Firefox 57 Quantum -- add-ons

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Firefox 57 Quantum -- add-ons

Post by thx-1138 »

Hi "thx-1138",

Again, thank you.
My pleasure :-)
Thank the reddit guys though, without them i'd be lost as well...the Mozilla devs are really giving us a hard time with Quantum so far i think... :roll:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "thx-1138",

I am still not sure why Mozilla (Firefox) released this version which obsoleted almost all previous add-ons now; seems a little premature. Yet, this new version supposedly allows us to use "chrome and opera" add-ons, and to use certain code (hacks) like this scrollbar one.

But as I stated before, I have found what I call "must have" security add-ons are available, and some of the other good useful add-ons, or new ones like them, are available. Others are being updated, and new ones will be added like before. I do really miss TabMix Plus though, and Foxytabs is a little quirky at times, but very nice.

I really liked the ability to have custom scrollbars with custom colors which the previous "NoiaScrollbars" add-on provided for scrollbar visibility, etc... And now with the changes you provided from those links from Reddit, and GitHub, etc... other users of Firefox 57 can have this too. Now if someone can take this scrollbar procedure (and other firefox GUI features) and create an add-on to make this easy for typical end-users, or even integrate it into Firefox preferences, that would be even better.

Have a great day and night.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

Another chrome and content hack to keep an eye on is

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... ontentcss/
https://github.com/overdodactyl/userContent-tweaks

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... e_manager/
https://github.com/jonnyrobbie/UserChro ... serfirefox

This is useful enhancement of Firefox's incomplete dark theme

A addon dark theme related is Dark Background and Light Text.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

phd21 wrote:Hi "thx-1138",

I am still not sure why Mozilla (Firefox) released this version which obsoleted almost all previous add-ons now; seems a little premature. Yet, this new version supposedly allows us to use "chrome and opera" add-ons, and to use certain code (hacks) like this scrollbar one.
As always, I am in agreement with you. This was the cart before the horse. They should have allowed some way to make the popular add-ons work.
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint 21 Vera with Cinnamon.
Jlvs2run
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jlvs2run »

Flemur wrote:addon I really miss is "adblock + element blocker"
I miss that one too, and Noiascrollbars.
LM 18.3 xfce / lenovo T520 / 8gb ram / 240gb ssd
LM 18.3 xfce / biostar a870u3 / amd athlon II x2 250 / 8gb ram / nvidia gt218 geforce 210 /
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

Jlvs2run wrote:
Flemur wrote:addon I really miss is "adblock + element blocker"
I miss that one too
uBlock Origin can do that for you, and with a lower resource overhead than Adblock.
Flemur wrote:I only wanted the "element blocker"; ublock doesn't have an "expand" (like adblock) so I'd end up blocking 3 or 4 things to block one container.
It does have an "expand", but it works differently from ABP's feature. When you click on an element, a list of elements pops up in the lower-right corner. Click through the lines in that list and you will see the selected area expand or contract.

Really, uBlock Origin is an amazing extension. I'm now using it in place of ABP, Element Hiding Helper, Disable WebRTC, and NoScript. (Regarding NoScript, uBlock Origin is not a complete replacement, but I find that it's a reasonable solution for me if I use what the author calls "medium" or "hard" blocking modes. See https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode for explanations.)
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

OK to dump Stylus. It seems Stylish has caught up with Quantum, so you can dump Stylus, which just added another layer to the appearance scripts.
Cecilieaux
--
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

cecilieaux wrote:OK to dump Stylus. It seems Stylish has caught up with Quantum, so you can dump Stylus, which just added another layer to the appearance scripts.
Could you please explain what you mean by "just added another layer to the appearance scripts"? As far as I can tell, Stylus works the same as Stylish without the privacy concerns of Stylish.
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

no UI improvement could possibly justify a regression in security!
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

One word: Opera.
Cecilieaux
--
Polydorus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Polydorus »

I was a fan of Noia Scrollbars also. I'm colorblind and can hardly find Firefox Scrollbars without it. Gnome color chooser does a great job on everything I've tried it on but has no effect on Firefox's Scrollbars.

Has anyone found a replacement for Noia Scrollbars? TIA

Return to “Software & Applications”