Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Bob M
Level 3
Level 3

Making personalised Applets.

Post by Bob M » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:20 pm

With Windows there are many programmes that can turn a JPEG picture into an Icon that you can attach a Desktop short-cut to.

However, I have never seen a programme in Linux Mint that can do this. I appreciate one can download additional pre-made Applets, but I’d like to be able to use pictures I’ve taken myself.

Hope you experts can throw some light on the problem because Google has not been kind to me. :D

Thanks

Bob

MrEen
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Making personalised Applets.

Post by MrEen » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:37 pm

I think you mean Emblems. See if this page helps: https://crcok.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/ ... mint-mate/

Bob M
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bob M » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Ahhhh, I'd better look up the difference between Applets and Emblems hadn't I. :oops:

Anyway I'll try what that link you posted suggests and be back.

Thanks

Bob

Bob M
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bob M » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 am

Ok, someone is going to have to explain to this new-be dummy what the difference is between an Applet, an Emblem, an Icon, and who this chap Nautilus is who seems to run things with the help of a Gnome?

Now the Link you provided MrEen looked promising, but, we fell at the second hurdle because the “Edit Menu” didn’t have a “Backgrounds and Emblems choice”.

This may well be because the instructions were for a Mate Desktop, whereas mine is a Cinnamon “Sarah”.

Anyway, that’s where I’m up to and it’s not the end of the world. :D

Cheers

Bob

Return to “Software & Applications”