Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
hgw+3
Level 1
Level 1

Latest Version of Skype

Post by hgw+3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:51 pm

Latest Skype for Linux. It is totally useless. I have lost my main contact list. It only shows a list of recent calls or Skype contacts and will not delete all at once. I have to delete each one separately. I cannot delete unwanted contacts at all or find any phone numbers. Cannot even delete blocked contacts. Checking Mic and Speakers is inadequate. The whole presentation is very poor. Fortunately my Windows version still has all the lost information.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Latest Version of Skype

Post by Moem » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:54 pm

No questions? Okay then. :roll:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

hgw+3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hgw+3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:01 pm

The question is, is Microsoft playing some sort of joke at the expense of Linux users? I am now forced to use Windows when I use Skype...no option..

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:04 pm

If that is honestly what you want to know, you're asking it at the wrong forum. Since this is not a Support question, I'll move it to Chat.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

hgw+3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hgw+3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:09 pm

I want to know why the latest version did not download my full contact list and is there is a way to get it back. It still exists in entirety in the Windows version. Maybe the chat group will be more appropriate .

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Now we're getting somewhere! That is a good question indeed. I hope someone can help you.

bumbum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bumbum » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:39 pm

OK so this seems to me MicroFAIL at it's very best here. I too had this issue. I upgraded to the latest edition and logged in with my email address. It welcomed me and offered to take me on a tour of all the new features etc. however all my contacts were gone and apparently irretrievable! I was having the same problem on my Android phone too. After stressing our and a little searching around I found this:

Type in your email address here: https://a.login.skype.com/diagnostics
It'll give you your correct user name (in case you didn't already know)
Log in to Skype with the username (NOT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS) and hey presto, your full contact list is there.
Hope this helps..

lisapisa2
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Latest Version of Skype - CONTACTS

Post by lisapisa2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:36 pm

The latest version of Skype is completely buggy and barely usable. I have had huge problems with it but did resolve the contacts issue. I assume that most people are looki9ng under contacts and selecting ALL and getting no results except for other Skype users.You will find your contacts under CALL. I have no idea why they did this. The package looks rushed and slapped together.

lmuserx4849

Re: Latest Version of Skype - CONTACTS

Post by lmuserx4849 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:25 pm

lisapisa2 wrote:The latest version of Skype is completely buggy and barely usable. I have had huge problems with it but did resolve the contacts issue. I assume that most people are looki9ng under contacts and selecting ALL and getting no results except for other Skype users.You will find your contacts under CALL. I have no idea why they did this. The package looks rushed and slapped together.
What do you mean when you say "latest version"?

I am running: Help -> About Skype -> 8.11.04
It is a much improvement over their first shot at it.
It has issues. But they appear to be listening. Give them productive feedback.
They have a FAQ and they have a support forum. Check: https://support.skype.com/en/skype/linux/.
Their linux forum is very active.

Other links.
Status of their service: https://support.skype.com/en/status/
Release notes: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA3477 ... -and-linux

This looks like the contact issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/sky ... da0bb2c075, but no replies yet. I would NEVER use a beta skype. One should not be surprised by bugs in a beta version of anything.

It is tedious to delete conversations, and the whole Discover thing I strongly dislike. I provided MS feedback on both those issues.

Return to “Software & Applications”