Search options in Nemo, is it broken or what?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MRK0017
Level 1
Level 1

Search options in Nemo, is it broken or what?

Post by MRK0017 »

I needed to search for files of a specific size, and I remember that by clicking on the + while searching on Nemo all kinds of options popped up, but it seems that either my memory is playing tricks on me or the search options are totally broken on my system. Look at this screenshots, if I click on the "File Type" menu, literally nothing happens, while on "any" I can pick from different file types. But there are no other options whatsoever to refine my search. Even if I click the + button more times, it just adds another line with File Type and Any.

What's going on here? Using 18.3 Cinnamon by the way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Search options in Nemo, is it broken or what?

Post by Moem »

Hmm, I can reproduce that. 'File type' looks like it should be a drop down list, and in a way it is, but there is only one entry in that list: 'File type'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
NChewie

Post by NChewie »

Same thing happens in 17.3 Cinnamon 64bit Nemo 2.8.7

You get a lot of options in gnome-search-tool - which is what I use and have added to my panel (bottom left quick links).
It has the added feature of showing the "Date-Modified" in the results list, without having to display it by 'right-click a column and select' like Nemo.
MRK0017
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MRK0017 »

So are you confirming that as of right now there are literally no search options in nemo other than those?

But now I'm curious, is it a bug with the new version or they were not there even on 18.2? Because I clearly remember there being more options on 18.2 or 18.1. Unfortunately I can't find much info online and I can't download & boot an older version right now to check.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I can't speak to the quality of the search tools in Nemo because I've hardly used them at all; pretty much as soon as I started using Mint, I installed Catfish and I haven't looked back since. Maybe that says something about the quality of the search tools in Nemo, after all. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MRK0017
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MRK0017 »

Moem wrote:I can't speak to the quality of the search tools in Nemo because I've hardly used them at all; pretty much as soon as I started using Mint, I installed Catfish and I haven't looked back since. Maybe that says something about the quality of the search tools in Nemo, after all. :wink:
I tried Catfish and is good and all but this thing about the file search in Nemo is bothering me. Is the search options only displaying "file type" a bug? Is it the same on a clean install?

Also I would avoid using third party apps to do things that should be available on the base OS.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I've tried this and get the same result with LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit (current install) and LM18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit (in a virtual machine). Clicking on "File Type" toggles the visibility of the ▾ on the button with no other evident effect.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

MRK0017 wrote: But there are no other options whatsoever to refine my search.
You can sort by column header in combination with File Type, not what you want but maybe good enough?

Return to “Software & Applications”