[SOLVED] Video editor trouble Openshot/Kdenlive

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wildbill

[SOLVED] Video editor trouble Openshot/Kdenlive

Post by Wildbill »

I have been looking for a video editor similar to Premier as I edit a show for a non-profit and it's nice to do some of the work at home. Haven't had much luck so far. I'm running Mint 18.2. I'm a newbe to Linux. I have tried Openshot and it's not bad but mainly it keeps crashing there are a few other little things that are just inconvenient those I can handle. I had read somewhere (i have lost track) that Kdenlive was good and I found it on the software manager (pretty highly recommended) so I installed it. Now it seems to be working OK it's a little hard to tell as the buttons don't have a description when you hover over them. The area the label/description should be shows up but it's blank. One of the folks reviewing the software suggested to include the following via a terminal "sudo apt-get install kde-runtime" that seemed to install fine but didn't help the problem. Next it was suggested that I, again in terminal add "sudo apt-get install kde-workspace-data" this resulted in the following.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package kde-workspace-data is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
powerdevil:i386 plasma-desktop:i386 powerdevil plasma-desktop-data
plasma-desktop kde-base-artwork

E: Package 'kde-workspace-data' has no installation candidate

Now as I mentioned I am a newbe so please forgive me when I ask, how many packages are actually listed (three I think) which do you recommend, and should I use the same command line 'sudo apt-get install _________ to install them.

If anyone has any suggestion on Openshot I do like it I just can't have it crashing (sometimes even when I am saving my work) frequently.
Thanks in advance Wildbill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Video editor trouble Openshot/Kdenlive

Post by kukamuumuka »

Wildbill wrote:Now it seems to be working OK it's a little hard to tell as the buttons don't have a description when you hover over them. The area the label/description should be shows up but it's blank.
Project -> Add Title Clip

Notice that Title Clip's track must be set above the Video track.
kdenlive_titleclip.jpg
Wildbill

Post by Wildbill »

I guess i didn't explain that correctly. I am referring to the operational buttons of the program itself.
Examples:
At the bottom of the screen there is a button with a pair of scissors on it. When you hover over the button a small window pops up. I would imagine in the window it should say 'cut' but it's blank.
On the timeline itself on the far left of say Video 1 there are four icons, a lock, a speaker, a piece of film. and I'm not sure what the last one is. If you hover your mouse over any one of these a small window pops up supposedly to describe what the button is for. But they are all blank. Now many of these I can figure out just by the common use of an icon (Ex speaker = volume) but some are not so common.
One more that is an example of what I referred to above: second line down from the top there is a star with a down facing arrow to it's right. If you hover over it a little window pops up that is blank. Due to the fact that is has the down arrow I assume it's a drop down menu. I click on it and it is but the window is empty. Because there was a blank popup description of the star I have no idea what is supposed to be on the drop down menu.
Hope this helps
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Wildbill wrote: Examples:
At the bottom of the screen there is a button with a pair of scissors on it. When you hover over the button a small window pops up. I would imagine in the window it should say 'cut' but it's blank.
I have pop ups. If you do not have, install Kdenlive with recomments.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends kdenlive
hover_popup.png
Wildbill

Post by Wildbill »

Well tried entering your command and same problem. HOWEVER!!!! I just started looking though the different menus clicked on Settings. clicked on Style. changed default to a different one Fusion I think, and Presto popups with words on them. Not exactly like your screen shot (yellowish background black letters) mine has a black background with white letters, I'll take it. Now the crazy thing is, just for the %$&& of it I changed the setting back to default AND same black background white letters. Go figure! Long story short I guess my problem is fixed, haven't got any idea how but it's fixed. Now to go see if the program fits my editing needs.
Thanks for the help. :D
Dennish2300
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Video editor trouble Openshot/Kdenlive

Post by Dennish2300 »

Thanks for this. Changing the style and changing it back to default also worked for me.

Return to “Software & Applications”