[SOLVED} Storing Thunderbird E-Mail on an External Hard Drive

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
julianvb

[SOLVED} Storing Thunderbird E-Mail on an External Hard Drive

Post by julianvb »

2017-12-09

Is there any way to install or move my Thunderbird e-mail client to an external hard drive? I've been losing my mail so frequently due to computer problems through the years. Any help will be muc happreciated.

Julianvb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Installing Linux Mint Thunderbird E-Mail Client on an External Hard Drive

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "julianvb",

The link provided by "deepakdeshp " does not work for me.

I do not know if you can install Thunderbird (TB) to an external drive, but you can certainly easily change the default folders for your TB profile to another location, like an external drive or USB flash drive stick. Of course, that external drive would have to be connected when using TB from then on (Tip: You could use a "cloud" provider's folder too). Go into TB, click on an email account you have, click "view settings for this account, click "Server Settings", scroll down to "location", and browse to the new location, create a new folder if necessary, one for each email address, restart TB, and the new location will be used from then on. I usually do this to make backing up my TB mail easier by using a profile folder underneath my "Documents" folder since I always backup the "Documents" folder anyway, like "/Documents/tb-email-address-name".

Hope this helps ...
Thunderbird_Custom_Folder1sm.jpg
Thunderbird_Custom_Folder2sm.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

Thanks very much to you and deepakdeshp. When I get a chance, I'll try out deepakdeshp's suggestion also.

Hi, phd21,

It's a good to hear from you again. I just followed your good advice by creating a 'Thunderbird' folder on an external drive and sending myself a test message. But the resulting text appears as detailed html codes. What can I do to preserve Thunderbird regular format?

How can I restore my old TB local server directory, which now is gone and I can't remember ?
Julianvb
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "julianvb",

You are welcome, nice to hear from you too.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you are describing?

I forgot to ask, what is the file system on the external drive, Ms Windows (NTFS, exFat, Fat32, etc...) or Linux (ext4, etc...)? While not in Thunderbird (or restart afterwards), If it is Linux (ext4) then you should probably check the folder permissions to make sure you (user) have permission to the folder (right click folder, select properties, permissions tab, check user and group permissions, make sure it is not root, click apply and ok. Even if it is a MS Windows file system, it could not hurt to check the permissions.

Also, there may be settings in Thunderbird (TB) preferences and email server settings for HTML. I know on my system when reading mail it might not display everything if you get a message that shows "to protect your privacy, Thunderbird has blocked remote content", just click preferences button to allow remote content on emails you want and are familiar with.

I hope you and yours are doing well.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

phd21,

Everything turned out fine. It was a false alarm. I was a bit impatient.. I discovered that it's good to rename the '.thunderbird' folder to 'thunderbird'. To play safe, I simply copy the entire original .thunderbird folder to the new folder named Thunderbird on my external hard drive named 250-hd, which will remain constantly connected to the computer. Schematically,
/home/jul/.thunderbird/ copied totally to /media/jul/250-hd/Thunderbird/

I next replaced the old 'Server Settings' local directory's entry as follows with the Browse button.
/media/250-hd/Thunderbird/18rfqpsw.default
Thus the contents remain the same as before but the mail-storage location is now an external drive. Thanks very much again to everyone.

Julianvb
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "julianvb",

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

Return to “Software & Applications”