FYI: qTox (Qtox) secure multimedia messenger installation

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: FYI: qTox (Qtox) secure multimedia messenger installation

Post by phd21 »

HI arvY99,

Sorry, you are having issues with installing "qTox". Installing "qTox" should have been easy for you or anyone else for that matter. The deb files would work, but they would not be the most current version of qTox. "AppImages" also require that the "fuse" package be installed, but that should already be installed in all editions of Linux Mint, but check on that as well.

Is there more to the message other than "shared library is not supported"?

I do not currently have a freshly installed Mate 18.3 system to test this with (yet). I have run the install scripts on various versions of Linux Mint 19 and 18.x without issues.

FYI: nobody can install anything properly from the console terminal if you also have the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) open and visa-versa.

Also, try running these console terminal commands to make sure that any other software has completed their installations correctly.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get install -f  
You should not have had a problem installing packages like "cmake", etc... either. Try restarting and re-running the install script again, and let me know.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
arvY99
Level 3
Level 3

Post by arvY99 »

Hi phd21,

Here are the snapshots of the messages I get when trying to run the AppImage file:

As for your last post, I did restart, quit the update manager and run the two commands in the console. The first gave no output, the 2nd listed a couple of packages that are not required anymore.
Running the script in both the Download folder and home gave the same results/errors as before:

Might stay with the 'old' qTox or it could be a good reason to move to LM19 :wink:

Thanks again!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi arvY99,

You are welcome... again... :)

1.) Okay, after downloading Linux Mint Mate version 18.3 and installing that to a USB stick (16gb) and running the typical new installation updates, I downloaded the current qTox AppImage file "qTox-v1.16.3.AppImage" from their link which I updated in my previous reply, installed "ffmpeg" version 3.x, and tried to double-click the AppImage file from the file manager, and I got the same "shared library" error message you did? I did not have this problem except in Linux Mint Mate 18.x

Current qTox AppImages
https://github.com/qTox/qTox/releases/

So, I opened a console terminal in the home folder where I put the AppImage (/apps), and ran the typical command for AppImages below (just add ./ to the front of the file name), and it came right up.

./qTox-v1.16.3.AppImage
Then, I thought I would create a desktop shortcut launcher to the AppImage, but that would not work in Linux Mint Mate 18.x? So, I remembered there was a companion application called "AppImageLauncher" that is available from the link below for all editions and versions of Linux Mint 64-bit and 32-bit, there are specific ones for Linux Mint 19.x based on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic, and I installed the regular 64-bit deb file, restarted Mate, then I could double-click the AppImage file and it now asked If I wanted to run it once which works now, or integrate it with my Mate desktop, pretty cool. The strange thing is that although it added it to my Mate menus, I still could not launch qTox AppImage from the menu, but If I right-clicked the menu item for qTox and added it to my desktop, or my system tray panel, those worked perfectly?

"AppImageLauncher"
https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImage ... r/releases

64-bit deb file for Linux Mint 18.x and 17.x
https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImage ... _amd64.deb

32-bit deb file for Linux Mint 18.x and 17.x
https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImage ... b_i386.deb

2.) As for my qTox installation script in Linux Mint Mate 18.3, I have not yet tested that because I did not want to "skew" my fresh Mate 18.3 testing environment for software available as AppImages by installing the qTox source code and dependencies, but I will report on that. FYI: I meant for the qTox installation script to be run from people's Home folder.

3.) Remember there is also the "Flatpak" option which can be installed from the Software Manager, but I have not tried that.

Hope this helps ...
Screenshot at 2018-08-04 17-53-49.jpg
Screenshot at 2018-08-04 18-56-57.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi arvY99,

I have just tried my Linux Mint 18.x qTox installation script in the Mate 18.3 version and it did not compile, "cmake" compiling problems?

I modified the script and now it does seem to compile and install everything except for the compiling "sqlcipher" which is already installed using the script from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

Please test this qTox install script "qtox-install-lm18.sh" and let me know if it works on your Linux Mint Mate 18.x system.

Download link for the new qTox install script "qtox-install-lm18.sh" for Linux Mint 18.x
https://mega.nz/#!FFFhCYYa!CdLtuXiGBKm9 ... B8VUkugIMg

Hope this helps ...
arvY99
Level 3
Level 3

Post by arvY99 »

Hi phd21,

1. I tried again the AppImage with the leading "./"... It's indeed working that way! Incredible how it changed things :D
Still new to linux, so far used this way of launching for the recovery application 'testdisk' only. Good to know!
I did not install the launcher yet because I wanted to test your new script before.

2. I tried your new script. As you noted, some problems for sqlcipher but it's already installed.
The qtox and toxcore parts seem to work fine till the end of the script. The new qTox appears in the menu and can be launched directly from there. The old link remains in the menu but both links launch the new version of qTox :D

3. I did not try the Flatpak either.

Thanks again, sure it helps!

Edit: the script was run from the home folder and created the sqlcipher, qtox and toxcore folders there.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi arvY99,

You are welcome...

Glad you have qTox installed now. It is a wonderful multimedia messenger that uses very little system resources.
arvY99 wrote:1. I tried again the AppImage with the leading "./"... It's indeed working that way! Incredible how it changed things :D Still new to linux, so far used this way of launching for the recovery application 'testdisk' only. Good to know! I did not install the launcher yet because I wanted to test your new script before.
According to the AppImage people, to run AppImages just add the ./ to the front of an AppImage filename which works and that is one way on how to run bash script (.sh) programs as well. It is just nice to have an easy desktop shortcut launcher or menu item. Usually, you can create a shortcut launcher to the Appimage file and it works, but it did not in LM Mate 18.x? I wonder (and will test) in LM Mate 18.x and others, if creating a bash script (LaunchSomething.sh) with just the "./Software.AppImage" in it can be referenced from a desktop shortcut or menu item to work that way although I really like the AppImageLauncher program.
arvY99 wrote:2. I tried your new script. As you noted, some problems for sqlcipher but it's already installed.
The qtox and toxcore parts seem to work fine till the end of the script. The new qTox appears in the menu and can be launched directly from there. The old link remains in the menu but both links launch the new version of qTox :D
The script actually downloads the current version of qTox and compiles it and then installs it with a menu item and the script can be run in the future for updated newer versions. I still do not quite understand why the script behaved differently in Linux Mint Mate 18.3, but I am glad it is working now.
arvY99 wrote: 3. I did not try the Flatpak either.
Of all the "self-contained" software packaging options, like AppImage, Flatpak, Snap, I prefer AppImages which seem to work even on the older systems like Mint 17.x whereas the others do not. But, the flatpak for qTox from the Software Manager would be easy to install and might work as well as the other installation options.

FYI: AppImageLauncher: Helper application for Linux distributions serving as a kind of "entry point" for running and integrating AppImages. "AppImageLauncher makes your Linux desktop AppImage ready™". Under Installation click "release page" download the regular Linux deb file for Linux Mint 18.x or earlier and the Bionic for Linux Mint 19.x, then doubvle-click it to install it, may want to restart computer beofre using the first time.
https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImageLauncher
arvY99 wrote:Edit: the script was run from the home folder and created the sqlcipher, qtox and toxcore folders there.
That is what it is supposed to do. Each of those software packages has their own source code and folder where the compiling process was performed, there is nothing wrong or bad having them there. If you run the qTox install script again, it will delete those folders and recreate them again.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

I updated my first post in this post on qTox with new information and newly updated installation options, see page 1 of this post.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

phd21 added to subscriptions
redlined

Post by redlined »

well... add me too MrGrimm! (so I can bug ya more often :mrgreen:

as an aside, where the heck does qtox hide user string to share and connect with others? :oops:

also, thanks for this guide and easy-peasy install script phd21! compile and install via your lm19.sh worked perfectly! I did mean to ask you was a debug build desired? (I think that is what lm19 script builds, basing this on something I read in terminal results from the build)

also, worthy of mention, in your script I changed sudo make install to sudo checkinstall as suggested in the newbie forum pinned post by xenopeek on build essentials and checkinstall being a better option. Otherwise, and as you know, qtox is up and running fine!

one minor nitpick, it doesn't appear to "wake up" and make any status changes other than to go from green (on and available) to yellow (away) automagically. This doesn't matter any to me but seemed strange it would not go back to green from yellow when I become active on computer again and/or when qtox is opened and even loading active chats in there.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi redlined,

You are very welcome...
redlined wrote:as an aside, where the heck does qtox hide user string to share and connect with others?
In your hidden "./config/tox" folder and files. I recommend that you do not forget to backup your qtox profile by clicking your name in the upper left then scroll down on right-side to export profile.
redlined wrote:I did mean to ask you was a debug build desired? (I think that is what lm19 script builds, basing this on something I read in terminal results from the build)
I paraphrased their installation from software source code instructions. You can open the script file as I just did, but I did not see anything about compiling specifically as a debug build, not that there is anything wrong with that?
redlined wrote:also, worthy of mention, in your script I changed sudo make install to sudo checkinstall as suggested in the newbie forum pinned post by xenopeek on build essentials and checkinstall being a better option. Otherwise, and as you know, qtox is up and running fine!
You do not need to alter the installation script file, you can run the "sudo checkinstall qtox" afterward from that folder to create your own Linux qtox.deb file, if you want.
redlined wrote:one minor nitpick, it doesn't appear to "wake up" and make any status changes other than to go from green (on and available) to yellow (away) automagically. This doesn't matter any to me but seemed strange it would not go back to green from yellow when I become active on computer again and/or when qtox is opened and even loading active chats in there.
If I am away from my computer or do not use anything longer than the qtox setting for "away" the icon will change to yellow for "away", but as soon as I start using the computer again it changes to green for online again even though it was still online. You can still leave messages as long as it is running.

redlined

Post by redlined »

phd21 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:39 pm Hi redlined,

You are very welcome...
redlined wrote:as an aside, where the heck does qtox hide user string to share and connect with others?
In your hidden "./config/tox" folder and files. I recommend that you do not forget to backup your qtox profile by clicking your name in the upper left then scroll down on right-side to export profile.
ahhh, I backed up config/tox manually before, I see now where export profile and where the user string itself is- just click on name to bring up profile and it's there for a click to copy easy function, issue marked [solved] :mrgreen:
phd21 wrote:
redlined wrote:I did mean to ask you was a debug build desired? (I think that is what lm19 script builds, basing this on something I read in terminal results from the build)
I paraphrased their installation from software source code instructions. You can open the script file as I just did, but I did not see anything about compiling specifically as a debug build, not that there is anything wrong with that?
I don't think there is anything wrong with it if it is debug build, other than resource use? I haven't noticed any significant impact so was more just curious than anything else.
phd21 wrote:
redlined wrote:also, worthy of mention, in your script I changed sudo make install to sudo checkinstall as suggested in the newbie forum pinned post by xenopeek on build essentials and checkinstall being a better option. Otherwise, and as you know, qtox is up and running fine!
You do not need to alter the installation script file, you can run the "sudo checkinstall qtox" afterward to create your own Linux qtox.deb file, if you want.
hmmm, I think sudo make install not only makes the deb but installs it too(?). That is what checkinstall does- builds the deb and installs it, as well ensures all dependencies are met and builds a manual for local reference (although I do not know how to access that manual yet, I go through the steps to make one :lol:
phd21 wrote:
redlined wrote:one minor nitpick, it doesn't appear to "wake up" and make any status changes other than to go from green (on and available) to yellow (away) automagically. This doesn't matter any to me but seemed strange it would not go back to green from yellow when I become active on computer again and/or when qtox is opened and even loading active chats in there.
If I am away from my computer or do not use anything longer than setting for "away" in the qtox settings the icon will change to yellow for "away", but as soon as I start using the computer again it changes to green for online again. You can still leave messages as long as it is running
yah, as you describe it is as I expected it to work, but it does not shift back to green when I become active or even while engaged in chat. I've doublechecked settings, not sure what is going on though it is no big deal for me as messages will be sent and received regardless.

Real cool app, glad you refered me to it and this thread- I was looking for something secure from desktop since signal app is synced between my laptop and partners cell phone and I wanted something to chat on LAN as well f&f willing to add some secure chat function to their arsenal 8)
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Hi Phd21,

I have a second computer with Linux Mint 17.3 KDE installed on it. I want to retain this operating system for as long as I can, as it has my Canon Pixma iP1600 printer still installed and working in it.
Question:
What is the best way to install Qtox on this operating system?
I have not read through this entire thread, as I am not sure it will be relevant or not.
Maybe I should?

Thanks for the thread.

J.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Wompoo,

You are welcome...

I know that you already had qTox installed before on all your computers including the Linux Mint 17.3 KDE computer? What happened to it? Did you remove it?

On the one computer you have that you just upgraded to Linux Mint 19.x, you obvious had to install qTox on that which has 3 installation options for Linux Mint 18.x and 19.x users. And, I know that is working since you and I have already use it.

Anyone using Linux Mint 17.x would have to install one of the older qTox linux deb files available in the various links in this post including the first post. But as every Linux Mint person should know, Linux Mint 17.x is loosing long-term (LTS) support this year, so everyone should upgrade to Linux Mint 18.3 or Linux Mint 19.x.

If for some reason, you have some older hardware like your printer that you have working in Linux Mint 17.x which may or may not install the same way in Linux Mint 18.x or 19.x, then you to to try another method to get the printer working or get another printer.

Hope this helps ...
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

phd21 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:28 pm Hi Wompoo,
I know that you already had qTox installed before on all your computers including the Linux Mint 17.3 KDE computer? What happened to it? Did you remove it?
I did not remove it from this computer. I don't recall ever having it on this computer. If I did, then it is not there now................???
........................... get another printer.......................
Yes, that is the best solution. I will be doing so as soon as my budget allows. I have short listed a HP inkjet, as I understand they maintain drivers ongoing, which Canon has a poor record of doing.
In the meantime, I will keep this Mint 17.3 operating system installed to keep my printer functional for the interim period.

Thanks for the reply.
Desktop PC #1
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Hi Phd21,

I tried to install Qtox on this Dell 64 bit computer, but I met with a "cannot satisfy dependencies" error notice.
I followed your instruction at post #1 of this thread starting with: "Previous Older Instructions".

I will attach a screenshot.
What do you suggest?
Desktop PC #1
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Wompoo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:43 pm Hi Phd21,

I tried to install Qtox on this Dell 64 bit computer, but I met with a "cannot satisfy dependencies" error notice.
I followed your instruction at post #1 of this thread starting with: "Previous Older Instructions".

What do you suggest?
try installing qtox in whatever other desktop you are running. you issue might just be something with kde. also you might want to try to install another program in a .deb package to see if you get the same issue.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

MrGrimm wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:53 am
Wompoo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:43 pm Hi Phd21,

What do you suggest?
try installing qtox in whatever other desktop you are running. you issue might just be something with kde. also you might want to try to install another program in a .deb package to see if you get the same issue.
Thanks Mr. G.
I do have Qtox installed and working on another computer, this one that I am now writing on, so I will be ok to use that one. I will get back to trying your suggestion on my Dell machine when I get a chance to spend some time on it.

Jim.
Desktop PC #1
arvY99
Level 3
Level 3

Post by arvY99 »

Hi,

Wondering if qtox is still an alive project/application.
The latest version (1.16.3, https://github.com/qTox/qTox/releases) is from July 2018, saw some files from Oct 2019 and packages about 1.16.3-2 though.
Any official news?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi arvY99,

As far as I know the project is still active although there does not seem to be much activity being expressed since last year. I know they have added various "dark" theme options.

"qTox" has been and is my favorite secure multi-media messenger for text, voice (audio) calling, and video calling to others using various Tox clients because it is secure, light on system resources, and it works well.

Anyone can create an "issue" on their GitHub website to ask questions, request new features, report bugs or potential bugs, etc... And if you want other Linux Mint members to add to your "issue(s)" and or comments, then say so here. My last issue that I posted was related to slow file transfers which they did acknowledge there are some issues with that and that they would correct those in future updates.

In the link below, you can see any development activity on the right-side. I see activity within the past month. They have a development version 1.17-dev which is considered "unstable" (Alpha, Beta) releases, but you would have to compile it yourself to get that version.
https://github.com/qTox/qTox

Hope this helps ...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi arvY99, and anyone else interest,

I updated my qTox (Qtox) script programs that can download, compile, and install qTox's current version and I created a new one for their development version (1.17-dev) if anyone wants to try it. I have attached an archive file (qTox_2019-11-05_install_scripts.tar.gz) to this reply. These are for Linux Mint 19.x and other Linux systems based on Ubuntu 18.04 or newer. Just download the archive, using your file manager right-click and extract here, copy whichever script you want to use to your home folder, and run it from a console terminal prompt there. You will be prompted for your password one time.

For qTox current regular "stable" version 1.16.3 with any recent updates
bash qtox-install-lm19_20191104.sh

For qTox current development version 1.17-dev
bash qtox-install-lm19_20191104_dev.sh

Hope this helps ...
qTox_2019-11-05_install_scripts.tar.gz
Linux archive file with two scripts I created for downloading qTox source code, compiling the code, and installing it.
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Return to “Software & Applications”