Trying to figure out which applications to install (and how)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to figure out which applications to install (and how)

Post by mazerunner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Under MS Windows I have always had at least three different web browsers and used them all simultaneously.

I'd like to have the same here.

I installed FireFox and Chromium. Then Midori but that one seemed to be very buggy. It wouldn't handle properly gmail.com and bascamp and I had to uninstall it.

I searched in the software manager but didn't find no Opera.

Any suggestions as to which additional browser I should install?

Last edited by mazerunner on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Trying to figure out which applications to install

Post by Pjotr » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Firefox is present by default and Chromium can be installed from the official repo's. You can get Google Chrome here:
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/d ... index.html

First download the .deb installer. Then just double-click the .deb installer file as if it were a .exe installer for Windows. It'll install Chrome for you and also add the Chrome repo to your sources list, so that you'll get updates for it.

Opera you can get here:
http://www.opera.com

Same procedure as for Chrome.
Last edited by Pjotr on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Firefox is pre-installed. Why and how did you install it?

Since you seem to be a newcomer (welcome!) I suggest that you stick to Firefox and Chromium for now; there are plenty of other browsers, but they can't be installed through the Software Manager, which is the recommended way for new users to install software. So wait a bit until you feel more at home.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:01 pm

Opera is available from their website, and is no longer available through the package manager. I mostly use Firefox, and use Chromium as my second browser. Beyond that, I use Midori (a bit lighter than most browsers). But I have about a dozen browsers installed in all. You might try Brave, Vivaldi, Otter, Konqueror, NetSurf, Dillo, Slimjet, Epiphany, Maxthon, or Pale Moon. That's the list of browsers I have tried. There is a big list of browsers here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

eu2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eu2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:03 pm

Just adding to the previous comment above the last.

It's not just newcomers that applies to as stable is often better than rolling a dice.
Installing opera is pretty safe though.

You can do all kinds of crazy things with linux, but it's a completely different mindset from using windows/mac.

If you are very new to Linux then you are going to break everything just to see what happens.

Just make sure you back up anything important and you too can live the dream.

Kind of guessing most of us here are doing that and many have the t-shirt to prove it.

Welcome.

e2.

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:26 pm

hi folks...jimallyn...you mentioned that opera is not in software manager?...i popped it up just by typing opera in the software manager search box with no problem so it does show in my LM 18.3 cinnamon...should mention i did upgrade, not new clean install and had previously put opera in as my backup browser with "forward" clicked during original download so it would be updated through update manager...DAMIEN

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:06 pm

If you find Opera in Software Manager or Synaptic, it is an old version, 12 point something. The most recent version is, I don't know, maybe 50 something? And you have to download that from the Opera website. Some people, myself included, prefer the user interface of Opera 12. But it's old, and there are likely security vulnerabilities in it.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

eu2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eu2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Opera is not in the software manager unless it was carried over from a ppa or a manual install.

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:55 pm

hi jimallyn and eu2...you have both clarified perfectly and together the right answer...eu2 stated opera would only be there because of a manual download from their websight with, (im assuming) clicking forward to have updates through update manager along with the fact i did "upgrade" and not clean install to 18.3 so that of course carried over my existing system and settings...and jimallyn im sure is correct when you stated it would probably only show an older version in the repositories as a result of LM always being conservative in not always having the latest version of various softwares which is the LM way of adding certain applications to its repository always erring on the side of caution...thank you both, first off for the original poster of this thread and for myself as i now know that mint is using the more conservative approach in its software manager even though i have the latest version of opera....DAMIEN

eu2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eu2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:51 pm

DAMIEN1307,
I have to thank you for that as tbh I didn't realise that the Opera browser was still a thing.

Apparently it lives on.

I know Jimallyn has a soft spot for it.

Anyway:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... eb_browser

So just another chrome/web gtk rip off....

Pretty much the same as every other browser.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:...and jimallyn im sure is correct when you stated it would probably only show an older version in the repositories as a result of LM always being conservative in not always having the latest version of various softwares
In this particular case, I'm not sure it has anything to do with Mint policy. They made some drastic changes to the browser a few years ago. It used to be all their own code, but now they use something else as a base. I forget what, maybe Chromium. It hasn't been in Software Manager or Synaptic since then.

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:18 am

Moem wrote:Firefox is pre-installed. Why and how did you install it?
That was a slip of the tongue. I meant that I have both ff and chromium in use.
Pjotr wrote:Firefox is present by default and Chromium can be installed from the official repo's. You can get Google Chrome here:
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/d ... index.html

First download the .deb installer. Then just double-click the .deb installer file as if it were a .exe installer for Windows. It'll install Chrome for you and also add the Chrome repo to your sources list, so that you'll get updates for it.

Opera you can get here:
http://www.opera.com

Same procedure as for Chrome.
That worked like a charm. Even easier than with Windows! thanks! :)

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Scratch 2

Post by mazerunner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:00 am

ah. who put that "solved" in the title? I meant to ask more, and that's why I gave that general title, so that I won't need to open multiple threads.

Is it alright to continue here? :)

I'm trying to install Scratch 2 following the instructions found here: Installing the Scratch 2.0 Editor on Linux Mint 17 which, I take it, must be very close, if not identical, for my Linux Mint 18.3 “Sylvia”.

I follow instructions and get no errors back until I try to execute Adobe Air with:
sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

then I get the error : sudo: unable to execute ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin: No such file or directory

The file is there, though. It appears in the listing and it seems executable:
-rwxrwxr-x 1 16127348 Ιούν 9 2011 AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

Anybody know what am I doing wrong here?

btw. why is there only the very old version of Scratch available in the Software Manager and not Scratch 2?

thanks

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Installing Scratch 2

Post by Moem » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:10 am

mazerunner wrote:ah. who put that "solved" in the title? I meant to ask more, and that's why I gave that general title, so that I won't need to open multiple threads.

Is it alright to continue here? :)
I did, as you can see from the edit summary directly below the first post. Feel free to edit the title to remove it; you can edit your posts at any time. It's fine to continue here; starting a new thread, or several, would also be fine.
There is nothing wrong with posting multiple threads if you have multiple questions, in fact that is often the best way to keep things organised around here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Trying to figure out which applications to install (and how)

Post by mazerunner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks, Moem. I re-edited the title. I think I'll keep it here, for the time being. :)

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to install some app called "Lingua"

Post by mazerunner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:35 am

Next to my Q about how to install Scratch 2 (see two post earlier), here's yet another one.

I would very much like to install and use this application, here.

I follow the instructions, which I know they are not mint specific, but when I give make I get an error:
make: ant: Command not found
Makefile:25: recipe for target 'all' failed

Apparently that ant command in MakeFile is not recognized.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

thanks

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi "mazerunner",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
mazerunner wrote:Under MS Windows I have always had at least three different web browsers and used them all simultaneously.
Well anyone can install multiple browsers and run them at the same time, if your computer has enough system memory and processing power. But, I have to ask why would you do that? If you tell us why you are doing that perhaps we can provide an alternative procedure.

+1 for installing the newer Opera browser. I think Opera and Slimjet are fast and lighter on system resources than most other browsers with some really nice features too.
mazerunner wrote:I'm trying to install Scratch 2 following the instructions found here: Installing the Scratch 2.0 Editor on Linux Mint 17 which, I take it, must be very close, if not identical, for my Linux Mint 18.3 “Sylvia”.
From what I can tell this is a graphical programming environment for children which adults can use too.

Scratch2.0 offline editor install in Ubuntu 16.10/16.04/14.04/12.04/Linux Mint
https://jininote.wordpress.com/2016/10/ ... allubuntu/

How to install Scratch 2 on Ubuntu 16.10. or 17.04 (64bit)? see checked answer
https://askubuntu.com/questions/913892/ ... 912#913912

Dump Scratch — Use Blockly or Snap! instead, July 12, 2016
http://www.ocsmag.com/2016/07/12/dump-s ... p-instead/

Snap! is a drag and drop programming environment
https://www.finchrobot.com/software/sna ... stallation

Alternatives to Scratch for Linux
https://alternativeto.net/software/scra ... form=linux
mazerunner wrote:I would very much like to install and use "Lingua", Lingua - Integrated Development Environment for LANGUAGE.
cyberpython / lingua wrote: https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... ObdvTyuKjg
Installation
The following applications and libraries are needed to compile the application (dependencies):

(Java) OpenJDK JDK ≥6u10
Ant
Antlr3
JOptSimple
Java-Gnome (libjava-gnome-java & libjava-gnome-jni) ≥4.1.2

First we need to install the interpreter:

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/599926/releases/glossa-interpreter-1.0.8.tar.gz

tar -xvf glossa-interpreter-1.0.8.tar.gz

cd glossa-interpreter-1.0.8

make

sudo make install
Then we install the application by executing the following commands at a terminal:

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/599926/releases/lingua-0.0.6.tar.gz

tar -xvf lingua-0.0.6.tar.gz

cd lingua-0.0.6

make

sudo make install

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Dear phd21,
Thanks for your kind reply. Let's see:

Scratch 2

The instructions didn't work for me.
First of all the instructions here seem incomplete as, for example, wget omits the url part.

So, I followed the instructions here, and this command:
sudo dpkg -i adobe-air_amd64.deb
returns and error:
error processing package adobeair (--install):
and then something like "dependence error - it's left unset" (I translate from Greek).

This here seems intimidating but I suppose I should try it out tomorrow.

Lingua
When I give:
wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/599926/releases/glossa-interpreter-1.0.8.tar.gz

I get and error. Something like "HTTP request sent, waiting for answer... 404 Not Found:
Η αίτηση για HTTP στάλθηκε, αναμονή απάντησης... 404 Not Found
2017-12-04 22:54:55 ΣΦΑΛΜΑ 404: Not Found.

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Schultz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:25 pm

For your browser query I suggest Pale Moon and Basilisk. The Pale Moon team has an installer tool you can use to install Pale Moon. For Basilisk, just download the tarball, extract the folder, and then you can run it by clicking the basilisk file inside of the folder. You can also manually install it so you can get a start menu entry for it if you like. Pale Moon and Basilisk are made by the same dev(s).

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi "mazerunner",

Easy Install for Scratch v2.0 and AdobeAIR

Okay, I paraphrased the previous instructions for installing Scratch 2.0 from one of the web links because I could tell their instructions were not separated by each command properly.

But, there is a much easier method to install AdobeAir and Scratch v2.0, right from the Scratch website.

Scratch website - download links
https://scratch.mit.edu/download

Step 1.) Download AdobeAir - click the link "download" next to Linux to save the file "AdobeAIRInstaller.bin"

Step 2.) Download the Scratch 2.0 AdobeAir file - click the link "download" next to Linux to save the file "Scratch-458.0.1.air".

Step 3.) Bring up your file manager and right click the "AdobeAIRInstaller.bin" file, make sure you can run it, click properties, permissions tab, check allow execute or executable, click apply, ok. Then Double click the file to install AdobeAIR. I already had this installed for use with ADE (Adobe Digital Editions).

Step 4.) Look for Adobe Air application installer in your menus and click it to launch it, when it comes up, browse to the "Scratch-458.0.1.air" file, click ok. It took a long time on my ancient computer while it was doing something, then asked if I wanted a menu and desktop shortcuts (yes), before it asked for my password, then it took some more time before it brought up Scratch v2.0. Once it is installed, it comes up quickly.
phd21 wrote:Don't forget to check out the other Scratch type applications too ( Blockly or Snap!, etc...). Look in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for "children" and there are other options as well, Junior-programming (Logo language, LittleWizard), Kturtle, etc... LittleWizard and Kturtle look interesting ...

Hope this helps ...
Scratch2-1.jpg
Scratch v2.0 - Download page
Scratch2-2.jpg
Scratch v2.0 - running on my Linux Mint KDE 18.2 system
Junior_programming1.jpg
"Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)"
-junior-programming
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Software & Applications”