Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
otadmin
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved) Sweethome 3d Version 5.6

Post by otadmin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:10 pm

The repositories contain sweethome 3d Version 5.3. On the SH homepage is Version 5.6 available which provides some useful improvements. I run it from the .deb file and it seemed quite slow. Has anybody experience if it save to use the newer version on LM 18.3 latest version?
Last edited by otadmin on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Sweethome 3d Version 5.6

Post by catweazel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:25 pm

While you may find someone here who has experience with that software, you're likely to get a quicker response on the application's forum: http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/index
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

otadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by otadmin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Point taken. Will post a possible reply here.

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:25 am

otadmin wrote:The repositories contain sweethome 3d Version 5.3. On the SH homepage is Version 5.6 available which provides some useful improvements. I run it from the .deb file and it seemed quite slow. Has anybody experience if it save to use the newer version on LM latest version?
I have LM-MATE v18.3 on my antique system, and SH3D v5.6 runs fine. I cannot claim to have extensive experience with the program, and I have not done anything that would qualify as serious work with it, but I have played with it on several rainy weekends.

What .deb file did you use and where did you find it? The files available on the SH3D website are tarballs. The filename for the 64-bit version is SweetHome3D-5.6-linux-x64.tgz. If this is the file you downloaded, what did you do with it?

otadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by otadmin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:38 am

Sorry, I did not explain clearly. I downloaded SweetHome3D-5.6-linux-x64.tgz from the sweethome website, unpacked it and did double-click the .deb file in the folder. It asked me to install or run and I just did run it. Loaded the Furniture libraries from the 5.3 installation and functioned well but slow.

From my observation it is running ok, but I would like some encouragement before installing it loosing my present 5.3 version.

Interesting, in 5.6 on can turn furniture around all 3 axis. I tilted a life-boat and saved it in 5.6. When I opened in 5.3 it told me that not all alterations from 5.6 could be displayed and the boat was level to the floor again.

otadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by otadmin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:39 am

Sorry, I did not explain clearly. I downloaded SweetHome3D-5.6-linux-x64.tgz from the sweethome website, unpacked it and did double-click the .deb file in the folder. It asked me to install or run and I just did run it. Loaded the Furniture libraries from the 5.3 installation and functioned well but slow.

From my observation it is running ok, but I would like some encouragement before installing it loosing my present 5.3 version.

Interesting, in 5.6 on can turn furniture around all 3 axis. I tilted a life-boat and saved it in 5.6. When I opened in 5.3 it told me that not all alterations from 5.6 could be displayed and the boat was level to the floor again.

catweazel
Level 15
Level 15

Post by catweazel » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:47 am

otadmin wrote:before installing it loosing my present 5.3 version.
If 5.3 is in the repos, uninstall it. You can remove the later version and reinstall 5.3 later if you wish.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:48 am

Hi "otadmin",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

This is a Java application, so you must have Java 8 runtime installed...

- How to Install Sweet Home 3D on Ubuntu 16.04, 16.10 using their downloaded archive file.
https://howto-ubuntunew.blogspot.com/20 ... 53-in.html

download their Linux installer (archive) file from the link below, 64-bit or 32-bit
http://www.sweethome3d.com/download.jsp

Bring up your file manager, right-click the archive file (ex: SweetHome3D-5.6-linux-x64.tgz) and extract here, which creates a "SweetHome3D-5.6" folder. They recommend moving the folder underneath your root "opt" (options folder), but you do not have to do that. Just double click the script file "SweetHome3D" within their folder to run it. You can also create a desktop shortcut launcher or new menu item to this script file.

- Sweet Home 3D 5.4 Released, Install in Ubuntu 16.04 via PPA, February 2, 2017
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... 4-via-ppa/

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:
Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu xenial-getdeb apps" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list'

wget -q -O - http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt update

sudo apt install sweethome3d sweethome3d-furniture

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

otadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by otadmin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:12 am

Well the question was is it safe to install in LM 18.3? I did dive in, installed it an so far it is running smoothly and quickly with no quirks encountered so far.

Am using the program since a couple of years and it is quite useful for designing workshop or shop layouts. My flat is there and I change furniture first in sweethome 3d. But the version in the repositories is 5.3 and the actual version is 5.6. It also comes with Java8.

Will report esp. on the speed it runs at.

otadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (Solved) Sweethome 3d Version 5.6

Post by otadmin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:03 am

Well, so far not one problem encountered. But I enjoy a couple of new features esp. the "joine walls" one.
Thanks for your attention.

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Re: (Solved) Sweethome 3d Version 5.6

Post by phd21 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:39 am

Hi "otadmin",

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

Glad it is working well for you.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Software & Applications”