Clementine - any chance of an updated/current version in the repo?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Clementine - any chance of an updated/current version in the repo?

Post by br1anstorm »

I'm using Mint 17.3, and have Clementine installed as my music player. It is version 1.2.0. There is a bug in it (confirmed by searching and browsing the internet). It does not find and display the "Artist Info".

This flaw was apparently fixed in the more recent version, v 1.3.0 . In fact version 1.3.1 is offered for download on Clementine's own site for almost all recent versions of Ubuntu distros (and others).

But....neither the Mint Software Manager nor Synaptic offers that version. Version 1.2.0 is still shown as the "latest".

I always prefer to get (and update) packages using either the Mint Software Manager or Synaptic. Is there any chance that the more recent version, 1.3 or 1.3.1 - which was released back in April 2016, over a year ago - could be made available via the official Mint repositories?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Clementine - any chance of an updated/current version in the repo?

Post by MintBean »

Mint inherits the majority of software from Debian via Ubuntu. Ubuntu's policy is to stick with the same software versions for the duration of the release with a few exceptions (security updates, browser updates.)

So there's no chance- same goes for just about any other piece of software you might mention.

The potential game changer on the horizon is the support for Flatpaks coming in Mint 18.3. This will allow a safe and secure way to install software with regular updates (dependent on someone offering it in Flatpak format) that will remain firewalled from the rest of the system.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Thanks to both for the replies.

I hadn't quite realised that Ubuntu didn't offer updates to software, apart from security-related and browser packages, for the entire duration of a release.....

In a way I can guess why: presumably there is a risk that inserting updated software might interfere with other parts of the system (and pre-testing every possible update would be a herculean task).

But I'm still slightly disappointed. Part of the attraction of opting for an LTS version of Mint was not having to upgrade the actual system for at least 4-5 years. I had got so tired - in Windows - of having to make the transitions from XP to Vista to Win7 to Win8 to Win10, with trouble and cost each time.

But the fact that opting for a particular release of Linux (Mint or whatever) then also obliges you then to stick for years with a collection of software packages which are then 'frozen' and not officially updateable (even if they have known bugs, as in the case of this Clementine version) is somewhat frustrating.

This may be inescapable, and something one has to accept. But it's still a bit of a disappointment.

I deduce - from jimallyn's helpful post - that the alternative is to go direct to the source (which I had already looked at). As I value stability and reliability, I hesitate to bypass the "official" software package route which Mint provides. But I guess that may be the only way to go, and I just have to accept the risk that a directly downloaded package might not play nicely with the rest of my system?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

br1anstorm wrote:I just have to accept the risk that a directly downloaded package might not play nicely with the rest of my system?
What I look for in deciding whether to go outside the repos are things like (i) does the app have a substantial user base; (ii) does the developer have a reputation to lose (more likely to test extensively); (iii) has the latest release been out long enough to generate squeals if there are problems; (iv) how difficult would the app be to remove; (v) how recently did I do a full system backup?

Of course, you have to design your own comfort zone. Just mentioning the factors I consider in designing mine.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Very wise advice, pbear. Much appreciated - thanks for sharing. I shall adopt a similar approach!

(separate thought: This does reopen in my mind the question that I grappled with when I first ventured into the Linux world: whether to go for a rolling-release distro or a periodic "point-release" one. I've realised there is no clear answer to that question. Either route involves compromises of one kind or another. But that debate is not new, and is perhaps for a separate thread!)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I don't think I would hesitate to install from either of those sources. David Sansome has been providing Stable PPAs of Clementine to Launchpad since May, 2013. He has been providing the development PPAs since October, 2012. He has been a Launchpad member since June, 2006. He has signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.

clementine-player.org has been providing Clementine since March, 2010. The site says the David Sansome PPA is the "official" Ubuntu version.

I wouldn't worry about those PPAs.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Software & Applications”