Easy to use encryption software?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Easy to use encryption software?

Post by silfox2000 »

Have you tried to search in the Software Manager for something relevant like "crypt"? If you have did that you would get as a first result Cryptkeeper:
"An encrypted folders manager, it allows users to mount and unmount encfs folders, to change the password and to create new crypted folders. It integrates with your preferred file manager."
Does it sounds easy enough to you... I mean the search thing?
dark

Post by dark »

thevenerable wrote:
dark wrote:
thevenerable wrote:i'm not grizzling
I ASKED for a software that requires click to install only, like most people on the planet understand, and not terminal coding just to get basic things working.

But now i'm called a grizzler, and I am also given terminal code once again

Welcome to the world of linux
You don't have use terminal if you don't want to. You can do it GUI all the way.

1. Google "Veracrypt PPA".
2. Copy/Paste "ppa:unit193/encryption" to Software Sources > PPA > Add a new PPA.
3. Click "Update the cache" button on top right.
4. Search and Install VeraCrypt from Software Manager.
5. Run VeraCrypt from Menu.
Done.
Thanks, but It doesn't look so easy if you ask me lol.
I mean, it's not as if I can google the software, download it, and install it.
Who would know that I have to copy paste "ppa:unit193...." ect etc ?

I was advised to use mint, and file encryption, and tor, and 'qtox' instead of skype. I have tried skype on linux and it is not good. But I guess that maybe due to it being a microsoft product these days. I was told qtox is far more secure anyway.

I have had a lot of viruses, my paypal was stolen, and other issues also. (On windows)

I'm trying to get this set up but im having big problems.
This thing, i cannot work out at all:

https://www.linuxbabe.com/desktop-linux ... r-on-linux

Anyone ?
Needing to Copy/Paste will be obvious to you once you visit https://launchpad.net/~unit193/+archive ... encryption which is top site when you google veracrypt ppa.
It says in big bold text "Adding this PPA to your system" and ppa itself is also highlighted as bold right below so.
thevenerable

Post by thevenerable »

silfox2000 wrote:Have you tried to search in the Software Manager for something relevant like "crypt"? If you have did that you would get as a first result Cryptkeeper:
"An encrypted folders manager, it allows users to mount and unmount encfs folders, to change the password and to create new crypted folders. It integrates with your preferred file manager."
Does it sounds easy enough to you... I mean the search thing?
Of course i tried search, the only results that had any reviews was a unencryption service not an encryption service. So I wasn't sure what to choose.

No need to insult me either.
I personally don't care what works. If it does what I need it to do, be it windows or linux, I will use it.
It is not my fault that linux, while it runs really well, is so bloody difficult for non techies to use.

can anyone actually tell me how to install this :

https://www.linuxbabe.com/desktop-linux ... r-on-linux

Yes, I have READ the instruction, what else can I do?
I do not understand what to do regardless.

Thanks
thevenerable

Post by thevenerable »

Forget it, I'll go back to windows. I will just have to be more careful with my passwords etc in the future
I looked at installing qtox on windows and it is as easy as clicking a mouse.

cheers
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "thevenerable",

That's why you can ask the knowledgable people here.

1.) "qTox" is my favorite multi-media messenger (text, voice, video) and Skype alternative. But, there are various installation options. One of the problems is that "openSUSE" which held wonderful options for this, like the Ubuntu (Linux Mint) deb files and a repository has closed very recently. They are looking for a new repository maintainer, once they have one up and running, it will be easy to install again.

Install this for various applications
To install this open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert).

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https
I highly recommend installing "ffmpeg" version 3 which is used by many applications including qTox.
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-3

sudo apt update && sudo apt install ffmpeg libav-tools x264 x265

I know I have easy to install "qTox (Qtox)" deb file for the 64-bit version for Linux Mint 18.x, if you want it, click link below save the file, and double click to install it.
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... RAXzKT7p70

2.) Tor Browser bundle can be installed in various ways.
*** from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", search for and install "torbrowser-launcher"

- use the Webupd8 PPA
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/tor-browser

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install tor-browser
- just download their linux archive file, right click the file select extract here, and double click the launcher file "start-tor-browser.desktop" in that new folder. You can also copy this file to your desktop folder for a shortcut.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
thevenerable

Post by thevenerable »

Thanks for the clear instructions, and also the understanding that many of us do not want to learn the linux terminal language.

Your steps were clear, I had another go and encountered no problems.

I only have one more question,
Instead of having to type: ''Start Tor by running sudo service tor start''
Every time I boot up
Can I tell it to start automatically?

Thanks

Edit: think i worked it out, on a youtube video.
Start menu, startup programs, add, find the 'torify' shortcut and add.
I think ?!
377Ohms

Post by 377Ohms »

Take a look at a post I just made about how to install VeraCrypt (link below). The post looks complicated because I was taking detailed notes inspecting everything as I went. This information should be helpful to the O.P. where my post resides.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=257359&p=1390854#p1390854

But, installing VeraCrypt in Linux actually is really simple:

[1] Extract the downloaded VeraCrypt install archive file.

[2] Run the install script for the VeraCrypt version you want (32 or 64 bit, and GUI or command-line only).

To uninstall VeraCrypt just run the uninstall script that gets automatically installed like this:

$ sudo /usr/bin/veracrypt-uninstall.sh

To run VeraCrypt click the icon in Menu > Accessories > VeraCrypt (assuming GUI version was installed).
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "thevenerable",

You are welcome...

- So, do you have qTox installed now? Users can also install "uTox" and or other tox clients which also work interchangeably. I personaly prefer "qTox". I am in contact with the developers of qTox through their GitHub account now trying to find out when they will have a new working repository (software source) up and running again.

- I totally understand that some people do not want to learn how to use the console terminal commands. But even in MS Windows or Mac, you still had to use the command prompt at times for various reasons. So, it is a good idea to try and learn some basic console terminal commands.

FYI: Most users do not have to use the console terminal except for installing some software that is not in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) and for the rare maintenance command. There are over 50,000 software packages in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) that can easily be installed with a click or two.

- There are two or more "Tor" options: 1. Installing Tor Browser Bundle which is the preferred option or 2. Running Tor as a service. I would highly recommend using the Tor Browser bundle, not the Tor service which would run all the time.

For years, I have always installed the Tor browser bundle using the "Webupd8" PPA which creates menu items, and keeps it updated. I have not tried installing it using the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) option before.

And I have also tried downloading the Tor Project's self contained Linux archive file, simply right clicking that and extracting it to create a Tor browser folder, then using their desktop shortcut which also works well; with this latter method, I usually move the new folder from my downloads folder to my Home folder before I start it. You can also update it this way as well.

I only have the Tor Browser bundle installed for learning about it to help others here in this forum and myself, and the rare times I want to check out websites that can only be accessed using the Tor (onion) options. Otherwise, you can change your default ISP's DNS server IP addresses to a DNS provider's servers, and use a reliable secure VPN provider to surf the Internet safely, securely, and anonymously.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "thevenerable", and Everyone Else,

Since one of the best installation options for easily installing the superb "qTox" (Qtox) multi-media messenger, the "openSUSE" repository recently shutdown, I decided to create a post on installing qTox in the link below.

FYI: qTox (Qtox) messenger installation
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=257745&p=1390968#p1390968

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Software & Applications”