Where in Mint is the "default browser" setting set?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

Where in Mint is the "default browser" setting set?

Postby Kurt3162 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:08 am

Short version:
All of a sudden my old FF 56 doesn't seem to be able to detect its "default browser" status. Yet it still is the default browser.
Does somebody know how the minty FF checks if it has "default" status or not? In Windows I would guess by checking the Registry, but what is the Linux equivalent?

Longer description:
(Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, using Firefox 56 (no, I did not upgrade). Firefox is my default browser, has been for years.)
All of a sudden yesterday FF complained it wasn't the default browser anymore, so I told it to claim back default status, but it wasn't able (it still pretends to not be the default browser).
I fired up Mint's "Preferred Applications" app to check, and under "Web" I see "Firefox Web Browser (Firejailed)" (which is the name of the FF shortcut in my Main Menu). I tried to change this "Preferred" setting, and then back again, in case something had gotten stuck somewhere, but this didn't fix it either.
Apparently FF is misreading the "default browser" setting since yesterday. While I agree it's purely cosmetic (everything works like intended), I'd still like to understand...

Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Where in Mint is the "default browser" setting set?

Postby Amii_Leigh » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:34 pm

I think you want "Preferred Application" in Preferences, which is Menu/Preferences/Preferred Applications. I hope that works for you! :)
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.

Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Where in Mint is the "default browser" setting set?

Postby Kurt3162 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Thank you, but as I said above (in the "Longer description" part), I already went there. :)
The problem lies deeper, somewhere between that "Preferred Applications" program and the place this setting is stored ("Preferred Applications" is just a front end to change that setting) - or between that place and Firefox.
That's why I'm asking where this setting is written on the disk, in case it might allow me to understand why Firefox can't access it anymore.

Return to “Software & Applications”