Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
hybfnx
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon screensaver does not authenticate/log me in

Postby hybfnx » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 am

Hello everyone!
This is my first time posting and I am not a very experienced Linux user, so expect the unexpected in this thread.

A week ago or so, I accidentally moved the /etc folder away from it's supposed location trying to move another folder inside it. I was able to move it back in through some tutorials i read, and I was able to boot my system again.
What I noticed after was that my Lock-screen/Screensaver wasn't authenticating me and always prompting the "Invalid Password" every time I tried to enter it, although it was correct. I checked the /var/log/auth.log and came up with some errors regarding Cinnamon-Screensaver failing to authenticate, unix_chkpwd failing to check my password and some pam_kwallet.so stuff I am not familiar about.

I tried some fixes I found in my research including chowning unix_chkpwd, but to no success. I figure it might be something related to privileges who got messed up when I messed up my system, and I am looking for your expertise here to try and fix this issue without going for a full fresh install. The only way I can get myself in is by clicking the Switch User button and log in through what I think is the LightDM interface. I'll attach the errors in a file here.

Thank you for your time, patience and support.
My kindest regards.

cinn-fails.odt
authentication errors
(19.71 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Last edited by hybfnx on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

vimes666
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon screensaver does not authenticate/log me in

Postby vimes666 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:18 am

When you started up without /etc present your system may have created some files in a newly created /etc that could not be overwritten when you move the original /etc back.Did you get a prompt about overwriting when you moved /etc back?
If so, and you didnt choose to overwrite, that may have caused your problem.
If you still have the (complete) original /etc, try to copy it back to its position with the -f option (force overwrite).

Moving system directories is allways a bad idea, in every os.

hybfnx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hybfnx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:17 am

vimes666 wrote:When you started up without /etc present your system may have created some files in a newly created /etc that could not be overwritten when you move the original /etc back.Did you get a prompt about overwriting when you moved /etc back?
If so, and you didnt choose to overwrite, that may have caused your problem.
If you still have the (complete) original /etc, try to copy it back to its position with the -f option (force overwrite).

Moving system directories is allways a bad idea, in every os.

Thank you for your reply.
I don't recall having any prompt at all because in the root directory there was no /etc folder since I accidentally moved the original one out of it.
Were you able to see the error messages I attached? Could it possibly be any privilege issue or group policy that I can restore to it's original state?

Thank you in advance.

vimes666
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vimes666 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:48 am

I cannot see any attachements.
Did you check whether the current owner of /etc is root?

hybfnx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hybfnx » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:22 am

vimes666 wrote:I cannot see any attachements.
Did you check whether the current owner of /etc is root?

I've checked it and this is what comes up "drwxr-xr-x 151 root root 12288 Nov 22 22:54 etc".
I've also added the attachment to the original post if you don't mind taking a look.

Thank you once again for your time!

vimes666
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vimes666 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:33 am

I can read the attachements now. As far as I can see it is indeed haven a problen with your credentials, most likely because it cannot access something in /etc. There is a link on github about a similar problem https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-screensaver/issues/110 that may help you any further. I think you inadvertently messed up some crucial autorisations but I cannot check (not a cinnamon user so I do not have that screensaver).
If possible, I would reinstall the screensaver application.

Return to “Software & Applications”