[Solved] Linux alternatives to "Paint" in Windows

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
callagg2
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Linux alternatives to "Paint" in Windows

Post by callagg2 »

Any chance Linux Mint 19 might get GPAINT 0.5.0 or GPAINT 0.6.0 do you think?

https://launchpad.net/gnome-paint/+milestone/0.5.0

I would install KolourPaint, but not sure i want to start installing KDE applications in Cinnamon.
GIMP is too complicated for the simple tasks i want

As for Gpaint 0.40.0, in Cinnamon 18.3
- it won't copy and paste correctly
- it won't allow me to select text
- it won't allow me to move around the editing toolbars
- it won't allow me to colour in anything too easily

It would be great to have an Xapp made from KolourPaint and GPaint etc.

Before you ask if there is any demand for it, a quick cursory internet search brings up a number of hits
https://www.debugpoint.com/2014/10/2-dr ... in-ubuntu/
https://alternativeto.net/software/micr ... form=linux
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-Linux ... f-MS-Paint
http://dailylinuxuser.com/2014/11/8-lin ... tives.html
http://www.linuxalt.com/linux-alternati ... paint.html

The general opinion is that GIMP is too complicated.

Previous thread viewtopic.php?f=90&t=40560
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: What is Linux alternative to "Paint" in Windows?

Post by Moem »

I've split this off from a very old thread, that should not have been revived.
As for your current options: have you tried Pinta?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Ozo

Re: Linux alternatives to "Paint" in Windows

Post by Ozo »

callagg2 wrote:Any chance Linux Mint 19 might get GPAINT 0.5.0 or GPAINT 0.6.0 do you think?.
Yea, plus 1 to pinta. Still it is not easy to use but then I only require very simple tasks performed. I am unable to even crop a photo. It looks easy but is not.

I mainly used it to resize photos etc for the forum. However; I now use a photo host called Imgr that simplifies all that. Seven clicks and you have the address for insertion in the post between the rimg . No resizing required.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Moem wrote: a very old thread, that should not have been revived.
This seems to be trending lately
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Ozo wrote:
callagg2 wrote: I am unable to even crop a photo. It looks easy but is not.
Select a part of the image and then from the Image menu choose Crop to Selection. It looks hard, but it is not. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Moem wrote:
Ozo wrote:
callagg2 wrote: I am unable to even crop a photo. It looks easy but is not.
Select a part of the image and then from the Image menu choose Crop to Selection. It looks hard, but it is not. :wink:
It is unclear how to "select a part". I have done this successfully in the past but now am stuck. :(
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Ozo wrote:It is unclear how to "select a part". I have done this successfully in the past but now am stuck. :(
Have no fear, help is here. :)
Activate the 'select' tool from the tool palette (the one on the top left) and then you can select by dragging with your mouse.
On this screenshot the 'select' tool is directly below the T in the word Tools:

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Moem wrote:
Ozo wrote:It is unclear how to "select a part". I have done this successfully in the past but now am stuck. :(
Have no fear, help is here. :)
Activate the 'select' tool from the tool palette (the one on the top left) and then you can select by dragging with your mouse.
On this screenshot the 'select' tool is directly below the T in the word Tools:
Ah, the rectangle. I remember that now but it was so small in the menu that I could not find it. Here is a cropped photo. It is easy but not easy to see the tools.

Thank you once again Moem.

Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

The thread got lost in all the chatter. Not having a simple - yet good features - drawing program is a drawback for Linux users. That is why I dual boot with Winners. Hence, I too would like to hear of a good, yet easy to use, drawing program.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pinta, Gnomepaint, there are so many others. The software manager is full of them. Just do a search for 'drawing' or 'paint' and see what you can find.

callagg2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by callagg2 »

Moem wrote:I've split this off from a very old thread, that should not have been revived.
As for your current options: have you tried Pinta?
Moem,
Thanks for your suggestions but I'm not sure what your objection is to my question being included in part of the last thread - the question was pertinent to the thread title.

If you feel, I've deviated from the thread title, I do apologise,
But i felt it was the most appropriate thread.

But, thanks, I'll give Pinta a try.... :-)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

callagg2 wrote: I'm not sure what your objection is to my question being included in part of the last thread - the question was pertinent to the thread title.
It was, but we don't revive topics that are more than 6 months old: it's in our guidelines, because very often, people will be talking about different versions of Mint and of applications, and things get way too confusing. The simple rule here is that a new question deserves a new topic. Of course you can link back to older topics for reference.

callagg2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by callagg2 »

Moem, thanks for all your suggestions,
I've tried Pinta, and unfortunately I find it a poor replacement for MS Paint.

While the UI of Pinta looks nice, and it appears simple to use, it seems to make even the most basic tasks difficult to do.

For example, selecting an area of a diagram and moving it.
This starts off easy, you simply select the "Rectangular Select" and then choose the area you wish to move.
But, then to move it, you select the "Move Selection" arrow and it SEEMS to allow you move the rectangle,
but then it just leaves you with a flashing blank rectangle in the area that you are pasting(moving) the original rectangle to.
Pressing Enter/Return does not do anything.
There is no relevant information here https://pinta-project.com/pintaproject/pinta/howto

I tried Tux Paint - this wouldn't even allow me open my original image, so this is not a credible replacement.

"GNU Paint (Gpaint 0.3.3)" is marginally better than Gnome Paint Drawing Editor (which is Gnome-paint 0.4.0) but again not a great replacement.

So,reluctantly, I tried kolourpaint4 along with it taking up 238.4MB of disk space because of all the KDE libraries to bring into Cinnamon,
Moving a rectangular of an image is just like it is in MS Paint - easy!
It is so far ahead of anything that Gnome has created - in my opinion.

The rectangular selection tool works like it does in MS Paint, the Zoom function works the same as MS Paint if not better,
It is annoying that you don't seem to be able to move the "Colors: KolourPaint Default" toolbar to appear along the vertical axis
like it is done in GNU Paint, but there is very little else that is wrong with it.

I'm going to mark this thread as Solved, the ONLY replacement for MS Paint that I would recommend is KolourPaint4.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [Solved] Linux alternatives to "Paint" in Windows

Post by Moem »

callagg2 wrote:reluctantly, I tried kolourpaint4 along with it taking up 238.4MB of disk space because of all the KDE libraries to bring into Cinnamon,
Moving a rectangular of an image is just like it is in MS Paint - easy!
It is so far ahead of anything that Gnome has created - in my opinion.
I'm glad that you found something that works for you! To be honest it's been so many years since I used Paint, I don't really know whether or not something works in the same way. But it's always nice to find something that's so familiar that it works for you almost instantly, isn't it. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”