Waterfox -- is there a PPA

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Waterfox -- is there a PPA

Post by urdrwho »

Ok I admit that I do install tar.bz2 files enough to remember how to do it. I would like to install WaterFox and what the heck....I just did it on another Mate install two weeks ago. I downloaded the compressed file but can't remember the terminal commands to install it.

Plus it would be nice if there were a PPA so that I could have it in the lists and use the package manager to install.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Water fox -- is there a PPA

Post by Moem »

I've not seen a PPA yet. I've installed it today without any terminal commands. I can't command line myself out of a wet paper bag. But I did not need to.

I just downloaded it, extracted it to my Home directory, and then I had a waterfox directory which contained a waterfox file; doubleclicking on that file starts the browser. You can add a launcher to the menu and make it point to that file and you're done.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

I did extract the files to my download folder and see the bin file but thought there would be some SH command or something to get WF into the mix. I'll give it a go. The last time I installed WF it added all my FF add-ons history etc. Hope it goes that way again.
Moem wrote:I've not seen a PPA yet. I've installed it today without any terminal commands. I can't command line myself out of a wet paper bag. But I did not need to.

I just downloaded it, extracted it to my Home directory, and then I had a waterfox directory which contained a waterfox fpile; doubleclicking on that file starts the browser. You can add a launcher to the menu and make it point to that file and you're done.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

urdrwho wrote:The last time I installed WF it added all my FF add-ons history etc. Hope it goes that way again.
It probably will. It offered to do that for me on first run, and it all went swimmingly.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

Well it does start from the bin but it didn't import FF. It imported Chromium stuff. So I just copied my FF profile folder information into WaterFox and re-started WF and all is well.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

While I avoid installing via compiling and building from tatballs (tar.gz files) in general, I'd particularly avoid installing a browser like that.

If you install software from tarballs you're bypassing the mint/ubuntu/debian apt based packaging system. I.e. it doesn't know the program is there.

Which means that Mint Update will not update any of those programs. ItWhich means that if you want to update said app you have to dl the new tarball, uninstall the existing version, and then compile and build the new version. You'll quite possibly have to update some of the dependencies, which you have to handle yourself if you're not using apt or one of its front ends.

Now, I'm not one of those users who has to have the newest updates of everything, but with a browser, yes, I am. Besides, for me, not having anything but a tarball for installing in a Debian/Ubuntu or Red Hat/Fedora system = terrible Linux support. I wouldn't touch this.

The last thing I installed via a ter.gz file was a backported Broadcom wireless driver for my netbook. That was years ago.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hoser Rob wrote:While I avoid installing via compiling and building from tatballs (tar.gz files) in general, I'd particularly avoid installing a browser like that.
Waterfox is just a compressed file; there is nothing to compile or build. The rest of your command stands: if you install stuff this way, you yourself are responsible for updates. And people who can't or aren't willing to handle that, should stay away. It's a valid point.

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Hoser Rob wrote:Which means that if you want to update said app you have to dl the new tarball, uninstall the existing version, and then compile and build the new version. You'll quite possibly have to update some of the dependencies, which you have to handle yourself if you're not using apt or one of its front ends.
As I read here Waterfox is a binary package, just like Firefox ESR, which I use, since it exists, that is since version 10. Firefox ESR (and so possibly also WF) notices the user, as soon as an update is available. It can easily get updated online and I have never seen - now in 5 years - any dependency problem. The updates arrive on the day, they get released by Mozilla, so my browser is up-to-date several days, before any repository package gets updated.
dark

Post by dark »

urdrwho wrote:Ok I admit that I do install tar.bz2 files enough to remember how to do it. I would like to install WaterFox and what the heck....I just did it on another Mate install two weeks ago. I downloaded the compressed file but can't remember the terminal commands to install it.

Plus it would be nice if there were a PPA so that I could have it in the lists and use the package manager to install.
https://github.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb

Code: Select all

echo "deb https://dl.bintray.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb release main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
curl https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=hawkeye116477 | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install waterfox
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

Thanks for that info.
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Waterfox -- is there a PPA