What programs are there for this?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

What programs are there for this?

Post by wutsinterweb »

My brother in law has been encouraging me to play guitar more like when I was young. I don't have an amp which is one reason for that. Now he has a USB/soundcard/musician's box thing he wants to lend me but we need to see what guitar tuner/sounds maker/effects pedel/mixing softwares that I'd want to use to create with might be out there.

For instance, I'd use a flanger and light fuzz, lay down some track, do another with echo and delay, add that track, then manufacure some rythem and simulate some bass. All in Linux, and then have my sister add keyboard.

Can that be done in Mint/Linux/GNU?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: What programs are there for this? = guitar effects

Post by Flemur »

Guitar effects:
"guitarix" - requires "jack".
"rakarrack" is better.

Edit - mixing:
ardour or ardour3 for mixing.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: What programs are there for this?

Post by trytip »

Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

I recommend Bitwig 8 Track. It works perfectly on Mint here. You can find cheap licenses, I paid $12 for mine. Or try the Linux Beta of Reaper. I use Reaper on Windows for guitar recording but have not tried it on Linux.

I don't know what the specs of your "USB/soundcard/musician's box" are but one thing you'll run into when recording your guitar is latency. Too high latency and you will have a hard time playing since there will be a huge lag between the time you hit a string and the time the sound comes from your speakers. I use a latency of 128 samples on my Win Studio which yields about 6 ms latency if I remember correctly. Generally speaking the more powerful your CPU the lower the latency you can get. I can help on the Windows side but I'm not familiar enough with Linux audio drivers to know how to get the best performance. :)

https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Check out the tools available here:
http://libremusicproduction.com/tools?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

To start with I'd suggest:
rakarrack, hydrogen (drum machine) and audacity for recording and mixing. Then you won't need "jack".
In audacity check these settings for mixing w/o feedback: Transport -> (Overdub and Software playthrough)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I'm liking rackarrak, but it takes over my audio to where I cannot play music at the same time in order to practice.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

when you play music using rackarrak and qjackctl in the audio player settings you need to select the jack output. so in audacious>file>settings>audio>Output plugin select JACK Output
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Try Ubuntu Studio. It's made for that sort of use.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Software & Applications”