Trying to figure out which applications to install (and how)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Trying to figure out which applications to install (and how)

Post by phd21 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:24 am

Hi "mazerunner",

Well, I figured out how to install Lingua as well. I forgot to install "Glossa-Interpreter" first, so I could not compile "Lingua". Once I installed that, I was able to compile install and run "Lingua", see screenshot below.

How to install "Lingua".

To build the project’s code you will need : I installed these through the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)"

Java 8 should be installed already JDK (6.x+). You can install it on Ubuntu with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk
Apache Ant (built-in in Netbeans). You can install it on Ubuntu with:

sudo apt-get install ant
Antlr 3.2 (*)

sudo apt-get install antlr3
JOpt Simple (*)

sudo apt-get install libjoptsimple-java
Java-Gnome (libjava-gnome-java & libjava-gnome-jni

sudo apt-get install libjava-gnome-java  libjava-gnome-jni

Install the "glossa-interpreter". Click link below, click "clone or download" button in upper right, click download zip, save the file "glossa-interpreter-master.zip".
https://github.com/cyberpython/glossa-interpreter

Bring up your file manager, browse to this file, right click this file and select extract here, which creates a "glossa-interpreter-master" folder, get into that folder, right click in the whitespace and select Actions, Open terminal here. In the console terminal window, type in each line below one at a time.

make

sudo make install
Close this terminal window.

Install the lingua IDE. Click link below, click "clone or download" button in upper right, click download zip, save the file "lingua-master.zip".
https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... ObdvTyuKjg

Bring up your file manager, browse to this file, right click this file and select extract here, which creates a "lingua-master" folder, get into that folder, right click in the whitespace and select Actions, Open terminal here. In the console terminal window, type in each line below one at a time.

make

sudo make install
Close this terminal window.

This application showed up in my "Education" -> "Miscellaneous" menu?

Is there an option for English in this application, because this application is all Greek too me (pardon the pun, no offense intended)?

Hope this helps ...
Lingua_ide_1.jpg
Lingua ide menu
Lingua_ide_2.jpg
Lingua ide
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:02 am

phd21 wrote:Well, I figured out how to install Lingua as well. I forgot to install "Glossa-Interpreter" first, so I could not compile "Lingua". Once I installed that, I was able to compile install and run "Lingua", see screenshot below.
Eventhough Glossa and Lingua handle the same thing, they are not connected to each other. You don't need to install on to make the other one work.

btw I managed to install Glossa with some help by its creator.

Now, when I try to follow your instructions I can't even complete step one:
phd21 wrote:To build the project’s code you will need : I installed these through the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)"

Java 8 should be installed already JDK (6.x+). You can install it on Ubuntu with:

I have Linux Mint "Sylvia". I tried to run your command but I get some kind of error, about "dependencies":
Ανάγνωση Λιστών Πακέτων... Ολοκληρώθηκε
Κατασκευή Δένδρου Εξαρτήσεων
Ανάγνωση περιγραφής της τρέχουσας κατάσταση... Ολοκληρώθηκε
Aν τρέξετε 'apt-get -f install' ίσως να διορθώσετε αυτά τα προβλήματα:
Τα ακόλουθα πακέτα έχουν ανεπίλυτες εξαρτήσεις:
adobeair : Εξαρτάται από: libbz2-1.0:i386
Εξαρτάται από: libgtk2.0-0:i386 (>= 2.6)
Εξαρτάται από: libnss3:i386
Εξαρτάται από: libxaw7:i386
Εξαρτάται από: libxslt1.1:i386
openjdk-8-jdk : Εξαρτάται από: openjdk-8-jdk-headless (= 8u151-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.2) αλλά δεν πρόκειται να εγκατασταθεί
E: Ανεπίλυτες εξαρτήσεις. Δοκιμάστε 'apt-get -f install' χωρίς να ορίσετε πακέτο (ή καθορίστε μια λύση).

it says that openjdk-8-jdk depends on openjdk-8-jdk-headless (= 8u151-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.2) but it will not be installed.

:/
Last edited by mazerunner on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Post by all41 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:10 am

Schultz wrote:For Basilisk, just download the tarball, extract the folder, and then you can run it by clicking the basilisk file inside of the folder.
Hey Schultz--this is how I run Palemoon -even when using firejail.
No install.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:20 am

all41 wrote:
Schultz wrote:For Basilisk, just download the tarball, extract the folder, and then you can run it by clicking the basilisk file inside of the folder.
No install.
And this is how I 'installed' Waterfox. I made a nice launcher on the menu and it works fine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Post by all41 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:26 am

Moem wrote:
all41 wrote:
No install.
And this is how I 'installed' Waterfox. I made a nice launcher on the menu and it works fine.
That's a new one on me--but I will check it out.
Got a good dl link?
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:33 am

all41 wrote:
Moem wrote: And this is how I 'installed' Waterfox. I made a nice launcher on the menu and it works fine.
That's a new one on me--but I will check it out.
Got a good dl link?
Sure thing! Here you go. https://www.waterfoxproject.org/ It's my new best friend. I tried but could not get to grips with the new FF, and this just ticks all my boxes.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Faust
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Faust » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:54 am

Many of the " minority " browsers have a heck of a lot to offer the user .

All of the functionality available from the Big Name browsers
- minus the bloat
- minus the " All things to All people " mentality .

Personal faves are Slimjet , and Cyberfox ....
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:54 am

I tried to install Slimjet, for example, but I think that for the time I cannot proceed with anything because there is a "dependency" problem, most probably with adobeair

Is there a way to solve this?

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:55 am

Hi "mazerunner",

Slimjet - click the linux "deb" file link below for your system, save the file, and double click that file to install it.
https://www.slimjet.com/en/dlpage.php

Re: "Lingua"
Just telling you how I managed to get this installed, and as you can see from my screenshots, it is installed and working. I could not get "Lingua" to compile (make) even with all the other dependencies installed without installing "Glossa-Interpreter" first.

Open Source Java 8 is probably already installed in your Linux Mint system, see command below to check that. Otherwise, go into the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and look for "openjdk-8-jdk" and install it that way, or use my instructions below ...

java -version
Because there are a lot of really good to great Java applications that use either Open Source Java or Oracle's Java, I use 2 main different PPA's to install and update Java packages: Oracle's Java and Open Source Java ...

Oracle Java and Open Java installation

Install new Oracle Java 9 In Ubuntu, Linux Mint
http://www.webupd8.org/2015/02/install- ... linux.html

Install new Oracle Java 8 In Ubuntu, Linux Mint
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/install- ... a-ppa.html

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
[/color]

For Java9

sudo apt-get install oracle-java9-installer
[/color]

VIP: Switching between Oracle Java 8 and Java 9
Later on, if you want to switch Oracle Java 9, use the following command (make sure "oracle-java9-installer" package is installed):

sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-9-oracle
[/color]

And, switch back to Oracle Java 8 using:

sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-8-oracle
[/color]

If you get some warnings when running these two commands, ignore them.

VIP: Setting Java environment variables
To automatically set up the Java 8 environment variables, you can install the following package:
sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-set-default
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OpenJDK Java 8 has been made into official Ubuntu repositories for 14.10 Utopic and higher.
For Linux Mint users heres how to install it from PPA.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... 12-04-lts/

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openjdk-r/ppa

sudo apt-get update 

[/color]

VIP: If you have more than one Java versions installed on your system. Run the command below to set the default Java: (I usually set the default to Java 8 )

sudo update-alternatives --config java
[/color]

Type in a number to select a Java version.
And set default Java Compiler by running:

sudo update-alternatives --config javac
[/color]

4. Finally check out current Java version by running:

java -version
It outputs something like this: (1.8 = Java 8 )

openjdk version "1.8.0_01-internal"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_01-internal-b04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b08, mixed mode)

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:06 pm

before anything, just allow me to say that I think I managed to remove adobeair and install Slimjet :)

Now I will proceed with studying your post.

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi "mazerunner",

I love Firefox, but I also like to have more than one browser installed. I really like the "Slimjet" browser because it has some really nice "cool" features and runs all the Chrome Extensions (add-ons) and Chrome applications (apps). I also have Opera, Chrome, Brave, SeaMonkey, Tor Browser Bundle, etc... installed. A word of caution, the Firefox browser and related browsers like SeaMonkey, Waterfox, the Tor Browser Bundle, etc... might conflict with one another, if you try to run them at the same time; same thing applies with Chrome and Chromium related browsers like running Chrome and Slimjet at the same time, etc...

I had AdobeAIR installed when I installed Slimjet, and it did not interfere. Are you saying that you could not install Slimjet with AdobeAIR installed? What dependency errors did you get? You can always install AdobeAIR after installing Slimjet because you will need it for Scratch 2.

Keep us posted on your progress.

cybertosis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cybertosis » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Slimjet 32 bit version downloaded but wouldn't install on my laptop with Linux Mint 17.3 32 bit o.s.

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:02 am

(@phd21, I read your informative posts but then got caught up with other stuff, like trying to make my mic work. I'll get back to your instructions. thanks :) )

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:37 am

Hi "cybertosis",
cybertosis wrote:Slimjet 32 bit version downloaded but wouldn't install on my laptop with Linux Mint 17.3 32 bit o.s.
I installed the "Slimjet" browser on a 32-bit computer in both Linux Mint KDE 17.3 and 18.2, and it worked well. As far as I know, this is the only Chrome based browser available for 32-bit computers.

FYI: Sometimes when installing software from a "deb" file, when it says it is finished, it is good to wait about 20 seconds before closing the installer window. Then, run the commands below from a console terminal prompt one at a time to make sure it finished properly. I also had to do this with Google Chrome and other Google applications, and other applications too. It is safe to do at any time. If you still have a problem, you can also re-install the deb file again (double click it again), then do the commands below.

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get install -f
[/color]

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Software & Applications”