Installing on wine - question

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Installing on wine - question

Post by 1.618 »

So, recently I came across a copy of The Settlers - Rise of an Empire in my cupboard, I used to play it on windows so thought I'd try and run it under wine, wine hq gives it a silver rating.

To start with every time I tried to install the game it kept asking me to insert the install disc even though it was already in the drive and I had already set up winecfg to recognise the dvd drive. I googled and read the wine documentation but it wouldn't have it, so as a last chance I opened Caja as root, made my way to autorun.exe and gave it a go, Success!! the game installed properly, however as I was running caja as root the game installed into roots file system not my everyday user file system where I wanted it. I copied the .wine folder from /root/desktop to /user/home/ and chown the persmissions to my standard user. I can now play the game as a standard user (without running wine as root). The problem now is if I install another game within wine and use the same method, when I copy /root/.wine to my home folder I am going to lose all my saved game data that already exists in my /home/.wine/ folder

So my question, and yes I have googled this and read the wine documentation but can't see what I need :)

How do I install things within wine to my normal /home/.wine/ when I can't run an .exe without root permissions and I cannot change the permissions of the game I'm trying to install and without losing any stored data wihtin already installed wine apps?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Installing on wine - question

Post by Pierre »

one method, and will take a bit of mucking about,
is to place each one into it's own subdirectory of the C: drive that's within ./wine,
- something similar to what you would do, on any normal windows C: drive . .

another way, is to use the Commercial Version of ./wine:
www.codeweavers.com
and save each Game into it's own ./wine Bottle,, each of which is an self contained C: drive.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

1.618 wrote:I opened Caja as root, made my way to autorun.exe and gave it a go, Success!!
Is that the same process you tried which didn't work when you were not root?
Did you already have a ~/.wine directory?

It sounds like some normal-user's wine setting was messing it up - try installing it again as a regular user and see if it works now.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

Have you looked at PlayonLinux, it makes installing and configuring windows software much easier.

PS
NEVER use the root password with wine

Return to “Software & Applications”