Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LLS

Post by LLS »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Adding Skype 8 to repositories?

Post by jimallyn »

You will find Skype in a repository that will show up in Synaptic just as soon as Microsoft creates that repository. In other words, never. Just download the .deb from the Skype website and double click it to install with gDebi.

https://go.skype.com/skypeforlinux-64.deb
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
LLS

Post by LLS »

Last edited by LLS on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

LLS wrote:some of the many conflicting instructions I found did seem to include lines adding some type of repository.
And why was the old Skype liased in Synaptic then?

And does gDebi provide you with an uninstall option? or updates
I know Skype used to be in Synaptic, but that was before Skype was bought by Microsoft. That changes everything. gDebi does use the apt system, so you should be able to uninstall it with Synaptic or Software Manager, or whatever. Some programs add a repository during the install process. I don't know if Skype does that or not. Also, some programs check for updates every time they are run and let you know if there is an update available. I don't know if Skype does that, either. I guess you will find out shortly.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

I am running 4.3.0.37 works fine. Microsoft has no interest in assuring Skype functions for Linux users. We are too small a number to scare them.
That said, if you receive an offer of "update" when you are using Skype - DO NOT DO IT!!! Long story short, it took me a half hour to repair the damage.

Return to “Software & Applications”