How to run Tor ?I

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thevenerable

How to run Tor ?I

Post by thevenerable »

Ii
I am trying to follow instruction online on how to get tor running.

'Install Tor by running sudo apt-get install tor.
Start Tor by running sudo service tor start.''

Very unclear as to HOW to 'Start Tor by running service to start'

What does that mean please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: How to run Tor ?I

Post by Mute Ant »

"sudo service tor start" This is a command you enter in a console.

If your interest in TOR is practical... you actually need to be anonymous on the Internet... the TAILS distribution is designed to stop trivial mistakes revealing your location or identity. Just switching on TOR in Mint does not make your machine invisible.
thevenerable

Post by thevenerable »

Thanks yes, i know what its a command I enter in a terminal

But what is the command please?

Edit: sorry, I got it now, its literally typing it as it says

I am using Mint for security reasons yes.
I heard it is more secure than windows.

But I am finding it very hard to use
thevenerable

Post by thevenerable »

I've had my paypal stolen and money was spent.
Possible had a 'keystroke' virus.
I've had other issues also.

I was hoping I could just figure out how to get linux 'secure' then not have to fiddle with it anymore.
Even this task seems beyond me lol
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

thevenerable wrote:I've had my paypal stolen and money was spent.
Possible had a 'keystroke' virus.
I've had other issues also.

I was hoping I could just figure out how to get linux 'secure' then not have to fiddle with it anymore.
Even this task seems beyond me lol
You don't have to figure out how to "get linux secure" - it's inherently secure when you install it. You don't have to fiddle with it but if you want to harden its security, you can but it is not really necessary for the average user. I have been using Linux Mint since 2009 and have never gotten any malware of any type on my computer.

The main security for your computer is between the chair and the keyboard. Never install software unless you trust its source. Never install software from some random website that you may be visiting. All software installation requires an administrator's password to install. If you are asked for the password when you do not expect to be asked for it, DON'T type it but rather click "Cancel" in the dialogue box...

The problematic vulnerability on a Linux box could be the browser. I use Firefox with NoScript (add-on) to thwart problematic scripts from running in the browser. If you want to be extra special careful, create a "regular user" for mundane websurfing. If this user somehow gets corrupted, you can just log in as the administrator and delete the whole user's account and with it any problems... Having said that, I have never done it and have never had any problems. You might want to learn how to back up your browser profile and do that occasionally.

You probably don't need TOR unless you are looking for serious anonymity. I have no need for that degree of anonymity so I don't use it as I view it as cost without benefit. YMMV

Best,

- R -
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
thevenerable

Post by thevenerable »

Cheers for the tips
I just try to avoid the terminal at all costs

Return to “Software & Applications”