Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
davidmedin
Level 2
Level 2

Developer edition of FireFox

Post by davidmedin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:09 am

I want to install the Developer edition ... not available in the software repo and the direct download of Firefox 58 Dev for Linux is literally just a compressed folder lol!

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Re: The New FireFox for Linux

Post by Flemur » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:25 am

davidmedin wrote:I want to install the Developer edition
FF 59.0a1 looks a lot like FF 57.
... not available in the software repo and the direct download of Firefox 58 Dev for Linux is literally just a compressed folder lol!
Why is that funny? It's an extremely easy way to use a non-standard program.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Developer edition of FireFox

Post by Moem » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:28 am

Mod note:
Split off from a different topic. Please don't ask unrelated questions in other people's support topics.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

davidmedin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: The New FireFox for Linux

Post by davidmedin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:30 am

Flemur wrote:
davidmedin wrote:I want to install the Developer edition
FF 59.0a1 looks a lot like FF 57.
... not available in the software repo and the direct download of Firefox 58 Dev for Linux is literally just a compressed folder lol!
Why is that funny? It's an extremely easy way to use a non-standard program.

Hmm not it's not for me. I expect an installer not a copy-and-paste hack.

trytip
Level 7
Level 7

Post by trytip » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:39 am

lol, Image does the compressed folder have something called "firefox" and if so have you done a simple double click on that? Image

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:16 pm

davidmedin wrote:... the direct download of Firefox 58 Dev for Linux is literally just a compressed folder lol!
That statement screams one thing to me. You shouldn't install a beta or dev version of anything, period. They're intended for those who know what they're doing. Period.

davidmedin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidmedin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
davidmedin wrote:... the direct download of Firefox 58 Dev for Linux is literally just a compressed folder lol!
That statement screams one thing to me. You shouldn't install a beta or dev version of anything, period. They're intended for those who know what they're doing. Period.

No, this is just your attitude as a Linux person I guess. (I.e., arrogant and unhelpful)

If Linux Mint is intended to be for a general audience and this is as 'friendly' as it gets, no wonder Linux on the desktop has maxed out at 1% market share.

davidmedin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidmedin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Here's an example of how software is distributed professionally using installers. Obviously not the Linux way - it would be too easy to do it like that.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:17 pm

davidmedin wrote:If Linux Mint is intended to be for a general audience
It is. But the developer version of Firefox, or anything, is not.
davidmedin wrote:and this is as 'friendly' as it gets
It isn't. We're just like people here: all different. I don't always agree with Hoser Rob's attitude, but to be quite honest yours doesn't seem all that great either.
Up to you, as always, but I doubt it'll get you great results.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

trytip
Level 7
Level 7

Post by trytip » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:28 pm

even in widnows there are many dev apps like the ADB for Android that require you to use the admin command prompt and is not an installation but a copy and paste hack. and to be honest the developers of firefox use this method to easily upstream to the next version the following night.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:52 am

The developer edition is a beta software - for people, who know, what they are doing. This includes, how to use it.
Fact is, that Mozilla does not provide DEB files. Blaming Linux about that would be like blaming a user, that he does not provide any kind of software.

And seriously: Somebody, who believes himself to be able to handle a developer build, is also expected to find e. g. this in the web: How to install the developer edition?

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Flemur » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:18 am

davidmedin wrote:Here's an example of how software is distributed professionally using installers. Obviously not the Linux way - it would be too easy to do it like that.
That's exactly the same page for downloading the Linux version - try it!
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

davidmedin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidmedin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:58 am

Cosmo. wrote:The developer edition is a beta software - for people, who know, what they are doing. This includes, how to use it.
Fact is, that Mozilla does not provide DEB files. Blaming Linux about that would be like blaming a user, that he does not provide any kind of software.

And seriously: Somebody, who believes himself to be able to handle a developer build, is also expected to find e. g. this in the web: How to install the developer edition?

I've been de-authorised from reading the Developer forum on Linux Mint. Seriously. I'm just not considered worthy enough. :D

What I'm atually doing here is highlighting the elitist, arrogant and unhelpful nature of this 'community' and I hope others who are tempted to join this community will see how it treats 'outsiders' and think twice.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:12 pm

davidmedin wrote:What I'm atually doing here is highlighting the elitist, arrogant and unhelpful nature of this 'community'
You don't say. Are you also going to say it's all a social experiment? :lol:

Honestly, a lot of people get friendly and helpful answers here. It's true here, as in many other places, that you get back what you put in. And yet we even often manage to talk people down from 'this OS is poopy and you're all poopyheads and I'm going back to Windows! So there!' to 'Oh wait, that actually worked... hmm, it all looks a lot easier now that my underlying issue was found and solved'.
We did it before, we'll do it again and we can even help you. But only if you want to be helped. And you mainly seem to want to prove that we're all arrogant and self-important and looking down on you. Well, if that's how you feel, that's how you feel. But if that's what you put in, what are you going to get back?

Anyway, you've nevertheless been led to water; the drinking is on you. Maybe you've not been treated with the kid gloves you expected, but help has been given. I'm going to lock the thread, bcause I don't think anything good will be happening in here anymore.

Return to “Software & Applications”