alternative to google earth

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Foster
Level 2
Level 2

alternative to google earth

Post by Foster »

not wishing to enable permission to the all seeing eye of google earth I notice that there is an alternative provided by nasa known as,worldwind . Has anyone had any success with this ? I would be interested to know if its worth the hassle of installing . Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: alternative to google earth

Post by trytip »

edit:
Last edited by trytip on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Foster",

I just read your post and the good reply to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

The NASA WorldWind project looks really nice. But with a quick review, it is an open source Application Programming Interface, and I did not see any working applications developed using that for the Linux platform, or any other platform, (yet)? Does anyone else see any?

If you do not want Google or anyone else monitoring your activities, change your local ISP default DNS servers to neutral secure and anonymous ones from a reliable DNS provider, use a neutral secure and anonymous VPN provider's server to connect to the Internet, use a browser's "private window", and install browser add-ons (extensions, etc...) to block passing information (Disconnect, Privacy badger or privacy protector plus, etc...) some are specifically for blocking Google's information gathering.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Foster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Foster »

Thanks for your replies ,well worth asking the question. Strange that since I submitted the post my password has been rejected by the forum ????
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I did a no-no and downloaded an older version that runs pretty good on my 18.3 cinnamon

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx0YZ3 ... VkNDQ/view
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Foster",

You are welcome.

I always install Google Earth, it is a wonderful application.

The newer Nasa WorldWind sounds pretty great as well, but again I do not see any applications to try it yet. Does anyone else know of any?
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Software & Applications”