Firefox 57 - Quantum

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Firefox 57 - Quantum

Post by xfrank »

Flemur wrote:
swwing17 wrote:Really ugly. Faint, thin font. Toolbar icons hard to see....and SQUARED TABS?! Really disappaointed
I like the square tabs - they waste less space.

And you can fix the font, which I didn't like either.

This changes all the GUI fonts - not the website fonts.
file
~/.mozilla/firefox/<your-profile-name>/chrome/userChrome.css

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
/* For examples see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html */

/* Change ALL the FF fonts */
 *  {
    font-size:      10pt        !important;
    font-family:    sans        !important;     /* */
    font-weight:    bold        !important;     /* */
    }
I have some tab stuff in that file, too, so PM me if it doesn't work.
Hi Flemur, do you have a userChrome.css hack to hide the title bar? It eats a lot of space, and I cannot remove it in Cinnamon and Mate.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

H.Remedy wrote:
Teksonik wrote:More bothersome is the new Mouse Gesture Add On it recommended to replace fire gestures. It feels rather clunky.
You're probably talking about Gesturfy. This and Foxy Gestures apparently won't work properly on Linux & Mac because of how right-clicks are handled in Linux compared to Firefox 57. Apparently the addon Mouse Gesture Events gets around this problem by forcing your right-click context menu to appear only when you double-click the right button. It's an irritation that we'll just have to get used to (for now at least).
Sorry, I missed your post. Yes 57 recommends Gesturfy which is the add on I was referring to. I did delete it quickly in favor of Mouse Gesture Events.

So that explains why it now takes two right mouse clicks to copy/paste etc. I wondered why FF started requiring double click all of a sudden. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I just dumped MGE for "Basic Gesture" which does not require double right click. Seems to be functioning fine here but I only need basic Forward/Backward gestures. :)
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Here's some changes to userChrome.css if you'd like to get those curved tabs back: https://github.com/wilfredwee/photon-australis

I've applied it to my dark theme with one small change to the dark theme CSS - I commented out line 42 so that the delimiters (borders) on the right and left of inactive tabs are still visible.

Code: Select all

/* Remove unneeded styles from Photon */
.tabbrowser-tab::before,
.tabbrowser-tab::after {
  /* border: none !important; */
} 
It's personal taste, but I really didn't like the sharp rectangular feel.
Last edited by Mick-Cork on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

karlchen wrote:Merging these 3 threads which proceeded and still proceed in parallel will make all 3 of them completely unreadable, because very often it will be pretty hard to find out which post is a reply to which previous post.
Correct ! It's now a bit late to do what should have been done right away.

If you are going to have a lot of unhelpful comments/posts about ANYTHING, it's better to have them in one thread than spread all over the forums.

You could still combine them to make 'going forward' (as opposed to going backward) more helpful - but your answer makes me think that's not going to happen.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

Teksonik wrote: I just dumped MGE for "Basic Gesture" which does not require double right click. Seems to be functioning fine here but I only need basic Forward/Backward gestures. :)
Hmm... Are you sure about that? I just checked the Mozilla page for Basic Gestures, and at the bottom of the description it says, "Linux and Mac users: Press right mouse button twice to open context menu." If it's not working that way for you, I'd love to figure out why.

The whole problem with FF57 is that it is requires the context menu to be activated when the right-click button is pressed, whereas Linux (and Mac apparently) activate it when the button is released. There's an interesting conversation and some suggested hacks at the Firefox bug report page: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1360278 .
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Yep I'm sure. I'm happily going back and forth with a single right mouse click as we speak. But that's right click/hold. About the only gestures I use are page back / forward. Click Drag Up works to open a new tab but I can not get Down / Right to close the current tab. But Basic Gestures 1.2 works for me just to go back and forth. I can also highlight a section of text and Copy with a single mouse click which is where the double click of Gesturefy was driving me nuts. 8)

Oh and single right click opens context menus as well....sometimes. :?

EDIT: I just noticed that when I first visit a page, double click is required to open the Copy Menu or spell correct a word but after that a single click is all that is needed...on that page.
Amraks

Post by Amraks »

I Love it..
I noticed the difference straight away is a lot smooth than firefox 56. I was having a lot of issues on Mint 17 with firefox on my laptop it seemed so laggy.
Now its just smooth browsing with more tabs open and no lag, no freezing, no waiting.
I like the square tabs as someone says they take less space and are more uniform when clicking on them.
This reminds me like the good old days of firefox.
Few days ago I was thinking about switching to another browser but this has saved firefox for me.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

trytip wrote:if you already use a firefox and have it set the way you like it, before downloading and testing the new ugly quantum, be sure to rename your current .mozilla otherwise it will contaminate your profile

i tried quantum and deleted after just a few minutes. most of my privacy addons are disabled with no alternates, i don't see the hype it's as ugly as a house without paint and those squared tabs are ridiculous. you mean in 2017 developers can't come up with a decent modern theme? :mrgreen: puke
Yeah it broke noscript and I was not happy about that but I looked around for something else and I found Umatrix and I have to say I'm loving it way more than noscript. It's way more fine grained, try it out if you haven't.

What other security addons did it break for you? Noscript was the only one that broke for me.

Edit:
I forgot yeah it broke nocookies too but I found cookie autodelete and that seems to be working fine.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

The way I read the blurb about the square tabs is that they may not look as fancy or as cool as the rounded ones, but they are much easier and faster to draw. In other words, this is part of the "performance upgrade".

If you want a faster browser then live with the square tabs (whether you like 'em or not).
If you'd rather have "pretty" then..... nope, nope I am NOT giving you my phone number !! (You'll have to look elsewhere) :wink:
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"

Animal House
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I like the square tabs just fine... slightly retro, I'm okay with that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
frmb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frmb »

To me, having Noscript broken is a No-Go. I tried a few others, but I'm too familiar with NoScript to refrain from it. Unfortunately I pressed "update" to fast in Linux Mints Package Tool (mintinstall 7.7.5). How do I "undo" the migration from FF (last version, don't know) to Quantum (57) ? I was up to date, so I need to go back only to the predecessor. But how?

Thx

Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-Bit
Cinnamon 3.0.7
Linux-Kernel 4.4.0-98-generic
Amraks

Post by Amraks »

tovian wrote:The way I read the blurb about the square tabs is that they may not look as fancy or as cool as the rounded ones, but they are much easier and faster to draw. In other words, this is part of the "performance upgrade".

If you want a faster browser then live with the square tabs (whether you like 'em or not).
If you'd rather have "pretty" then..... nope, nope I am NOT giving you my phone number !! (You'll have to look elsewhere) :wink:
I doubt its part of the performance upgrade I did see people editing their tabs a pages back.
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Perhaps this link will be of help for those looking for replacement Add-Ons.....

https://arewewebextensionsyet.com/
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Amraks wrote:I doubt its part of the performance upgrade I did see people editing their tabs a pages back.
I didn't write the code so I cannot guarantee anything. However, that is what Mozilla is saying so I am not going to argue (until somebody proves something different).

Animal House
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

tovian wrote:The way I read the blurb about the square tabs is that they may not look as fancy or as cool as the rounded ones, but they are much easier and faster to draw. In other words, this is part of the "performance upgrade".
I remember when the curved tabs came out, they were made of several little bits just to get the curves right. I'm happy to see them go. Although there are ways to get curvy tabs back: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1184924
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

Teksonik wrote:Perhaps this link will be of help for those looking for replacement Add-Ons.....

https://arewewebextensionsyet.com/
That looks pretty good thanks for that.
I would also like to point out to anyone who missed it that if you hit Ctrl-Shift-A to get to your add ons, click on Legacy add ons on the bottom of the side menu and it has a list of all your broken legacy add ons and a button to click to search for replacements.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

frmb wrote:To me, having Noscript broken is a No-Go. I tried a few others, but I'm too familiar with NoScript to refrain from it. Unfortunately I pressed "update" to fast in Linux Mints Package Tool (mintinstall 7.7.5). How do I "undo" the migration from FF (last version, don't know) to Quantum (57) ? I was up to date, so I need to go back only to the predecessor. But how?

Thx

Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-Bit
Cinnamon 3.0.7
Linux-Kernel 4.4.0-98-generic
You can uninstall current version. Previous versions are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives/ just run firefox_56*.deb
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Finally got to try Firefox 57 on Linux Mint Xfce 18.2 tonight and no issues whatsoever. Ublock Origin, Https Everywhere, Privacy Badger extensions all work and needed no action on my part. In Windows 10 I had to re-add Https Everywhere extension to FF57 and did not in Linux.
Firefox is much faster, and very noticeable on a machine that has only 2 gigs ram.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

frmb wrote:To me, having Noscript broken is a No-Go.
Yesterday evening the new NoScript was released

Return to “Software & Applications”