Caja: I miss my zebra stripes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Caja: I miss my zebra stripes

Post by vimes666 »

I am using Mint since version 14 and in all versions I had a zebra background pattern in Caja in the file list portion of the screen (alternating white and light grey every other line).
However I noticed this feature has disappeared in version 18.2. Has this feature been dropped or can I still switch it on in some way?

I am using using Mint Mate, 64bits with theme: industrial, icons: mint-x-yellow, windows-border: win-me, on all my pc's and only the version 18.2 ones do not have the stripes.

One of the 18.2 pc's formarly had 17.3 running where it díd have the zebra pattern showing, so I guess it's disappearance is not videocard related.

As my eyes are troubling me I would like to have this feature back since it was very helpful for me especially on wide screens.

All help is very much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Caja: I miss my zebra stripes

Post by BenTrabetere »

I think what you are looking for is found in Edit>Backgrounds and Emblems on the menu bar. From the Pattern tabs drag one of the images in the Patterns tab to the Caja window. Wavy White looks somewhat zebra-ish. The patterns are in /usr/share/caja/patterns if you want to add a pattern to the listing.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

I think what you are looking for is found in Edit>Backgrounds and Emblems on the menu bar.
No unfortunately not. Those are really just background images and they cannot be dragged into the file list area.
I made some screenshots with and without zebra stripes to make it a little clearer what I mean:

I am not sure what application is creating the stripes, ik could be the mate theme handler or it could be caja or something else. I cannot find anything about it.,
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

I believe such bars are a part of the theme itself.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

I believe such bars are a part of the theme itself.
I did some comparisons between the two screenshot pc's.
The GTK versions are the same and they contain the same theme engines.
However the versions of Caja(MATE) differ, 1.16.6 vs 1.18.5.

I had a quick look at the MATE website http://mate-desktop.org/ only to notice that they have an image of the zebra stripes prominently on their frontpage ;) oh irony..

Anyhow, it seems I have to dig deeper in that site..
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Those are part of the theme. There is a big difference between Mate 1.16 and Mate 1.18. The first is built on gtk2, the second on gtk3. That's why you see the difference.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

JosephM wrote:Those are part of the theme. There is a big difference between Mate 1.16 and Mate 1.18. The first is built on gtk2, the second on gtk3. That's why you see the difference.
Indeed, no stripes in LM 18.2
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

So once again gtk3 took away something good that was available in gtk2? I guess that's progress. :?
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

Thanks for the info on gtk3, I was't aware that it was used. I noticed there is a thread on github about caja and gtk3 about an issue with the backgrounds and emblems, but I am not sure whether that covers the zebra pattern as well. https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja/issues/506
More reading I guess..
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

I also found this post on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/mate/comments/ ... list_view/
Unfortunately no further response on that site.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

Just upgraded a pc to 18.3 and no zebra pattern there either..
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

Return to “Software & Applications”