Copy an DvD and burn it to a new DvD - How ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jørn Rudolph
Level 4
Level 4

Copy an DvD and burn it to a new DvD - How ?

Post by Jørn Rudolph »

Yes ...

What are the best program to copy a DvD * With a Movie on ...
and burn it on another, new DvD ?

And how do I do it ?

I have not tried, to d it, before ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Greetings From
Jørn Rudolph
Copenhagen * Denmark
* Linux Mint MATE 18 * Sara * 32 Bit
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Copy an DvD and burn it to a new DvD - How ?

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

If the DVD in question contains a commercially produced motion picture, then making a duplicate is a violation of national and international copyright laws.

If the DVD contains data that is not protected by copyright (i.e., private video), you should be able to just copy the file(s) to your computer and burn a new DVD with the software of your choice. If you enter DVD as your search parameter in Software Manager, a large list of available DVD burning software is available. K3b comes highly recommended by many in the Linux community. I have never used it so I cannot speak to it's effectiveness.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I've used Brasero. It is easy to use and has a section called Disc copy.

Some people have had problems with Brasero, but I haven't.

Try setting the write speed to the DVD to 4x.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have used k3b to copy DVDs. As far as I know, k3b is the finest CD/DVD burning program in the known universe. It was made for KDE, but I have installed it on Cinnamon and XFCE too, and I assume it will install on MATE, also.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Jørn Rudolph",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

If you have not installed "ubuntu-restricted-extras", I would recommend doing that.

+1 for "K3b" DVD/CD application and member "jimallyn" comments regarding it. I would also recommend going into the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", searching for "K3b" and installing all recommended and suggested packages. You can select copy DVD and check "to file only" in the options to create an iso image of the disc which can also be played using various multi-media player applications, like VLC, SMplayer, Kaffeine, etc...

And everyone knows that you should not make copies of commercial movie DVD's unless they are for yourself only (no sharing), and even then, apparently some countries are claiming that is illegal. I do not see why backing up your videos that you purchased would be morally or ethically wrong, or illegal. And, creating a digital copy of your movie videos would allow you to use your own multimedia server to play multiple movie videos.

FYI: A lot of newer movie DVD's and Blu-Ray discs already have a built-in feature when played in a computer to create a digital copy, computer movie video file, look in their menus.

*** There are numerous good posts in this forum on this topic, search for "DVD backup", "DVD Copy", "makemkv", etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
minitux

Post by minitux »

for me dvd95

deb for 64 bit
https://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/mai ... _amd64.deb

deb for 32 bit
https://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/mai ... 3_i386.deb

choose the title, audio language, then from properties DVD 4,7GB , remove menu, and make iso, then burn the iso on a 4,7GB Writable DVD with k3b or Brasero or other burning program
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Copying a DVD and circumventing the copy protection are different matters.
While backing up media for personal reasons is allowed, in the US you are not allowed
to defeat the copy-protection encryption to do so--even for personal reasons!
There are many apps that will do this though.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I do believe that you could just DD it to an image file and then burn as many copies as you like to dvd with DD again. Isnt backing up a bought dvd acceptable under law? I dont know. But I guess it depends on the country and law you live in/under.

dd if=/dev/dvd of=dvdimage.img bs=2048

Standard operating procedure here.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Jørn Rudolph
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jørn Rudolph »

Thank you VERY much - All of you. And Have a GOOD Saturday ...
Greetings From
Jørn Rudolph
Copenhagen * Denmark
* Linux Mint MATE 18 * Sara * 32 Bit
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

phd21 wrote:... If you have not installed "ubuntu-restricted-extras", I would recommend doing that. ...
Yes, except that's what you should do in Ubuntu 16.04.

In Mint the package you should install is mint-meta-codecs.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”