Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sadhu
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED firefox missing vertical scrollbar

Post by sadhu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:07 am

I am running lm18.2-cinn-64-bit.

I noticed that I'm missing the vertical scrollbar in firefox 48. It used to be there, but has somehow disappeared.

I started FF in safe mode, and the scrollbar is present (albeit without the little up-down line scroll arrows).

I disabled all of my addons, and restarted firefox. No Scrollbar. With all addons disabled, firefox safe-mode brings back the scrollbar.

Any idea what to do?

I'm thinking to delete the profile, and reload all of the addons.

-Thanks
-Sadhu
Last edited by sadhu on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 18.3-64 Cinn 3.4.6, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop: 4GB RAM; Dell Inspiron N4010, Core i3, 4G RAM Integr Gfx

all41
Level 12
Level 12

Re: firefox missing vertical scrollbar

Post by all41 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:36 am

have you installed themes?
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

sadhu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sadhu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:04 am

all41 wrote:have you installed themes?
Firefox is running the default theme.

I had installed the New-Minty theme in mint 18.2-cinn-64. But the but the behaviour is the same even when I reverted to the default theme.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 18.3-64 Cinn 3.4.6, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop: 4GB RAM; Dell Inspiron N4010, Core i3, 4G RAM Integr Gfx

all41
Level 12
Level 12

Post by all41 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:21 am

Certainly a new profile will fix the problem. You can do it temporarily to test.
The profile is in your home/username/ in a hidden directory named .mozilla (Ctrl+H to show). Just rename that directory and when you restart Firefox you will get a fresh profile. If you want to revert back just delete the newly created .mozilla directory and rename your original.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:55 am

You need urgently to update Firefox to fix numerous security leaks.

sadhu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sadhu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:43 am

I removed the profile, then reloaded the addons I like. Some of them I got from the old profile. Works find now.
Cosmo. wrote:You need urgently to update Firefox to fix numerous security leaks.
Well, I agree with you in principle. But FF has a history of breaking my treasured add-ons, just like old Windows updates causing problems with applications, so I have stuck with this previous version. And I am very dissatisfied with the cavalier attitude displayed by the FF developers toward issues of privacy. I have completely disabled and removed pocket and similar.

I also have no facebook or twitter presence, over privacy concerns. I guess you could say I'm a hermit, essentially.

So Cosmo, which would you suggest, since I don't like Firefox: stick with FF48 or just use Seamonkey?

Thanks to all
-Sadhu

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: SOLVED firefox missing vertical scrollbar

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 am

For the next 6 months you can use Firefox ESR, which gets fully support - inclusive my tutorial.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:55 am

sadhu wrote: FF has a history of breaking my treasured add-ons, just like old Windows updates causing problems with applications, so I have stuck with this previous version. And I am very dissatisfied with the cavalier attitude displayed by the FF developers toward issues of privacy. I have completely disabled and removed pocket and similar.
It sounds to me like Waterfox is right up your alley. I like SeaMonkey too but Waterfox feels faster.
It's better not to use Firefox than to use an old and insecure version! You don't want to keep your privacy at the price of losing security...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”