paiyaso
Level 1
Level 1

Can't install firefox

Postby paiyaso » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:38 am

Due to this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintinstall/AptClient/AptClient.py", line 74, in _run
cache.commit(acquire_progress_monitor, install_progress_monitor)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 512, in commit
res = self._fetch_archives(fetcher, pm)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 346, in _fetch_archives
return self._run_fetcher(fetcher)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 325, in _run_fetcher
raise FetchFailedException(err_msg)
FetchFailedException: Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/upst ... _amd64.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 68.235.39.11 80]

I am just a newbie, searched for more information about this but couldn't really find anything.

Moem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Can't install firefox

Postby Moem » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 am

Firefox is already installed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

paiyaso
Level 1
Level 1

Postby paiyaso » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 am

Moem wrote:Firefox is already installed.

Yeah, I uninstalled it from software manager because I was trying to update to Firefox 57 but couldn't really do it, so seems like there are still some files left? How to get rid of them?

Moem
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Moem » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 am

And how are you trying to reinstall it?

Updating to version 57 is done through the Updater, and the update is offered to you automatically. Honestly you're making this much more complicated than it needed to be, all you had to do is fetch your updates. But I'm sure we can help you fix this, no worries.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

paiyaso
Level 1
Level 1

Postby paiyaso » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:12 am

Moem wrote:And how are you trying to reinstall it?

Updating to version 57 is done through the Updater, and the update is offered to you automatically. Honestly you're making this much more complicated than it needed to be, all you had to do is fetch your updates. But I'm sure we can help you fix this, no worries.

I didn't got any information about updating to Firefox 57 like I got on my Windows 10 for example, and I didn't knew how to update it manually so I thought that I will just remove my current Firefox and re-install it. It is indeed complcated for me as a newbie. So so far I tried to remove firefox packages in terminal by: 'sudo apt-get remove firefox' but it didnt't work out.

paiyaso
Level 1
Level 1

Postby paiyaso » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:17 am

Moem wrote:And how are you trying to reinstall it?

I'm trying to reinstall it from the software manager and the linux mint apps page, but I'm getting this error that was mentioned earlier. Tried from official Firefox page too, installed tar.bz2 file extracted it like in some tutorial, and the next step is to move extracted file into opt folder but im getting an error that this directory or file doesn't exist.

Sorry that I might not talk like a professional and making it so complicated but as I said I'm just a newbie ;(

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Postby minitux » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Code: Select all

sudo rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists/* && sudo apt update

sudo apt install firefox

and post the output, and post also

inxi -Sr
Sorry for my English, is not my language

When you ask for support, put the output of inxi -Fxz

Moem
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Moem » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:59 pm

paiyaso wrote:Tried from official Firefox page too

Yeah, don't do that. If you install it from the repo ( =repository, Mint's software warenhouse, so to speak) you'll get automatic updates. So much easier. Can you copy and paste the commands that Minitux gave you into a terminal?

Keep in mind that when entering your password into a terminal, you don't see the password, and no stars or dots or anything else either. Just type it in blindly and press Enter.

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Postby jimallyn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:51 pm

Like Moem said, you are making it much more complicated than it needs to be. Forget all the stuff you have heard about Linux being hard to use. Pretty much any time you find something is complicated, you're going about it wrong. Updates are handled by the Update Manager. Look for the shield icon in the panel on the lower left of your screen. If that turns blue, there are updates available. Click the icon, Update Manager will open, click Install, and enter your password when it asks for it. And that's it. New applications can be installed with either Software Manager or Synaptic. I prefer Synaptic, as that's what I've been using for 15 years, but I am told a lot of newcomers prefer to use Software Manager. Your choice. As far as installing from tar.bz2 or tar.gz files, it is quite rare that you ever have to do that. Everything can be done with the tools Mint has provided for you: Update Manager, Software Manager, and Synaptic. Welcome to Linux Mint!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Software & Applications”