Handbrake tips and tricks?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
magicchance

Handbrake tips and tricks?

Post by magicchance »

I've searched and watched tutorials, but I can't find an answer as of yet: Is there a command for taking all the individual chapters and converting them into a single MP4 file while converting/ripping? At the moment, it only allows me to rip individual chapters, not even batches of chapters, and so far I don't see any way to combine them after they have been ripped, or even during the conversion process.

If Handbrake can't convert batches of chapters into a single long MP4 file, please tell me what can. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Handbrake tips and tricks?

Post by Flemur »

magicchance wrote:I've searched and watched tutorials, but I can't find an answer as of yet:
Arrrgh! They'd all die if they spent a couple of hours documenting their software!
Is there a command for taking all the individual chapters and converting them into a single MP4 file while converting/ripping? At the moment, it only allows me to rip individual chapters, not even batches of chapters, and so far I don't see any way to combine them after they have been ripped, or even during the conversion process.!
It's been a while but IIRC I had the opposite problem - on a DVD with various episodes of a TV series handbrake wanted to put them all in one file, and I had to laboriously do each one individually.

What happens when you enter the chapters by hand? (All of them, for one output file) Does it change it back?

There are a couple of other programs - dvdrip, omgrip - search "dvd rip" in software mgr/synaptic.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
magicchance

Post by magicchance »

Flemur wrote:What happens when you enter the chapters by hand? (All of them, for one output file) Does it change it back?
Thanks for stepping in.

After scanning the source it tells you how many chapters there are. But then you have to select them individually, and rip them individually. As far as I can see there isn't any command for doing all [10] chapters at once, or as a single finished file. Or even as batches, which I would also take right now.

I guess most people are ripping movies. In which case, there is just a single large file and all the rest are random menus you really don't need in order to enjoy the movie itself. But in my case I am ripping instructional videos, and so out of 10 or 12 chapters, at least half of them (the half that are not short intro vids or menus -- IE, every other file or so) need to be saved or else the continuity is lost as these are teaching vids.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Ack - I just (re)installed handbrake after going M18.2 -> 18.3 and I can't get it to do anything. With one of those WalMat reject $1 DVDs of the old Andy Griffith show It says "Scanning 1-5 titles" then nothing at all...can't do anything, no preview, most stuff is greyed out.

But see if
Handbrake-menu: File ->Single Title.
makes any difference.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Turns out handbrake needed a whole bunch of extra packages (reinstall with "recommends") - though it did NOT complain about anything in a terminal - but now it's sort-of working, although the preview just shows still images and some other glitches.
IMHO Linux doesn't have any good video software...my previous suggestion apparently won't work.

I thought "dvdrip" was going to do it, but it just copied 3 "titles" (VOB episodes) and didn't convert them. I thought it ran pretty fast!
Converting is one at a time..sigh. ogmrip is just weird.

If all else fails, "avidemux" can concatenate multiple video files (of the same resolution) and save it all to a new file **without re-encoding**. If it doesn't understand m4v, just rename them to mp4.

Edit: handbrake: how to set up a queue
https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/advanced/queue.html
magicchance

Post by magicchance »

Flemur wrote:But see if Handbrake-menu: File ->Single Title. makes any difference.
Nope. I'm not getting anything with this, that I don't already get by just right-clicking straight on the DVD in the tray, and copying all the highlighted VOB files. Which is just a bunch of messy smaller files, but it's no different than what Handbrake (or any other platform) does. I can't believe this hasn't been handled already, it seems like such common sense to rip several short files into a single long one.
magicchance

Post by magicchance »

Can you show the best way to get avidemux loaded? The avidemux home pages has language/sources I'm not familiar with. Thanks!
NietGiftig

Post by NietGiftig »

magicchance wrote:Can you show the best way to get avidemux loaded? The avidemux home pages has language/sources I'm not familiar with. Thanks!
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html
Linux 64, Universal binaries
Is an Appimage
(dont forget to do "chmod +x avidemux_2.7.0.appImage" !).

Return to “Software & Applications”