SOLVED firefox stopped displaying history

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

SOLVED firefox stopped displaying history

Post by sadhu »

LM 18.2-64 cinn

Often when downloading, I click the downloads button (tooltip: "Display the progress of ongoing downloads"), which shows a quick list of current downloads. Then I click "Show All Downloads" but suddenly I'm only getting a blank window.

This problem persists even when I restart FF in safe mode. I have tried all of the Mozilla help but nothing seems to apply, including inspecting places.sqlite.

View > Sidebar > history shows recent web pages
but bookmarks is blank. Also on the main menu, Bookmarks > Show all bookmarks gives the blank window, but all of the bookmarks still show up in the menu list. The bookmarks toolbar works fine.

Also, selecting History > show all history, which brings up the Library window, then i click Import/Backup and select Restore (and choose a saved backup database) I get the error "Unable to process the backup file."

I'm kinda stymied.

This all just started a couple of hours ago.

Thanks 4 ur help
-Sadhu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Re: firefox stopped displaying history

Post by sadhu »

Found the solution, which I thought I'd share.

caution -- this will destroy all your bookmarks -- so back them up first, if you haven't already.
  1. Quit firefox completely
  2. Go to firefox profile folder, and rename or delete all places.* files
  3. Restart firefox
  4. Click History > Show all history. The library window appears
  5. Click Import and Backkup, then select Restore; pick the most recent backup file.
-sadhu
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4

Return to “Software & Applications”