Issue wit updates

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ICIT2

Issue wit updates

Post by ICIT2 »

Now I think my first install was broken by me updating without know how updates work and now on the reinstall when I go to updates I am getting this message.

So can anyone please advise me on what is happening and what should do because I don't wnat the break this install as so far everything has been working like clockwork and the more I use this system the more impressive it is becoming but a I said a i don't want to wreck it again :|
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Issue wit updates

Post by catweazel »

The answer is right there on the screen dump you posted. "Please switch to another Linux Mint mirror", and "Switch to another Linux Mint mirror to solve this situation".

Select software sources from the Edit menu.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ICIT2

Post by ICIT2 »

Sorry catwaeazle amte but i am really new to this and I will have another look as I am really very wary of updates now because things are moving along I don't want it to go down the gurgler again
ICIT2

Post by ICIT2 »

Ok so I have got the updates window back again but I am not unsure of what ones to update as some are labeled Ubuntu some for Sonya and others for Sylvia and the levels are all quite different too so if I have Mint MATE 18.2 Sonja do i just install those an ignore the others - I am not trying to be pedantic I just don't want to wreck this install .
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Changing mirrors shouldn't create issues.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ICIT2

Post by ICIT2 »

Ok I have been doing some reading and in the update manager there should be a screen that gives policy options which apparently I should set to Keep my computer safe but it doesn't open with that I just get a list of updates appear so where do I go to est that policy to keep my computer safe?
I apologise for being so pedantic but I just want to do the right thing.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Open the Update manager and go to Edit and then Update Policy. You'll find it there.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ICIT2

Post by ICIT2 »

Thansk Moem any closer and it would have bitten me I really do appreciate the time and patience of everybody as I really want to make this my main OS now after being in Windows for so long and now I am afraid it is a parting of the ways with the coming Microsoft latest rendition.

Just one last query is it best for me to do one update at a time even though I have set it to keep my computer safe as I still a little perplexed with updates being there for all the versions within the Linux system?? ie ones for Ubuntu, Lubuntu Mint MATE etc or should I just stick to the ones for Mint MATE Sonya??

Plus thanks once again for the help :) .
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ICIT2 wrote:Just one last query is it best for me to do one update at a time even though I have set it to keep my computer safe as I still a little perplexed with updates being there for all the versions within the Linux system?? ie ones for Ubuntu, Lubuntu Mint MATE etc or should I just stick to the ones for Mint MATE Sonya??
Since you are now on the 'cautious' update policy, I'd consider it safe to just update everything that the updater offers you. You only get offered updates for your system and software, even if they're called Ubuntu-so-and-so; Mint is after all based on Ubuntu. Mint therefore has a lot in common with Ubuntu (and Lubuntu). Don't worry about that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ICIT2

Post by ICIT2 »

Thanks Moem I have done all level 1&2 updates but am just holding off on the 3&4 ones for the time being as the system is running pretty good right now :)

Return to “Software & Applications”