Replacement RSS Reader for RSSOwl?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Doranwen
Level 3
Level 3

Replacement RSS Reader for RSSOwl?

Post by Doranwen »

So I'm running Mint 18.1 Mate 64-bit (haven't gotten around to upgrading to 18.2 yet). I've been using RSSOwl for years - on Windows and then on Mint when I switched five years ago. I still love using it, but mine's buggy as all get-out (randomly crashing a lot now when it didn't use to), and I'd like to start fresh - but I'd like to have another client to transition to slowly rather than wholesale fresh start, due to the complexity involved. (I've considered copying all the feeds down and starting a fresh database of RSSOwl to see if that helps, but I have too many old items I'd like to get to - when I don't have to use it for new items and can turn off the updating.) I've tried a few clients in the Software Manager but found them low on features and not really suitable, and wondered if anyone here knew of one that would work.

These are the two main features I would need it to have:

- The ability to handle upwards of 200 feeds with thousands of unread items in them without crashing. I had over 300 recently, but have been paring it back some.
- The ability to search within feeds, not just a single feed, but a broad search; for instance, if I wanted to see every feed that referred to a specific country somehow, I could put that country in as the keyword so when I click on that filter, it would display only the items that contained that country's name, from the feeds I set it to search (not just global search of every feed in the client). This is the feature I use the most of RSSOwl (called in that program "saved searches"), but both readers I've tried from the software manager did not have it, as far as I could see.

Obviously I use folders and whatnot, and having it be a desktop program (not web-based! nor cli) with an internal browser for viewing the content is a basic requirement for me. If you've got any ideas on what I can try that will handle that, let me know!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Replacement RSS Reader for RSSOwl?

Post by xenopeek »

Doranwen wrote:I've tried a few clients in the Software Manager but found them low on features and not really suitable
Let's start by you naming every RSS reader that you've already tried, to avoid wasting others' time.

A list of RSS reading programs for Linux can be found here (sort on the Linux column by clicking on the up/down arrow icon): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... em_support
Doranwen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Doranwen »

I tried both Akregator and QuiteRSS - neither had the saved search capability. From what I can see (without actually trying it) it doesn't appear that Liferea does either. But I'm about to test it, so we'll see. I was just wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head what they thought I should try. That list, unfortunately, was mostly e-mail clients or discontinued programs (or both). I looked at all the wiki pages for the Linux ones.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

FeedReader is another one you could try https://jangernert.github.io/FeedReader/. On Linux Mint 18.3 you can install it from Software Manager, it's found in the flatpak category there. As far as I can see, there's no way to save searches in FeedReader either. You can tag articles.
Doranwen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Doranwen »

Well, Liferea does apparently have something called Search Folders, so maybe that's the choice - on the other hand, it doesn't really matter, as my RSSOwl db finally got too corrupted to start up. Now I'm wishing I'd done this awhile back and turned off the updating on RSSOwl, so maybe I could've gotten to the old news that I was wanting to. *sigh* Starting it with a fresh profile and just importing the OPML for the feeds does seem to be a more stable client. Now I just need to keep it that way...

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Spoke too soon. RSSOwl is still not completely stable. Even with a fresh profile, just importing the OPML. I'm not sure what's going on there. And I've tried to test the Liferea search folder thing... and it crashes every time.

Code: Select all

"Loading /usr/share/liferea/search_folder.ui failed: Failed to open file '/usr/share/liferea/search_folder.ui': No such file or directory"
Trace/breakpoint trap
Apparently a known issue, as I spotted here. This is not my lucky week with technology, lol.

...And apparently that file was left out of the source for the version that's in the repo, fixed in a later version. So I'll have to see if I can find a newer version that'll run on Mint 18.1… Which removed has. So now I can test it long-term against RSSOwl and see what's more stable.

Return to “Software & Applications”