BOINC Manager not starting

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roundfour
Level 1
Level 1

BOINC Manager not starting

Post by roundfour »

Hey guys,

I'm new to Linux Mint.
So far it looks pretty good.
Unfortunately I got a problem with the BOINC Manager.
I installed the BOINC client and manager through Synaptic, it worked fine for a few days.
Now I just rebooted, I can see the client running in System Monitor.
But the manager just won't start up when I click the icon, nothing happens.
Could someone please give me some help on how to troubleshoot this?

I'm using Linux Mint 18.2 x64.

Cheers,
Patrik
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: BOINC Manager not starting

Post by jimallyn »

Try running boincmgr from the command line. Sometimes that will give you an error message or other clue to what might be going on. Since you are new, you may not know how to run something from the command line. Open a terminal, which you can do by clicking the icon on the left side of the panel, or find it in the Menu. just type 'boincmgr' (without the quotes) and press enter.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
roundfour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roundfour »

Thanks for your reply.
'boincmgr' didn't do anything, also no error message.
Then I just gave 'sudo boincmgr' a chance and it opened up.
Is this a permission problem?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Yeah, sounds like a permissions problem, but I'm not sure exactly what to do about it. Somebody will know, though. When you start a graphical program with sudo, you should use gksudo. Not doing so can mess up the permissions of some things in your home folder, and if you have done that in the past, that could be why boincmgr wouldn't start now.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

I use Boinc manager but it can cause a few problems if not handled correctly. Before shutting down or rebooting I always make sure that all BOINC activities are suspended and the Boinc manager is closed. (I am running KDE 18.2 with BOINC manager 7.6.31.) While running it this way I have had zero problems.

Did you do a cold re-boot? (turn the power completely off) I do not think that this is a Mint problem but a Boinc manager problem.

Someone with more experience will probably have better answers but for me it became a non-question with the workaround...

Return to “Software & Applications”