BOINC about 4 years out of date @ Mint, Ubuntu at ver 7.8.3 (current)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aspadistra

BOINC about 4 years out of date @ Mint, Ubuntu at ver 7.8.3 (current)

Post by aspadistra »

The BOINC on LM is about 4 years out of date, Unbuntu is at 7.8.3 right now ... but I assume Debian is also.

For whatever reason the Debian + Unbuntu branches of BOINC that are up to date are not being sent back ...

-- https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: BOINC about 4 years out of date, Ubuntu at 7.8.3

Post by Hoser Rob »

aspadistra wrote:... For whatever reason the Debian + Unbuntu branches of BOINC that are up to date are not being sent back ...
I just looked at that link. The newest version for Linux mentioned there is dated September 2014. That's the bleeding edge version ... the stable working one is even older.

What this says to me ... screams it in fact ... is that they are simply not maintaining the Linux version any more. Which is why the repo version is old. ALL Linux versions of this program are old.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
aspadistra

Re: BOINC about 4 years out of date, Ubuntu at 7.8.3

Post by aspadistra »

This is not true at all, as the LUBNUTU and UNBUNTU branches have the same version as Win10 and MacOS.

Somebody is maintaining the BOINC up to the current version for the Debian branches, but somehow are not sending the binaries back to the core BOINC site.

I have a laptop next to the desktop I am typing this in with -- and it has BOINC at 7.8.3 and "bointui" at its current version as well.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: BOINC about 4 years out of date @ Mint, Ubuntu at ver 7.8.3 (current)

Post by jimallyn »

I have BOINC 7.2.42. It has been running on this computer for years. I rarely ever open the program, I just trust that it is doing its job. And now and then when I look at the System Manager I notice that it is still merrily using 100 percent of the one of my four cores I have assigned it, so indeed it is. I feel no urgent need to update.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

The Mint 18 repos have 7.6.31

Mint 18 is based off Ubuntu 16.04 (xenial) which is why it's not the latest version maintained by Debian.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/boinc
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

I am running BOINC 7.6.31 on Mint KDE 18.2 . I have never even thought about date! It runs just fine 24/7 and so far has not returned any errors in 4 Linux years and very few in the Windows years. Everything works as expected so I am not sure why it should even be upgraded.
aspadistra

BOINC out of datedness due to Mint out of datedness ... now at 18.3 so it is sortof fixed ...

Post by aspadistra »

BOINC out of datedness IS A FUNCTION OF ... Mint out of datedness ... that said I am now at 18.3 so it is sortof fixed ...
Jim Hauser

Re: BOINC out of datedness due to Mint out of datedness ... now at 18.3 so it is sortof fixed ...

Post by Jim Hauser »

aspadistra wrote:BOINC out of datedness IS A FUNCTION OF ... Mint out of datedness ... that said I am now at 18.3 so it is sortof fixed ...
I have been running BOINC on Mint KDE for four years. I had been running it on XP for much longer then that...

It has never ever given me any serious problems.
aspadistra

Mint and Kodi out of datedness not helping with DVD player ...

Post by aspadistra »

Mint and Kodi out of datedness not helping with DVD player on the Home PC that I just converted to Mint.

With respect to any automounting problems, I believe I fixed them ... yet somehow my bog standard DVD player is unplayable.

Often it is fine to run with software that is more than a year out of date -- but the media software being out of date may contribute to the DVD not working (or not I am still figuring out this non LUBUNTU OS) ...
aspadistra

Post by aspadistra »

jimallyn wrote:I have BOINC 7.2.42.

It has been running on this computer for years. I rarely ever open the program, I just trust that it is doing its job. And now and then when I look at the System Manager I notice that it is still merrily using 100 percent of the one of my four cores I have assigned it, so indeed it is.

I feel no urgent need to update.

Install and use BOINCTUI, but don't use it with the Terminal program that comes with 18.x -- use LXTERM so that you don't get any screen glitches.
LXTERM is somehow more tolerant of glitches or else more standards compliant, either way it works better for this.

The newer more modern BOINC middleware has a few more advanced features that make it a lot more usable, but mainly I use BOINCTUI as it can be run from the command line to full display in about 1120ms on a Flash Drive.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Download the data, run the tests, upload the results. That is all you really need! The stats are nice though... There are plenty of options now.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "aspadistra",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I re-installed Boinc software recently from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), and it is running Boinc client manager ver. 7.6.31 on my Linux Mint KDE 18.2 system, and it seems to work well. FYI: I use a Boinc account manager (Bam! or GridRepublic) for most projects.

FYI-2: Some software (like Boinc) has specific goals and once that is reached, there really is no need to create updates, except to be able to install it on newer operating systems, or for improvements and bugfixes.

I did not see a version 7.8.3 for Linux Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux Mint 18.x), where is that link?

* Question for Boinc users. I have not used this software for awhile until recently, I never see any transfers under that Transfers Tab? And, I have a project task that says "ready to report", will that be done automatically or do I have to do something?

Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
skivelitis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skivelitis »

In general, you will only see activity in the transfers tab while work is being uploaded/downloaded. This only takes a few seconds so is easy to miss. After upload, a task will then be "ready to report". BOINC is set by default to do this within one hour of completion. You can create a cc_config file and place it in the BOINC data directory to report tasks immediately. If memory serves, mine looks like this....

<cc_config>
<options>
<report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>
</options>
</cc_config>

Then go to the options tab in BOINC manager and click on read config files. You should see an entry in the event log showing that the file has been read.

Detailed instructions can be found here.
2 :Lenovo i3 2120(HT)@3.3GHz with 4GB RAM , nVidia GTX 950 2GB Mint 18.3 Xfce 64bit

Return to “Software & Applications”