[SOLVED] sudo freshclam errored

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] sudo freshclam errored

Post by dquinn618 »

I would like a virus checker on my new Mint Mate 18.2 as clam found 2 Trojan threats on my other laptop running Cinnamon 17.3 Even though maybe those Trojan files attached to flash files might not run on Linux I'm worried I might send somebody an infected file in an email. So I would like to use clam. But the sudo freshclam terminal command is being blocked by something. What can I do about that.

sudo freshclam
[sudo] password for me:
ERROR: /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log is locked by another process
ERROR: Problem with internal logger (UpdateLogFile = /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: sudo freshclam errored

Post by jimallyn »

Mostly what anti virus software will do in Linux is find false positives.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

Thanks for the link. In my quest to get my router working I'm pretty sure I already did inadvertently install some 3rd party software, But the link you posted also describes how undo those.

Do you think I can trust Larry Find's drivers site, and go ahead and use the .deb files in downloads from there?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

dquinn618 wrote: Do you think I can trust Larry Find's drivers site, and go ahead and use the .deb files in downloads from there?
Neverheard ... do not download.

For the original question - purge and reinstall ClamAV.

Code: Select all

apt purge clamav
apt install clamav && sudo freshclam
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

Sorry, is Larry FINGER'S site safe to get drivers from?

Got it, thanks. That link says I do not need clamav and it gets false positives. Still I wonder if it possible I could email a flie that had maleware attatched even if that malware can't run on Linux?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

dquinn618 wrote:Sorry, is Larry FINGER'S site safe to get drivers from?
Difficult to know if you do not provide link to the site.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Who is Larry Finger? Never heard of him. If you need drivers, the best thing to do is look in Driver Manager and install the recommended drivers. If that doesn't work, ASK on the forums what to do. Don't go wandering around the web looking for drivers on some other website, and don't follow instructions you found somewhere else.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

OK, I googled and Larry Finger has a github site for wifi drivers. Apparently some of his work has been or will be incorporated in to the Linux kernel. If you need wifi drivers, best to post in the networking/wireless forums area. If JeremyB says it's OK to use Larry Finger's drivers, then I'd feel pretty comfortable installing them. He's pretty knowledgeable about that sort of thing.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

administrollaattori wrote:
https://github.com/lwfinger
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

dquinn618 wrote:
administrollaattori wrote:
https://github.com/lwfinger
Definitely OK. Larry Finger can be trusted absolutely. I'm very grateful for his efforts to provide us with drivers for the latest Realtek chipsets. :)

How-to for installing his rtlwifi_new driver:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... m-lwfinger
(item 9, right column)

And by the way: don't install antivirus in your Linux desktop. It's not only superfluous, but even *decreases* your security (see the link that jimallyn gave you).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

If Pjotr says Larry Finger is OK, then he's OK. And while we are on the subject, Pjotr is also OK. Wander around his Easy Linux Tips site some time. There is a lot of useful information there.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

At Larry Finger's site he suggests using his lwfinger/rtlwifi_new driver for my rtl8723be wifi adapter instead of the driver he got for it from Realtek. So I downloaded and extracted the driver he suggests but I'm not sure it loaded since I could not find the .deb file. Or if it loaded, it did nothing. Anyway, my question has two parts. First how can I know if it loaded? Next, if it didn't load, how do I do that?

PS: I now see that having no anti-virus software is best on Linux. And thanks for the past and any future help.
Last edited by dquinn618 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madmogone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Madmogone »

Hi all, not to sure if this is ok to post here, but if you want to check whether a file is ok to send to someone and you have a raspberry pi, they do a USB sanitiser malware program (CIRCLean) which is maintained by the government-sponsered Computer Incident Response Centre Luxembourg (CIRCL). (http://circl.lu/projects/CIRCLean) It would mean transferring files around to check, but it might be useful.The Qubes o/s uses something similar so there may be a program out there that can be downloaded for mint, I am going to check into this, hope this has been helpful.Cheers.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Madmogone wrote:Hi all, not to sure if this is ok to post here, but if you want to check whether a file is ok to send to someone and you have a raspberry pi, they do a USB sanitiser malware program (CIRCLean) which is maintained by the government-sponsered Computer Incident Response Centre Luxembourg (CIRCL). (http://circl.lu/projects/CIRCLean) It would mean transferring files around to check, but it might be useful.The Qubes o/s uses something similar so there may be a program out there that can be downloaded for mint, I am going to check into this, hope this has been helpful.Cheers.
I find virustotal.com very handy for such matters:
https://www.virustotal.com
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

dquinn618 wrote:First how can I know if it loaded? Next, if it didn't load, how do I do that?
It didn't load. What you downloaded is source code and is not executable until it is compiled. Ordinarily to compile a program, you would open a terminal, use the cd command to navigate to the folder where the archive was extracted, then issue the following commands, one at a time:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install checkinstall
./configure
make
sudo checkinstall

The first two commands only have to be issued the first time you compile software from source; the last three must be issued every time you compile software from source. Most sites that tell you how to compile source code will give sudo make install as the last command. The problem with this is that it is then nearly impossible to uninstall that software. Using checkinstall instead builds a .deb package and installs that, so that if you ever need to uninstall the software, it can be easily done from Software Manager or Synaptic.

This post has instructions for installing software from the various package forms it may be delivered in:

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=97158
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

This is the link:
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new

Please tell me in steps what to do to load it.

I am not a computer scientist. I'm simply trying to use Linux.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

dquinn618 wrote:This is the link:
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new

Please tell me in steps what to do to load it.

I am not a computer scientist. I'm simply trying to use Linux.
Here you are:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... m-lwfinger
(item 9, right column)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "dquinn618",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Regarding anti-virus and anti-malware

+1 - Nobody using Linux Mint needs an anti-virus or anti-malware package installed, and it is not recommended, unless you are frequently exchanging files with MS Windows or Mac users, or downloading a lot of stuff. You can use the "VirusTotal" website to check files too.

The ClamAV Freshclam is installed as a "service" that is running in the background which appears to check for updates every hour (on my system). Make sure whenever you use ClamAV or ClamTK the "scan for PUAs" in its settings is off because this returns "false positives".

To check "clamav and freshclam", open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one.
Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo service clamav-freshclam stop

sudo freshclam

sudo service clamav-freshclam start
or check their log

cat /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log
phd21 from my system's freshclam.log today wrote:Wed Dec 6 11:38:02 2017 -> ClamAV update process started at Wed Dec 6 11:38:02 2017
Wed Dec 6 11:38:02 2017 -> main.cvd is up to date (version: 58, sigs: 4566249, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
Wed Dec 6 11:38:02 2017 -> daily.cld is up to date (version: 24105, sigs: 1798214, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
Wed Dec 6 11:38:02 2017 -> bytecode.cld is up to date (version: 318, sigs: 75, f-level: 63, builder: raynman)
Wed Dec 6 11:38:13 2017 -> --------------------------------------
Wed Dec 6 11:38:13 2017 -> freshclam daemon 0.99.2 (OS: linux-gnu, ARCH: x86_64, CPU: x86_64)
Wed Dec 6 11:38:13 2017 -> ClamAV update process started at Wed Dec 6 11:38:13 2017
Wed Dec 6 11:38:13 2017 -> main.cvd is up to date (version: 58, sigs: 4566249, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
Wed Dec 6 11:38:13 2017 -> daily.cld is up to date (version: 24105, sigs: 1798214, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
Wed Dec 6 11:38:13 2017 -> bytecode.cld is up to date (version: 318, sigs: 75, f-level: 63, builder: raynman)
Wed Dec 6 11:38:13 2017 -> --------------------------------------

Another post with good information
Need for an antivirus.?
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=238726&hilit=maldetect

ERROR: /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log is locked by another process? - Ask Ubuntu
https://askubuntu.com/questions/909273/ ... er-process

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

I had done exactly what that link said, ref. a few posts back. But I did it again anyway. These are the results:

me@me-HP-Notebook ~ $ sudo apt-get install git build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
[sudo] password for me:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version (12.1ubuntu2).
git is already the newest version (1:2.7.4-0ubuntu1.3).
linux-headers-4.10.0-40-generic is already the newest version (4.10.0-40.44~16.04.1).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
linux-headers-4.4.0-98 linux-headers-4.4.0-98-generic
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
me@me-HP-Notebook ~ $ git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
fatal: destination path 'rtlwifi_new' already exists and is not an empty directory.
me@me-HP-Notebook ~ $ git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
fatal: destination path 'rtlwifi_new' already exists and is not an empty directory.
me@me-HP-Notebook ~ $ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
me@me-HP-Notebook ~ $
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

I believe that link was just for changing the chip-sets of the adapter not installing the driver, or whatever it is I downloaded. I thought that installing instructions was what I asked for.

Return to “Software & Applications”