Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
eagle7779
Level 1
Level 1

Linux device task manager

Post by eagle7779 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:36 am

Is there a linux equivelant to the windows device and task managers or is there a software app that I can download, I'm running mint cinnamon.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux device task manager

Post by Moem » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:57 am

'System monitor' (which you already have) is similar to the task manager in Windows.
'Hardinfo' (which can be installed from the software manager) is reasonably similar to the device manager. It doesn't manage drivers but it gives information about your hardware. Another option for that is 'Lshw-gtk' (also in the software manager).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

eagle7779
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eagle7779 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Ok, so I followed your recommendation and installed that lshw program, after some experimenting and finding out that it runs under a terminal I found out that you have to run it under root to get an accurate look at things. So how do I run it under root, also what is the linux equivalent to the "program file" folder in windows.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:12 pm

eagle7779 wrote:Ok, so I followed your recommendation and installed that lshw program, after some experimenting and finding out that it runs under a terminal
That's lshw. I recommended lshw-gtk, which is the gui version (graphical user interface). That runs fine here and I don't run it as root.
eagle7779 wrote:also what is the linux equivalent to the "program file" folder in windows.
There isn't really one direct equivalent. That's not how Linux-based OSes organise things. Here's more information on that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”