[SOLVED] No Sound in Skype

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doodeck

Post by doodeck »

Hi All

I am still going through OS re-installation process. Fairly new to Mint 18.2 Cinnamon but I had Ubuntu for many years before. Never had that much trouble with Skype though...

It's all good video quality, people can hear me and all, but I can not hear anything. I have spend good part of the day searching, reading and trying to solve it. No success!
I tried all these methods also: viewtopic.php?t=151527

I am ready to give up on this... Please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: No Sound in Skype

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello
As I understand there is no sound only in Skype , otherwise it's ok.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
doodeck

Post by doodeck »

deepakdeshp wrote:Hello
As I understand there is no sound only in Skype , otherwise it's ok.
Yes, but it is only a sound issue on my side. I can't hear a damn thing, while other side can hear me no problem. And yes it is only in Skype, all other audio and video applications checked and it's working fine. I seriously don't know what to do next. It's clearly a glitch with skype. It has to be...
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Mint 18.3 is out now. You can upgrade to it and try Skype. Also install latest Skype version.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

doodeck

Post by doodeck »

deepakdeshp wrote:Mint 18.3 is out now. You can upgrade to it and try Skype. Also install latest Skype version.
I've upgraded to 18.3 uninstalled then installed again Skype... still the same problem. :roll:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Did you install Skype by downloading or from repository?
Repository versions aren't the latest ones usually.
Regards,
Deepak

doodeck

Re: [SOLVED] No Sound in Skype

Post by doodeck »

deepakdeshp wrote:Did you install Skype by downloading or from repository?
Repository versions aren't the latest ones usually.
Both. Actually the one from Software Manager was latest version, but still didn't change a thing.

So I started to fiddle some more with Skype audio options as this problem affects only this program. It appeared that on my ThinkPad running on Mint I couldn't hear anything for one silly reason - I had to plug in external speakers or use headphones. None of the settings would not run the integrated audio system.

What a battle... What a silly issue... :roll:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Regards,
Deepak

doodeck

Post by doodeck »

I am using Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit Cinnamon version 3.6.6 IntelCore i5 7.5GB RAM. It's all good now. My machine is ready to work 8)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [SOLVED] No Sound in Skype

Post by tdockery97 »

Have you tried using the online Skype? Everything seems to work great for me, and you get the animated emoticons which don't work for me on the desktop version of skype. The online version is at https://web.skype.com/en/ and you just use your normal skype login info.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Software & Applications”