I need a step-by-step-howto for downgrading Firefox Quantum back to 56

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frmb
Level 2
Level 2

I need a step-by-step-howto for downgrading Firefox Quantum back to 56

Post by frmb »

To me, having Noscript broken in Quantum is a No-Go. I tried a few others, but I'm too familiar with NoScript to refrain from it. Unfortunately I pressed "update" to fast in Linux Mints Package Tool (mintinstall 7.7.5). How do I "undo" the migration from FF (last version, don't know) to Quantum (57) ? I was up to date, so I need to go back only to the predecessor (56.x?). But how?

Thx

Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-Bit
Cinnamon 3.0.7
Linux-Kernel 4.4.0-98-generic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frmb
Level 2
Level 2

Re: I need a step-by-step-howto for downgrading Firefox Quantum back to 56

Post by frmb »

Just seen: Noscript is back in town, hence I don't need to downgrade FF anymore, BUT...

BTW: How do I go back to a previous version of a package? Is there some systematic approach? ...a guide? I don't mean reverting to a previous kernel, as I understood, these are available at boot time. I mean previous version of applications (like FF or LibreOffice)
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

You can use Synaptic to do this. Highlight Firefox for re-installation and use Ctrl+E Force Version. It can only offer versions available from the repositories you have connected. My Sylvia offers a choice of Firefox 45 or Firefox 57.

The Mint Update program will still offer the latest version. You can use the blacklist function in Mint Update to stop Firefox being offered for update in future.
frmb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frmb »

Mute Ant wrote:You can use Synaptic to do this. Highlight Firefox for re-installation and use Ctrl+E Force Version. It can only offer versions available from the repositories you have connected. My Sylvia offers a choice of Firefox 45 or Firefox 57.
Yeah...this shows up here exactly the same. Thx! But how do I climb from 45 to 56? Do I need to add another package repository?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

A how-to for going back to FF 56 would be a how-to, how to install by will a couple (more than a dozen) security leaks; actually the leaks in FF 56 allow an attacker to execute arbitrary program code. Providing such a how-to would be irresponsible.

The only acceptable method for reverting would be to switch to Firefox ESR.
frmb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frmb »

Cosmo. wrote:actually the leaks in FF 56 allow an attacker to execute arbitrary program code. Providing such a how-to would be irresponsible.
Sorry, I don not agree! Until last week I had a very secure system:
[*] running on Linux and not on Windows
[*] Firefox 56 and Noscript (with default: don't allow anything)

Since Scripting was forbidden by default and only allowed permantely for trusted sites (e.g. homebanking), temporarily for drive-by-sites and never for illegal-videos-dot-ru, there was no problem until last week. Now I have a Firefox 57, which sometimes crashes on spiegel.de (for unknow reasons) and I have a Noscript with the most ugly and uncomfortable UI ever seen. Not to talk about "Some script hangs on Noscript preferences page: stop-debug-wait on. I blame the moment, when I accidently updated FF.

Looks to me like a conspiracy for driving people to Chrome.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

No conspiracy, but reported by the BSI. (As you read spiegel.de I assume, that you are German and know this.)

Even the NoScript developer said - before releasing version 10 - that the alternative in conjunction with the legacy version is ESR, not 56.

If you agree doesn't matter; everybody does his mistakes on his own responsibility. Wanting others to provide a how-to for opening security leaks goes beyond this point.

Besides that: Rejecting the ESR solution does not make any sense, as long as you do not say, what FF 56 is able to do, but ESR 52.x is not. As long as you do not answer this point, you want a leaked browser without the least benefit.
frmb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frmb »

Cosmo. wrote:Rejecting the ESR solution does not make any sense, as long as you do not say, what FF 56 is able to do, but ESR 52.x is not.
I would be happy to use 52.x, but as far as I understood and see in Synaptic, there's only 45, which sounds a little bit old compared to 56.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Here is a complete tutorial about using ESR.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Easy. Step one: Don't. Either get used to Quantum or use another browser.

Using an out of date browser is one of the best ways to get hacked, You're just ASKING for it. BEGGING. I'm not one of those who have to have the latest updates of everything but browsers, you bet.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

frmb wrote:I would be happy to use 52.x, but as far as I understood and see in Synaptic, there's only 45, which sounds a little bit old compared to 56.
I used ff v45 before updating to 57 (52 and 56 were rather bad with CPU), no problems at all with v45.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Software & Applications”