SOLVED: I wish there was a Photo Editor like Picasa that has the ...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
User avatar
Pepi
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 pm

SOLVED: I wish there was a Photo Editor like Picasa that has the ...

Postby Pepi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 pm

"I'm Feeling Lucky" feature. It was so easy to edit photos with this simple feature. Just open your photo and click the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button and it would set your brightness and contrast pretty much spot on. I tried to setup Google Pisaca in LMDE2 and Mint 18.3 via WINE but it crashes all the time. Tried a few other photo editors but they are a bit involved to do what the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button did :?
Last edited by Pepi on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

DwightD
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:36 am

Re: I wish there was a Photo Editor like Picasa that has the ...

Postby DwightD » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:34 pm

I followed the directions here--
https://askubuntu.com/questions/86452/h ... picasa-3-9

I have had no problem.

odtech
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:25 am

Re: I wish there was a Photo Editor like Picasa that has the ...

Postby odtech » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:26 am

Pepi wrote:"I'm Feeling Lucky" feature. It was so easy to edit photos with this simple feature. Just open your photo and click the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button and it would set your brightness and contrast pretty much spot on. I tried to setup Google Pisaca in LMDE2 and Mint 18.3 via WINE but it crashes all the time. Tried a few other photo editors but they are a bit involved to do what the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button did :?


Gimp has a "auto adjust color levels" option.

User avatar
Pepi
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: I wish there was a Photo Editor like Picasa that has the ...

Postby Pepi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:03 am

DwightD wrote:I followed the directions here--
https://askubuntu.com/questions/86452/h ... picasa-3-9

I have had no problem.


I will try the WineTrick program. Don't believe I have it installed. I remember that Picasa 3.9 ran fine on my 17.3 KDE system :?

User avatar
Pepi
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: I wish there was a Photo Editor like Picasa that has the ...

Postby Pepi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:09 am

odtech wrote:
Pepi wrote:"I'm Feeling Lucky" feature. It was so easy to edit photos with this simple feature. Just open your photo and click the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button and it would set your brightness and contrast pretty much spot on. I tried to setup Google Pisaca in LMDE2 and Mint 18.3 via WINE but it crashes all the time. Tried a few other photo editors but they are a bit involved to do what the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button did :?


Gimp has a "auto adjust color levels" option.


Yep, but I just can't get into GIMP. Just never could bond with it :(

User avatar
BenTrabetere
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:04 am
Location: Hattiesburg, MS USA

Re: I wish there was a Photo Editor like Picasa that has the ...

Postby BenTrabetere » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Pepi wrote:"I'm Feeling Lucky" feature. It was so easy to edit photos with this simple feature.

Pix is an image viewer with basic set of tools for editing images. It has auto-correct buttons to adjust the Color, Contrast, and Equalizer settings. Pix is one of the X-Apps, and it should run on LMDE.

Another option is XnView MP. It is an image viewer with larger set of tools for editing images. It can automatically correct Color and Levels. A DEB is available from the website.

Code: Select all

https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

User avatar
phd21
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5216
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: I wish there was a Photo Editor like Picasa that has the ...

Postby phd21 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi "Pepi",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are many good to excellent image and photo editors and tools available, some of which are in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). There are many good posts in this forum on this topic.

What about Google Photos? If you upload images to that (easy to do), click an image to edit it, it has a one-click "auto" feature among other nice options (see screenshot). Then, you can easily download it back to your computer. There are also many other online image and photo editors available.

Not sure if this is still the same... but it has the feature you like from Picasa
Why the Built-In Photo Editor on Google+ Rocks JULY 6, 2011
http://webtrickz.com/why-the-built-in-photo-editor-on-google-rocks/

As was already mentioned, Picasa is discontinued, you can download it and run it under wine from what I have read.

*** There is a wonderful PPA (Dariusz Duma Packages in “Highly explosive!”) with many image and photo related packages available for Linux and Linux Mint (17.x and 18.x), including an easy way to install "gimp-beautify", and other application packages I have not found anywhere else. As with most PPA's, if you do not want to install the PPA, you can download Linux Deb files for the applications (click "view package details" on middle right, then click application package you are interested in for your system (& see details of what the application is), click the appropriate deb file link(s), save that, and double-click the deb file to install it). You can also install the PPA and the applications what you want, and then disable the PPA (uncheck it through "Software Sources").

Highly explosive! : Dariusz Duma - click link below to see the available applications (there are a lot of them, click next at bottom of page)
"Every photographer needs some tools..."
https://launchpad.net/~dhor/+archive/ubuntu/myway/+index?batch=75&memo=150&start=150

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update



GIMP Beautify is a set of GIMP plug-ins for quickly and easily beautify photos
"Beautify is a plugin that aggregates several photo effects and editing options into a single, straightforward interface, and turns your GIMP into a photo retouching studio. You can use it to give your photos a dash of glamour, correct color and contrast issues, and apply Instagram-like filters to your selfies."
https://github.com/hejiann/beautify

20 Best Free GIMP Plugins Sept 30, 2016
https://beebom.com/best-gimp-plugins/


Hope this helps ...

GooglePhotos_Edit2sm.jpg
Google Photos (online)


ppa_dhor_1sm.jpg
Dariusz Duma PPA - screen 1


ppa_dhor_2sm.jpg
Dariusz Duma PPA - screen 2


Gimp - Auto features
Image

Gimp - Beautify 1
Image

Gimp - Beautify 2
Image
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

User avatar
Moem
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4365
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: I wish there was a Photo Editor like Picasa that has the ...

Postby Moem » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:02 pm

BenTrabetere wrote:Pix is an image viewer with basic set of tools for editing images. It has auto-correct buttons to adjust the Color, Contrast, and Equalizer settings.

Mine only has autocorrect for contrast, the others need to be set by hand. Am I missing something here, or are you?
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
BenTrabetere
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:04 am
Location: Hattiesburg, MS USA

Re: I wish there was a Photo Editor like Picasa that has the ...

Postby BenTrabetere » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 am

Moem wrote:
BenTrabetere wrote:Pix is an image viewer with basic set of tools for editing images. It has auto-correct buttons to adjust the Color, Contrast, and Equalizer settings.

Mine only has autocorrect for contrast, the others need to be set by hand. Am I missing something here, or are you?

My mistake - the Color adjustment is not automatic. The Equalizer adjusts the levels, it is automatic and I have not found a way to manually adjust the levels with Pix.

zootsocket
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:19 am
Location: UK

Re: I wish there was a Photo Editor like Picasa that has the ...

Postby zootsocket » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:24 am

Pinta has an autolevels function that does what you want.

User avatar
Pepi
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: I wish there was a Photo Editor like Picasa that has the ...

Postby Pepi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks guys ... With all this information I will come up with something I like for sure 8)


Return to “Software & Applications”