Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dkoblos
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED undoing changed dependencies

Post by dkoblos » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:06 pm

I mistakenly started installing a program, which I realized halfway through that it was not what I actually wanted. Now I want to undo the changes I made, and would like to ask for help doing so.

The program in question is the CureCoin Wallet, from here: https://github.com/cygnusxi/CurecoinSource

Before installing it, I had to copy-paste the following into the Terminal:

sudo apt-get install qt5-default qt5-qmake qtbase5-dev-tools qttools5-dev-tools libboost-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-thread-dev libssl-dev libminiupnpc-dev libdb5.3++-dev dh-make build-essential

I was even told that doing this would take up an additional 320 MB, and I clicked yes. It took a good few minutes to complete, and by the time I had realized that I didn't even want to do this, it was too late.

So far I have not experienced any problems, still I would like to undo the changes I made. 320 MB are a good chunk of data space, and I don't want these unneeded alterations to cause problems in future. At the same time it would be nice to learn about undoing changes for future reference.

Please note, so far my experience with the Terminal hasn't reached beyond copy-pasting incomprehensible lines (at least to me), but I'm willing to learn.

I appreciate any help!
Last edited by dkoblos on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: undoing changed dependencies

Post by xenopeek » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:44 pm

These are all software packages needed for developing Qt based programs. They don't do any harm being installed on your system but it's also fine to remove them. You can remove them with this command:

Code: Select all

apt purge qt5-default qt5-qmake qtbase5-dev-tools qttools5-dev-tools libboost-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-thread-dev libssl-dev libminiupnpc-dev libdb5.3++-dev dh-make build-essential
Then to remove any dependencies they have installed also run:

apt autoremove --purge
To also remove the downloaded packages from your cache (but this also removes any other downloaded packages from the cache, meaning you can't easily downgrade such packages to an earlier version if that is ever needed) run:

apt clean

dkoblos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dkoblos » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 am

Sweet!

Thanks for the help, xenopeek! I'll use this for undoing these changes, as well as any other ones I wanna remove in the future.

However, you said this particular one I've installed is for Qt wallets IN GENERAL, and not just the CureCoin Qt wallet SPECIFICALLY? In that case I may leave it up for a while. See, the reason I installed it, even though I never was interested in CureCoins, was that my Bittconnect Qt wallet would not sync. Although none of this was required for its installation, either from github https://github.com/bitconnectcoin/bitconnectcoin or from the bitconnect site https://github.com/bitconnectcoin/bitco ... nux-wallet

I managed to install and run the wallet without a problem, but I couldn't get it to sync. I've written another query about that here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=258649

Do you think the packages I installed are any help in this regard, or should I try in some other direction?

In any case, I really appreciate your help.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:14 pm

The installed packages are needed to compile general C/C++ programs from source code and/or to compile programs from source code that use the Qt libraries. You do not need these libraries installed unless you are compiling programs from source code. Removing them does not affect already installed programs. They are only needed to compile.

dkoblos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dkoblos » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:53 pm

Awesome!

Thanks once more. So now I guess I should mark this as "SOLVED". I'm confident I'll find a "solved" button, or else I'll just change the title.

Return to “Software & Applications”