How to hide Firefox 57 titlebar?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
quokka

How to hide Firefox 57 titlebar?

Post by quokka »

I'm on Linux Mint 18 Sarah, Xfce.

To remove the Firefox titlebar, I had been using Hide Caption Title Bar Plus, and it was working fine, but with the update to Firefox 57, that addon no longer works.

Anybody know how I can get rid of the title bar in Firefox in Mint 18 Xfce?

If not, I may try migrating over to Chromium.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to hide Firefox 57 titlebar?

Post by xenopeek »

This may work for you: https://gist.github.com/nanpuyue/ec7d34 ... edcd2a8844

It requires installing a shell script in your home directory and installing a new extension in your web browser. Instructions are on that page for both.

See some more info here about other extensions you might want to add to get close/minimize/maximize buttons (as when you hide the titlebar, those are gone): viewtopic.php?f=47&t=254528&start=20#p1388941
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/08/fire ... oming-soon

Implement titlebar rendering on GTK 3.20+
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1283299

Firefox have been working on Client side decoration to remove it but it never made it into the latest release.
quokka

Post by quokka »

xenopeek wrote:This may work for you: https://gist.github.com/nanpuyue/ec7d34 ... edcd2a8844

It requires installing a shell script in your home directory and installing a new extension in your web browser. Instructions are on that page for both.

See some more info here about other extensions you might want to add to get close/minimize/maximize buttons (as when you hide the titlebar, those are gone): viewtopic.php?f=47&t=254528&start=20#p1388941
This didn't work for me, not sure why...
wizzybang

Post by wizzybang »

there is also this one for Gnome, not sure if it would work for you:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... title-bar/

Not sure if there is a any other plugin yet as this one and the one I mentioned in the small guide I posted (viewtopic.php?f=47&t=254528&start=20#p1388941) are the only ones I can find.
quokka

Post by quokka »

wizzybang wrote:there is also this one for Gnome, not sure if it would work for you:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... title-bar/

Not sure if there is a any other plugin yet as this one and the one I mentioned in the small guide I posted (viewtopic.php?f=47&t=254528&start=20#p1388941) are the only ones I can find.
I had no luck with any of those either...
rotozeev
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rotozeev »

I just have found working solution for my LinuxMint 18.2 Cinnamon 64bit and Firefox 57.

https://serge-m.github.io/how-to-hide-f ... nsion.html

Copy paste here to avoid dissapearing the useful information:
==============
How to hide Firefox title bar in Cinnamon (mint)
Date 2017-04-13T20:11:00

Install devilspie:
sudo apt-get install devilspie
There is also a gui called gdevilspie, but the rules it produced seemed inaccurate and often didn't quite work, so it is easiest to concoct a rule by reading the readme and the manpage.

How the rule was created

All rules created must go in ~/.devilspie, and have a .ds extension, so firstly create the folder if it doesn't exist with
mkdir ~/.devilspie
If you want to experiment to find the best window matching condition (class,name,etc), you can create a new file in ~/.devilspie called test.ds and place in it (debug) . Now you can enter devilspie & and then for every program that you launch, devilspie will examine and provide some window information in the terminal:

Window Title: 'Mozilla Firefox'; Application Name: 'Firefox'; Class: 'Firefox'; Geometry: 1280x970+0+27

In this case, it is best to select Class (window_class), as that will reliably identify the window.

The rule

Create a new file called firefox.ds in ~/.devilspie and place in it:
; firefox rule to undecorate all existing and new windows

(if (is (window_class) "Firefox") (undecorate))
Comments are introduced with ; and are not read. You do not need to use begin in the command unless you are specifying multiple actions, such as (begin undecorate (set_workspace 2))) instead of just the single action (undecorate)).

However, for devilspie to read the new rule you must restart it, so run
killall devilspie
and then restart it with
devilspie &
You have to do this every time when you edit a rule or add a new one in ~/.devilspie, otherwise the changes or any new rules will not be read.

It is also very important that you add it to startup applications using your desktop environment's menus.

For more information on other possibilities with devilspie, see man devilspie or the Ubuntu manpages online.

=======================

So, what I did:

1) Install devilspy

2) made folder
mkdir ~/.devilspie

3) made file firefox.ds in ~/.devilspie and placed in it:

4) Close my Firefox
run in terminal: devilspie
Open Firefox
WIN!!!
quokka

Post by quokka »

rotozeev wrote:I just have found working solution for my LinuxMint 18.2 Cinnamon 64bit and Firefox 57.

https://serge-m.github.io/how-to-hide-f ... nsion.html

Copy paste here to avoid dissapearing the useful information:

(... snipped ...)

WIN!!!
That worked! Score!

But it removes the minimize, maximize, and close buttons from the upper right.

So to fix that, I installed these three add-ons, which is kind of ridiculous:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... he-window/

But hey, you do what you gotta do in hard times lol.

Thank you!

EDIT: So a problem with this is that if the Firefox window is un-maximized, the title bar is no longer there, so I can't move the window around. Maybe there's a way to modify the devilspie rules file to add the title bar back in if the window is un-maximized?

A workaround for now in Xfce is to right click on the Firefox button in the taskbar panel, and select "Move" from the popup menu...
Saraneth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Saraneth »

xenopeek wrote:This may work for you: https://gist.github.com/nanpuyue/ec7d34 ... edcd2a8844

That works perfectly for me. Thank you. It leaves a small bar that seems to be 4 pixels high at the top so I can still click and drag the windows. Awesome :)

FF 57.0 - Cinnamon 18.3
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

rotozeev wrote:
So, what I did:

1) Install devilspy

2) made folder
mkdir ~/.devilspie

4) Close my Firefox
Open Firefox
WIN!!!
worked for me too, but I have to run devilspie each time before opening FF. Not an ideal solution. Is there a way to automatize this process?
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

This solution works, FF starts not maximized but can be quickly maximized manually. Of course, I had to install the extra buttons (minimize, maximize, close). Seems to me the best "provisional" solution until the FF developers will fix this annoying behavior of the browser (not being capable of hiding the title bar).
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
rotozeev
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rotozeev »

xfrank wrote:
rotozeev wrote:
So, what I did:

1) Install devilspy

2) made folder
mkdir ~/.devilspie

4) Close my Firefox
Open Firefox
WIN!!!
worked for me too, but I have to run devilspie each time before opening FF. Not an ideal solution. Is there a way to automatize this process?
You can just add devilspie into Menu / Preferences / Startup Applications.
Steelbreeze

Post by Steelbreeze »

I want to add this for future searchers, as I found the perfect solution for this that I did not find while searching for an answer. I'm using 19 Tara XFCE and not sure about other versions.

Instead of completely eliminating the Firefox title bar I wanted to make it much smaller, like 1/4 the size it was or less, and still have the title, and the close, min and max buttons on it, but without taking up all the space.

I found the solution using "Window Manager" in the XFCE menu under Settings/Window Manager by changing the theme under the "Style" tab in Window Manager. I changed it from "Default-xhdpi" to "Mint-X-compact" and it made the Firefox title bar and it's buttons very small taking up little space, about 1/10 the size of how it was before.

There are also other theme choices that are smaller but not quite as small as the one I chose, the Mint-X-compact, so you can customize it to different sizes.

This also changes the title bar and buttons the same way everywhere, on all applications, Thunar, etc., a huge bonus, to me anyway.
Steelbreeze

Post by Steelbreeze »

I wanted to add this here too (just replied to another post asking the same thing) as this post (and the other) both came up when I searched for an answer to this. Hopefully it's ok the repost this reply again here as this thread is asking the same this as the other, and I didn't find this solution anywhere online while searching:

.......I found the perfect solution for this that I did not find while searching for an answer. I'm using 19 Tara XFCE and not sure about other versions.

Instead of completely eliminating the Firefox title bar I wanted to make it much smaller, like 1/4 the size it was or less, and still have the title, and the close, min and max buttons on it, but without taking up all the space.

I found the solution using "Window Manager" in the XFCE menu under Settings/Window Manager by changing the theme under the "Style" tab in Window Manager. I changed it from "Default-xhdpi" to "Mint-X-compact" and it made the Firefox title bar and it's buttons very small taking up little space, about 1/10 the size of how it was before.

There are also other theme choices that are smaller but not quite as small as the one I chose, the Mint-X-compact, so you can customize it to different sizes.

This also changes the title bar and buttons the same way everywhere, on all applications, Thunar, etc., a huge improvement, to me anyway.
slavko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slavko »

No-one has mentioned regular way to do it. Firefox can do it on it's own, no scripts needed, no extensions needed...

Click Customize... in the main menu, and in the lower left corner you'll find checkbox for turning off title-bar. You will still have your min/max/close buttons (moved automatically down to the end of tab-bar). The only drawback I found is: min/max/close buttons will be on the right side, even if you set them to the left side in your window manager settings.

ff.jpg

Return to “Software & Applications”