Resizing images is a pain on Linux Mint (rant)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ccoyle
Level 2
Level 2

Resizing images is a pain on Linux Mint (rant)

Post by ccoyle »

Linux needs a simple, easy-to-use, image viewer with some very basic, reasonably intuitive, editing features, most importantly the ability to easily resize an image* or giving you the option of fitting an image to your desktop when you set it as wallpaper.

STEP 1: Open the original image. STEP 2: Click on "file" or "edit", get a dropdown menu. STEP 3: Click on "resize" and get a menu that let's you do it! STEP 4: Save the new image where you want it.

Don't tell me "you want an editor, not a viewer" or "use Gimp", which is way too complex when you simply want to resize an image to fit as desktop wallpaper.

Such a program should be in the default install of any package.

Linux has nothing that is even close to IrfanView. No, I don't want to use Wine.

* cropping and inserting a small amount of text should also be in every such program.

Now I feel better
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Resizing images is a pain on Linux Mint (rant)

Post by thx-1138 »

...on Mint 18.x, Pix (installed by default), can replicate the very exact steps that you described... :roll:
Linux has nothing that is even close to IrfanView. No, I don't want to use Wine.
There are numerous apps that provide such functionality, eg. Fotoxx comes to mind as a random example.
XNView, which is very IrfanView alike, also has a linux version, but i haven't kept up to date with it's development to be honest...
Last edited by thx-1138 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Now that you feel better: Try Pinta:
- Menu - Graphics - Pinta
"Easily create and edit images".
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

With the default Pix:

Launch Pix, click on image, click in the panel on the Tools button (three dashes) - in the dropdown, click Resize images...
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

ccoyle wrote:Don't tell me "you want an editor, not a viewer" or "use Gimp", which is way too complex when you simply want to resize an image to fit as desktop wallpaper.
I won't tell you to use gimp, but I will tell you that resizing an image in gimp is about as simple as it can be.

Rt-click on image -> open with gimp
Then in gimp
Menu.Image -> scale image -> enter your size .
Then
File -> Export. (or "Overwrite")

You really can't get much simpler than that without a mind-reading interface: the amount of "work" you do is the same as with irfanview (which is my image viewer).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
ccoyle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ccoyle »

thx-1138 wrote:...on Mint 18.x, Pix (installed by default), can replicate the very exact steps that you described... :roll:
Not that I can see. Can't find it in any dropdown off File, Edit, View, Go, Bookmarks, or Help. Using Pix 1.6.2 :roll:

Really, it should be as simple as opening the image and hitting Ctrl-R or some other combination.

Don't get me wrong. I love Linux Mint, and use it exclusively on all of my non-work devices, but it has some rough edges. Image viewers and screen shots are two.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Hi ccoyle, it's 1.6.2 here as well, please check on the upper side of the image, there where the mouse pointer is:
You will have first to tick the "Toolbar" under "View"...
ccoyle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ccoyle »

Flemur wrote:
ccoyle wrote:Don't tell me "you want an editor, not a viewer" or "use Gimp", which is way too complex when you simply want to resize an image to fit as desktop wallpaper.
I won't tell you to use gimp, but I will tell you that resizing an image in gimp is about as simple as it can be.

Rt-click on image -> open with gimp
Then in gimp
Menu.Image -> scale image -> enter your size .
Then
File -> Export. (or "Overwrite")
lf
You really can't get much simpler than that without a mind-reading interface: the amount of "work" you do is the same as with irfanview (which is my image viewer).
Disagree. Aside from the fact that Gimp uses the needlessly ambiguous "scale image" rather than the simple "resize", it lacks a simple menu of obvious choices once you get there: half, double, x%, best fit to desktop, and some common sizes.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

ccoyle wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I love Linux Mint, and use it exclusively on all of my non-work devices, but it has some rough edges. Image viewers and screen shots are two.
Screenshots are quite easy. There's a built-in app called Screenshot. Also, you can download an app called Shutter (which I use). If you want a quick shot of the whole screen, just press PrtScrn key.
ccoyle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ccoyle »

thx-1138 wrote:Hi ccoyle, it's 1.6.2 here as well, please check on the upper side of the image, there where the mouse pointer is:
You will have first to tick the "Toolbar" under "View"...
Well there you go, and thank you very much. Never noticed that tiny and easy-to-miss icon.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That's great! Now you can mark this as [SOLVED]. :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

ccoyle wrote: Aside from the fact that Gimp uses the needlessly ambiguous "scale image" rather than the simple "resize", it lacks a simple menu of obvious choices once you get there: half, double, x%, best fit to desktop, and some common sizes.
IOW, gimp is just like pix. (Other than the word "scale" vs "resize").
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "ccoyle",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 for - There are numerous options for this.

+1 XnViewMP is a lot like Irfanview

Uploading a screenshot, image, or images to this forum (resizing or scaling images one or more at a time).
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=232332&hilit=screenshot

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

ccoyle, in general you will get better results by asking, "How do I do such and such on Linux?" as opposed to ranting about what Linux supposedly doesn't do. On some forums, that would get you ignored. Here on the Mint forums, we're so nice that people will tell you how to do what you want to do anyway, but still, it would be better if you just politely ask.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

ccoyle wrote:Linux needs...
Nice rant newbie!!! You made a typo early in the rant though... you typed "linux needs..." when you meant "I want... (that I have an intuitive understanding of)..."

In case nobody had mentioned it >>> Linux is not Windows!
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

ccoyle wrote: Disagree. Aside from the fact that Gimp uses the needlessly ambiguous "scale image" rather than the simple "resize", it lacks a simple menu of obvious choices once you get there: half, double, x%, best fit to desktop, and some common sizes.
Gimp does support percentages. Just select percentage in the dropdown on the Scale Image window. You can enter 50% or 200%. You can enter mathematical expressions in the field. And they have well maintained documentation that can be accessed by clicking on the "Help" button.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ccoyle wrote:Now I feel better
GIMP > Image > Scale Image

HTH
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

If you are using Cinnamon with Nemo you can resize directly from the File Manager right-click context menu. It requires a plug-in nemo-image-converter which I don't think is default but can easily be installed via the Software Centre, Synaptic or Terminal ( sudo apt update && apt install nemo-image-converter ).

Then look in Nemo \ Edit\ Plugins and tick its checkbox if necessary. Viola. Uses ImageMagick as it's backend.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Software & Applications”