Before you post please read how to get help
Costas
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] PIX image viewer and browser

Post by Costas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:39 pm

I am having troubles with Pix, I cannot understand how it works. My issues are:

1. Pix is such a generic name, searching the forums does not return any posts
2. I can only browse my images per folder (that I have created) and this way I cannot see images in sub-folders
4. There are no entries in the help file under cataloguing
5. Creating catalogues per date taken creates catalogues for every single day there was a picture taken. I therefore cannot see all my images per month or per year
6. Many issues on github site of Pix are unanswered and no one has been assigned.

I found how to search for images (through Pix) on my home directory and apply filters, however it is cumbersome and I cannot spend time creating catalogues for each folder and for each month etc.

So for now Pix seems to me like an advanced folder browser rather than a photo management suite.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a better photo management suite? I have found some recommendations and will try them, I just wonder what Linux Mint community says.

Thanks
Last edited by Costas on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 16
Level 16

Re: PIX image viewer and browser

Post by catweazel » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Caution: Dancing Wu Li Master and Official curmudgeon-in-chief

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:24 am

Pix is an image viewer with a basic set of image editing tools, and it is adequate for the task. I think it is a nice program, but I also think there are better tools for the job. It is not suitable for managing photographs.

For photo management I recommend digiKam and Shotwell. I prefer digiKam, but I do not dislike Shotwell.

http://www.digikam.org
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Shotwell

andyf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyf » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi Costas,

I've stopped using Pix for image browsing/viewing, I now use Geeqie for that. The main reason is that Pix doesn't cope very well with HiDPI screens:

On my laptop I need to keep "User interface scaling" on Auto otherwise screen icons and fonts are way too small. Trouble is that this setting causes images viewed with Pix to get down-sampled before being re-scaled for display - this results in unsharp images on screen. For some reason Geeqie doesn't suffer from this.

I've never found a photo management application I could get on with (none of them work the way I do) so I do it the old-fashioned way - manually.

Costas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Costas » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:18 pm

catweazel wrote: Best Linux Photo Management Software in 2017

That's the first link from google a search for photo management suite linux.

Second link: The best Linux photo software for editing and managing photos
Third: Top linux photo software for managing editing snaps
Thanks catweazel, I had already used google to search for alternatives prior to posting here,
BenTrabetere wrote: Pix is an image viewer with a basic set of image editing tools, and it is adequate for the task. I think it is a nice program, but I also think there are better tools for the job. It is not suitable for managing photographs.

For photo management I recommend digiKam and Shotwell. I prefer digiKam, but I do not dislike Shotwell.

http://www.digikam.org
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Shotwell
Thanks Ben, I am trying out Shotwell. I stayed away from digiKam because its KDE application and needed so many dependencies. Now that I found how to purge installations, I will try it.
andyf wrote:Hi Costas,

I've stopped using Pix for image browsing/viewing, I now use Geeqie for that. The main reason is that Pix doesn't cope very well with HiDPI screens:

On my laptop I need to keep "User interface scaling" on Auto otherwise screen icons and fonts are way too small. Trouble is that this setting causes images viewed with Pix to get down-sampled before being re-scaled for display - this results in unsharp images on screen. For some reason Geeqie doesn't suffer from this.

I've never found a photo management application I could get on with (none of them work the way I do) so I do it the old-fashioned way - manually
Thanks Andy, I didn't realise about the the hidpi issue of Pix, I am on hidpi too and seemed ok. Geeqie seems like a simple viewer.

So overall, both Shotwell and digiKam seem to be good for my needs.

Shotwell:
+looks more aligned to the gnome feel that I use (cinnamon)
+is simpler and quicker to use
-seems better to use if my library was already tagged and duplicates removed etc (which isn't)

digiKam
+more powerful (has fuzzy search to find duplicates and apparently I can draw something and it will try to find a photo that matches it!)
-problem of small icons on my hidpi screen

Solution
I will use digiKam to try and sort out my library and then stick to Shotwell for its simplicity

Return to “Software & Applications”