all I could stand of it. Looks like a copy of Microsoft's Edge browser to me. Un-installed 57, went to the Mozilla site, downloaded 64 bit linux Firefox 52.5.0 ESR and that is more to my liking and the 52 ESR versions will be good till June of 2018.

But I must say, Firefox is just my third browser behind the Pale Moon (default) and SeaMonkey (backup) browsers. Used the Ignore setting so I won't be getting any updates for Firefox anymore in Mint.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
jerson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jerson »

Just upgraded to Quantum. More responsive and memory leaks seem to have been plugged. Earlier FF 56 used to get sluggish after a long session with flash videos playing. This version seems well behaved. +1 from me.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

karlchen wrote:Firefox 57.0 has arrived in the official software repositories. Time to close this thread. No more value will be added by going on.
There you go again. Just where would be a better place for this community to discuss issues (or any other comments) with Firefox Quantun? Would you want a new thread for every comment about it? Don't you think folks doing research might appreciate a SINGLE THREAD containing all the "Quantum" issues?

We already have TWO threads on the same topic (with virtually the same names). I would think a better use of your energy would be to merge those two threads. That's just my opinion - but it makes a lot of sense.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
swwing17

Post by swwing17 »

Really ugly. Faint, thin font. Toolbar icons hard to see....and SQUARED TABS?! Really disappaointed
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

swwing17 wrote:Really ugly. Faint, thin font. Toolbar icons hard to see....and SQUARED TABS?! Really disappaointed
I like the square tabs - they waste less space.

And you can fix the font, which I didn't like either.

This changes all the GUI fonts - not the website fonts.
file
~/.mozilla/firefox/<your-profile-name>/chrome/userChrome.css

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
/* For examples see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html */

/* Change ALL the FF fonts */
 *  {
    font-size:      10pt        !important;
    font-family:    sans        !important;     /* */
    font-weight:    bold        !important;     /* */
    }
I have some tab stuff in that file, too, so PM me if it doesn't work.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

tovian wrote:We already have TWO threads on the same topic (with virtually the same names). I would think a better use of your energy would be to merge those two threads.
Actually, there is a minimum of 3 parallel threads all titled alike: In all 3 of these threads, users randomly add all kinds of posts, personal points of view, first experiences with FF57.0, handling issues with FF57, advice how solve issues, etc.
As a result, all 3 threads qualify for one of the chat forums more than for the "Software & Applications" forum. Support requests are drowned by pretty subjective comments on FF57.0.
Merging these 3 threads which proceeded and still proceed in parallel will make all 3 of them completely unreadable, because very often it will be pretty hard to find out which post is a reply to which previous post.

With respect to finding a solution to issues experienced with Firefox 57.0 all 3 threads are of limited use.
There is a reason why the forum rules request to report only one problem per thread and to assign descriptive titles to threads.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”