Switching back to MDM

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Switching back to MDM

Post by scjet45 »

For those unimpressed with lightdm, fear not, switch back to mdm, and be happy again. :D
https://linuxnorth.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... mint-18-2/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Switching back to MDM

Post by jelabarre59 »

I've done a clean install of 18.3, and I had to switch it back. First, there's no configuration option in the lightdm-settings GUI for timed logins (and it's been around how many years?). So I found the way of tweaking the settings in lightdm.conf

But then the response of the startup is SO bad that by the time the mouse/KB decides it's going to respond to you, the timeout has occurred and you can't log in as a different user (which defeats the purpose of having a timed login rather than just logging straight into a user in the first place). It's my daughter's machine for schoolwork, but I still want to be able to log in as myself to do maintenance on the machine.

A little nitpick, which doesn't affect the fact that LightDM wasn't usable for me, is when you have manually set the configuration to do a timed login, it doesn't show you the timeout message like MDM. Minor issue, but the message at least lets you know the system is working.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Just to add that I just discovered that mdm gui is now accessible via terminal, on changing from lightdm to mdm in cleanly installed 18.3 ... sudo mdmsetup. It kicks off an error or two in terminal, but then eg login themes can be changed/added etc.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

i think i managed to change the logon screen now, but is it supposed to change all of the windows inside the system too?

Return to “Software & Applications”