Firefox 57 - Quantum

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
babyblues409

Firefox 57 - Quantum

Post by babyblues409 »

When will we get the upgrade to Firefox 57 which is dropping tomorrow Nov, 14, 2017?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Firefox 57 - Quantum

Post by aes2011 »

Yes, in a few days. Can't say exactly when.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

aes2011 wrote:Yes, in a few days. Can't say exactly when.
How about right now?

"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

2 x faster and 30% less memory, Sounds like an impressive update.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

catweazel wrote:
How about right now?

And that's from the repos? Your image has beta in it :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

aes2011 wrote:
catweazel wrote:
How about right now?

And that's from the repos? Your image has beta in it :)
If you read it instead of picking out a single word, it isn't beta, it's release 57.0.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

catweazel wrote:...
If you read it instead of picking out a single word, it isn't beta, it's release 57.0.
It's a release candidate for those wanting it directly from Mozilla :)

Users who have Firefox 56.02 from the repos will still have to wait a few days for the update to Fx57 no matter what you say :)
W4i3e6GZAPwsi5hAYt

Post by W4i3e6GZAPwsi5hAYt »

Firefox 57 is now available to download — and it’s probably the single biggest update to Firefox in the browser’s 13 year history.
~ http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/11/fire ... r-stronger

It would be nice to get this update as soon as possible :)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

W4i3e6GZAPwsi5hAYt wrote:It would be nice to get this update as soon as possible :)
This is exactly what is going to happen: Update Manager will offer you the update from Firefox 56.0 to Firefox 57.0 as soon as possible, very likely no sooner. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

karlchen wrote:
W4i3e6GZAPwsi5hAYt wrote:It would be nice to get this update as soon as possible :)
This is exactly what is going to happen: Update Manager will offer you the update from Firefox 56.0 to Firefox 57.0 as soon as possible, very likely no sooner. :wink:
You mean as soon as Clem updates Mint. "as soon as possible" would be now. :wink:

This is always the knock I see from users of other Linux Distros. They say Mint always lags behind Ubuntu. I love Mint so this is just something I accept. No way I'm going back to Ubuntu.

I just checked and all that was delivered to Mint 18.2 so far today were codecs for Chromium. But I'm in no hurry since FF performance is already perfectly acceptable here. It's not FF updates that concern me as much as security updates. :?

Oh and no I'm not going to bother manually installing the FF update.....I'll wait until it hits the Update Manager.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

It's new features rather than security fixes, so no real need to push the update for release. I've not got it on Antergos or Manjaro yet... both are Arch based and it's not in the arch repos yet, so I doubt Ubuntu/Mint will release 57 yet... but you never know.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Teksonik wrote:2 x faster and 30% less memory, Sounds like an impressive update.
30% less memory than google chrome - which is probably already has since chrome is a hog.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

I'll wait for the repository release: sure fire, safe, and easy to install. What is a few days of waiting for the no hassle approach?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Flemur wrote:
Teksonik wrote:2 x faster and 30% less memory, Sounds like an impressive update.
30% less memory than google chrome - which is probably already has since chrome is a hog.
Edit: I just DL'd FF 57.0 and compared it to FF 45 with my standard 10 tabs open and no addons (empty .mozilla directory).

At first it seemed like LESS CPU & LESS MEMORY!

But alas, it was illusory because the new version has a bunch of processes (Called "Web Content" IIRC, forget to write it down) and it didn't "feel" much different and (visually adding up) it seemed like the memory and CPU were about the same as with FF45.

Good stuff:
- Square tabs
- Built-in "sidebar".
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Teksonik wrote:This is always the knock I see from users of other Linux Distros. They say Mint always lags behind Ubuntu.
They're making a big deal out of nothing. I bet 57 lands the same day as it does in Ubuntu, and the joke of it is that as fast as Mint is adding features with each release, Ubuntu seems to be dropping them.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Teksonik wrote:This is always the knock I see from users of other Linux Distros. They say Mint always lags behind Ubuntu.
Don't they realise they are using many of the same repositories?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if you already use a firefox and have it set the way you like it, before downloading and testing the new ugly quantum, be sure to rename your current .mozilla otherwise it will contaminate your profile

i tried quantum and deleted after just a few minutes. most of my privacy addons are disabled with no alternates, i don't see the hype it's as ugly as a house without paint and those squared tabs are ridiculous. you mean in 2017 developers can't come up with a decent modern theme? :mrgreen: puke
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Flemur wrote:
Flemur wrote:
Edit: I just DL'd FF 57.0 and compared it to FF 45 with my standard 10 tabs open and no addons (empty .mozilla directory).

At first it seemed like LESS CPU & LESS MEMORY!

But alas, it was illusory because the new version has a bunch of processes (Called "Web Content" IIRC, forget to write it down) and it didn't "feel" much different and (visually adding up) it seemed like the memory and CPU were about the same as with FF45.

Good stuff:
- Square tabs
- Built-in "sidebar".
Edit2: firefox 57 uses more memory than firefox 45:

FF 45: 10 tabs
mem: 24.9% (of 4Gig)

FF 57: 10 tabs (same)
mem: 5.1+5.1+6.0+6.8+3.8 = 26.8%
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

aes2011 wrote:
catweazel wrote:...
It's a release candidate for those wanting it directly from Mozilla :)
No, it's release 57.0, just not for Linux.
Users who have Firefox 56.02 from the repos will still have to wait a few days for the update to Fx57 no matter what you say :)
I made no such claim.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Haven't tried it on Linux yet, but on Windows 10 it is excellent. Faster and I think it looks better, more like older Firefox to me which I like. Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger add ons were no problem, carried right over. I did have to re-add Https Everywhere, but not a big deal.

Return to “Software & Applications”