Firefox 57 - Quantum

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kenhall5551

Re: Firefox 57 - Quantum

Post by kenhall5551 »

I've had it installed in my Mint18.2 Cinnamon 64Bit for about 3 days. IT SUCKS. Not ready for prime time at all in Linux mint at least. Works great in Windows 10. It's slow, it crashes
add-ons a problem. I'm using Pale moon until it improves.
377Ohms

Post by 377Ohms »

Bolle1961 wrote:
frmb wrote:To me, having Noscript broken is a No-Go.
Yesterday evening the new NoScript was released
NoScript 10 may be "released", but as far as I'm concerned it is still totally BROKEN. See my impressions of NoScript 10.1.1 here:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=257458&start=20#p1390707
Drygar_2016
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar_2016 »

If you ask me it's high time Linux Mint (and Ubuntu) moved to Firefox ESR for their repositories - Firefox ESR as a main primary browser for their LTS releases.

That automatically fixes everything.
377Ohms

Post by 377Ohms »

Drygar_2016 wrote:If you ask me it's high time Linux Mint (and Ubuntu) moved to Firefox ESR for their repositories - Firefox ESR as a main primary browser for their LTS releases.

That automatically fixes everything.
It only "fixes everything" until June 2018 when 52 ESR is abandoned. But by then, there is a reasonable chance the turmoil caused by the WebExtentions introduction will have settled down.
377Ohms

Post by 377Ohms »

sgtor wrote:
trytip wrote:if you already use a firefox and have it set the way you like it, before downloading and testing the new ugly quantum, be sure to rename your current .mozilla otherwise it will contaminate your profile

i tried quantum and deleted after just a few minutes. most of my privacy addons are disabled with no alternates, i don't see the hype it's as ugly as a house without paint and those squared tabs are ridiculous. you mean in 2017 developers can't come up with a decent modern theme? :mrgreen: puke
Yeah it broke noscript and I was not happy about that but I looked around for something else and I found Umatrix and I have to say I'm loving it way more than noscript. It's way more fine grained, try it out if you haven't.

What other security addons did it break for you? Noscript was the only one that broke for me.

Edit:
I forgot yeah it broke nocookies too but I found cookie autodelete and that seems to be working fine.
@sgtor,

Yesterday I installed uMatrix since the NoScript 10.1.1 release is essentially useless. So far I like uMatrix too :)

Here are the uMatrix links if anyone else wants to give it a spin:

* uMatrix Scripting Manager add-on for Firefox 57+ Quantum. uMatrix is a WebExtensions compatible replacement for NoScript.

Install: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/

Documentation: https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/wiki

Home: https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix

uMatrix Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVozpo3zUBk
Last edited by 377Ohms on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
akar

Post by akar »

Guys,

A bit too quick on the finger....and I ended up upgrading to FF57 Quantum, gaaahhh....

The familiar interface is gone, add-ons (Adblock Plus, NoScript, UA switcher) are broken :-( NoScript 10 was available but what happened to its interface? ..I don't have any idea how to control the new NoScript 10. Adblock's interface changed too :-(

But the worst part is that I am unable to read my Uni's email that is on OWA (Microsoft Outlook cloud). After typing in my username and password, FF57 gets re-directed and kept saying :

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.
We can’t connect to the server at login.microsoftonline.com.

The same FF57 browser to any other website works fine..

Wget on the same linux machine accesses that site OK.
FF57 with addons disabled still gives the same error.
However, FF57 on Win 10 accesses that site OK.

So, it seems it is a FF57 on linux issue.

The only other person having this same issue is:
https://github.com/webcompat/web-bugs/issues/13537

I have had to spend the last 2 days reading my Uni emails off FF57 on a Win machine :cry: , while my other stuff is on my linux machine. After days of struggling to get FF57 on linux to access login.microsoftonline.com and pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to control NoScript 10 and Adblock, I've decided I have had enough of this faecal matter and reverting to the previous version just before I upgraded to FF57. I'll consider FF57 a few months from now....if I am in the mood :-)

There...I've got it off my chest..
jerson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jerson »

My initial response to FF57 was a good review since it is fast. However, like almost everyone else, I miss the fireftp addon which worked in the previous version. The new quantum also randomly crashes with a seemingly funny message. So, now, I have a waterfox installation to bank for cases like fireftp.
Regards
Jerson
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

377Ohms wrote:NoScript 10 may be "released", but as far as I'm concerned it is still totally BROKEN.
That's a relief, I thought I'd gotten more brain damage all of a sudden, because all I could think was "what the unicorns is this thing supposed to be doing?" (Edit: I had removed "NoScript" it a few minutes before reading this)

Waiting for the "yesscript" addon to be ported/updated.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

akar wrote:Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.
I get a login prompt, with an actual address of:
https://login.microsoftonline.com/commo ... d=4345a7b9... of blah blah nonsense>.
akar

Post by akar »

Flemur wrote:
akar wrote:Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.
I get a login prompt, with an actual address of:
https://login.microsoftonline.com/commo ... d=4345a7b9... of blah blah nonsense>.
I am so puzzled by this issue....

FF57 on linux can access any other website....wget on the same machine can access that site, so there's nothing wrong with my DNS.
FF57 on Win can access that site.

So, is MS just being difficult with FF57 on linux wrt login.microsoftonline.com.....or is there's some bug in the source code for FF57 on linux? (I'm no programming expert).

Reverting to FF56.0+linuxmint1+ sonya in 300 secs :-)

Regards,
MI
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

377Ohms wrote:NoScript 10 may be "released", but as far as I'm concerned it is still totally BROKEN.
Now it looks better. I mean version 10.1.2.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
377Ohms

Post by 377Ohms »

Flemur wrote:
That's a relief, I thought I'd gotten more brain damage all of a sudden, because all I could think was "what the unicorns is this thing supposed to be doing?" (Edit: I had removed "NoScript" it a few minutes before reading this)

Waiting for the "yesscript" addon to be ported/updated.
YesScript2 is FF57+ compatible already. It is a forked rewrite of the original. I do not expect a WebExtension version of the original YesScript to ever appear. See here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... esscript2/

uMatrix is a powerful WebExtensions compatible NoScript replacement. See here:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=257217&p=1390810#p1391213
377Ohms

Post by 377Ohms »

BigEasy wrote:
Now it looks better. I mean version 10.1.2.
That is good news. The version I was commenting on was 10.1.1. IMO there was essentially no useful UI in 10.1.1.
377Ohms

Post by 377Ohms »

If you want to try uMatrix instead of NoScript, here's an excellent tutorial I found on YouTube:

"How to use uMatrix to protect your online privacy & improve security | uMatrix tutorial"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVozpo3zUBk

If you already know why blocking scripts is important, skip to 02:00 minutes in. From there the rest of the video is high info rate.

Note: I have no affiliation with uMatrix other than as a user moving over from NoScript.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

There's uMatrix in Chrome too, interesting. Does it block both scripts AND cookies?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

377Ohms wrote:YesScript2 is FF57+ compatible already. It is a forked rewrite of the original.
I just tried it - it doesn't notify at all about scripts, you can just turn on/off without knowing whether there are any scripts to turn off. The original notified "do you want to run the script or continue blocking?", so it was much better.
377Ohms

Post by 377Ohms »

Minterator wrote:There's uMatrix in Chrome too, interesting. Does it block both scripts AND cookies?
Yes, it blocks lots of stuff - but you have control. The defaults are fairly safe. See the attached screen shot of the uMatrix panel (below), note the column for cookies. I don't know about blocking all LSO's though. But I use the Clear Flash Cookies add-in to catch those (a very simple add-in, but it is WebExtensions compatible).

As I stated in my previous post here, watch the uMatrix tutorial video to get an idea about what it can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVozpo3zUBk

Here's my uMatrix drop-down panel when the browser is pointed at a YouTube page. (If anyone sees a problem let me know, I'm learning this thing still):

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

akar wrote:Guys,

But the worst part is that I am unable to read my Uni's email that is on OWA (Microsoft Outlook cloud). After typing in my username and password, FF57 gets re-directed and kept saying :
Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.
The same FF57 browser to any other website works fine..
There...I've got it off my chest..
I just tried that and it works fine. Using Mint 17.3 MATE with FF57. Install the add-on User-Agent Switcher for FF57 and see if that will allow you to connect when you have it report the browser and OS as Microsoft with IE or Edge.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

jerson wrote:My initial response to FF57 was a good review since it is fast. However, like almost everyone else, I miss the fireftp addon which worked in the previous version. The new quantum also randomly crashes with a seemingly funny message. So, now, I have a waterfox installation to bank for cases like fireftp.
Why not use the FTP capability in your file manager instead? You can even add a bookmark so it's always there in the left column for quick access. Easy to use when double pane is set in the file manager for drag and drop purpose.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
jerson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jerson »

Spearmint2 wrote:Why not use the FTP capability in your file manager instead? You can even add a bookmark so it's always there in the left column for quick access. Easy to use when double pane is set in the file manager for drag and drop purpose.
I have crossed over from Win. I have no idea how to do that in Nemo. Care to tell me please? I am eager to know.

I tried to connect via the location bar to
ftp://192.168.1.2:2121 which is the ftp server on my phone. It came back with

Error: Could not connect to 192.168.1.1: Connection refused
Please select another viewer and try again.
Regards
Jerson

Return to “Software & Applications”